Thread: Late 19th century reskin

Default Late 19th century reskin

Hi guys ! First of all, thanks to TGW devs for this great mod.

While waiting for the next update, I thought it would be cool to do some reskin of the early era units.

In my opinion, game mechanics (line formations in particular) are better suited for movement warfare, before the trench era.

That's why I've reskined all units for all the major factions, with (90%) historically accurate uniforms from the 1880-1890 time period.

For now, it's just for my personal use. I don't know it GTW devs are okay with submods and edits, but if so, let me know and I'll be happy to share the .packs !

Here is a preview >>>

FRANCE

FRANCE

Line infantry :

Light Infantry

Troupes de marine

Dragoons

Hussards

Legion étrangère

Zouaves

Tirailleurs sénégalais

Chasseurs d'Afrique

---

GREAT BRITAIN

Line infantry

Coldstream guards

Dragoons

Yeomanry

Australian light horses

---

BELGIUM

Carabiniers

Chasseurs

Guides

---

AUSTRIA HUNGARY

Line infanty

Jagers

Tyrol Kaiserjagers

Hussars

Dragoner

---

ITALY

Line infantry

Granatieri di Sardinia

Bersaglieri

Guard carabiners

Default Re: Late 19th century reskin

Here is some more !

GERMANY

Line infantry

Bavarian infantry (jagers)

Alpenkorps

Death head hussars

Dragoner

Ulanen

Garde Kuirassier

---

UNITED STATES

National Guard

US. Cavalry

Buffalo soldiers

---

RUSSIA

Line infantry

Hussars

Dragoons

Cossacks

nicely done!

B-DizL's Avatar TGW Lead Modeller
    Patrician

Wow man awesome work! + rep

You should definitely release this as a sub mod. You can even post links over on our moddb page to promote it if you like

EDIT: Have you thought about making a Franco- Prussian war mod?
    Last edited by B-DizL; February 29, 2020 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by B-DizL View Post
    Wow man awesome work! + rep

You should definitely release this as a sub mod. You can even post links over on our moddb page to promote it if you like

EDIT: Have you thought about making a Franco- Prussian war mod?
    Thanks man !

The issue is that I'm no modder at all, I only can do texturing, so working on a proper mod with a dedicated campaign would take me a year, but I'll release the full reskin asap !

Together with the GTW campaign, I guess it would already make a nice Franco-Prussian war mod.

I didn't edit the artillery units yet, and my .pack files are in a mess (I even modified some of CA) so it still needs a bit of polishing before I can upload the files.

Wow! I've been waiting for a mod like this for a very very long time. The only other mods that touches upon the late Victorian period, would be the American Civil War mods for ETW and NTW, and the Total FOTS mod for Shogun. But neither of these have campaigns nor set in Europe.

This is actually an excellent idea since the NTW engine is optimized for Pre-WW1 warfare, it's a shame no one thought of a Victorian Era mod before. My only suggestion would be more Prussian Blue, red piping, and glossy gold-trimmed pickelhaubes for the Germans, I am an avid uniform texturer myself from Warband but I can't seem to understand .pack files.

Is there a mod that limits the recruitable units in the Grand Campaign to the Early era? Cheers and have a good one!

B-DizL's Avatar TGW Lead Modeller
    Patrician

Ah ok, I think people would love just a reskin even, with everything youve added there.

I actually made a model of a Mitrailleuse a while ago for another guy that was doing a proper franco prussian war mod but they never finished it.

Would you be interested in doing some texture work for the main TGW mod? If you have the time of course.

Quote Originally Posted by B-DizL View Post
    Ah ok, I think people would love just a reskin even, with everything youve added there.

I actually made a model of a Mitrailleuse a while ago for another guy that was doing a proper franco prussian war mod but they never finished it.

Would you be interested in doing some texture work for the main TGW mod? If you have the time of course.

Sure ! I won't be able to do much since I can only work on .DDS (I don't even have a 3D software) and I'm living in an african country where the internet connexion is quite awful, but I'd be glad to help.

If you wanna send me the machine gun I can also try to add it to the reskin.

Quote Originally Posted by c0balt08 View Post
    Wow! I've been waiting for a mod like this for a very very long time. The only other mods that touches upon the late Victorian period, would be the American Civil War mods for ETW and NTW, and the Total FOTS mod for Shogun. But neither of these have campaigns nor set in Europe.

This is actually an excellent idea since the NTW engine is optimized for Pre-WW1 warfare, it's a shame no one thought of a Victorian Era mod before. My only suggestion would be more Prussian Blue, red piping, and glossy gold-trimmed pickelhaubes for the Germans, I am an avid uniform texturer myself from Warband but I can't seem to understand .pack files.

Is there a mod that limits the recruitable units in the Grand Campaign to the Early era? Cheers and have a good one!
    Yeah, I thought about coloring the german infantry with blue, but almost all of the late 19th army wear blue jackets and I like their feldgrau uniform. Probably gonna change that before the release.

I actually modified DB files ("units to factions allowed" or something like that), so that mid and late era units are not recruitable anymore during the campaign, only for custom battles.

This is too cool, you bringing NTW into victorian era
    Keep the good work, yolo

Great work, I would love to see some opportunity for Franco-Prussian war of 1870, your re-skin could totally fit that era.

For that time period however, muzzle-fed rifles would need to be re-introduced as well as tight ranked lines.