Thread: a modding question about factions unite

Default a modding question about factions unite

hi
    i have very wierd question and dont know what to to so
    what should i do to make for example right now first unite for roman is peasants but how can i make it hastati or even a cavalry unite ?
    and something else whats AI faction recruit priority ? and how can i change it so they build a certain unite more
    bcuz i know in Medieval II we can do such things
    thank u

ps sorry for my bad english not my mother tongue

Default Re: a modding question about factions unite

nothing /

still waiting .......
    is it possible or not

Hi Persian Lords, you donīt need to make double posting, you only need to be patient until someone that has the answer decide to invest their time to explain to you.

I donīt understand very well the first part of your question but I guess that is related or same as second part.

Until I know, how AI decide how to recruit specific units is based on code from different files.

1. descr_strat.txt: this file has a some lines on the top of the different faction entries which you can see this:

faction rome, fortified caesar
    faction baktria, trader henry
    ...etc

The part underlines in bold indicates certain attitudes of the factions and may have a slight influence on their recruitment decision.

2. descr_formations_ai.txt: in my opinion, this is the most important file to manage this aspect. In this file you will find a sort of deployments and battle formations which AI will follow in different situations or/and per faction. I think that this is the way how macedon decide to recruit 9 units of phalanx instead of 9 units of companion cavalry. And is obviously why parthia recruit archery cavalry. Apparently, this file is describing how much units and types will be recruited, so itīs connected to export_descr_unit.txt, because you decide in this other file what kind of unit is every entry. For example, hoplite soldier use to be spearmen type. Look up this:

(from export_descr_unit.txt file)

type RTRA sparta infantry homoioi ;DORY
    dictionary RTRA_sparta_infantry_homoioi
    category infantry
    class spearmen
    voice_type Heavy_1
    soldier sparta_infantry_homoioi, 30, 0, 1.3
    officer sparta_officer_polemarchos
    officer sparta_officer_semeiophoros
    officer hellenistic_officer_auletes_heavy

etc

Apparently, this file is influencing how faction recruit different units on campaign. My advice is that you should find a tutorial about descr_formations_ai.txt before change something or you will get seveal CTDs going into battlemap.

3. export_descr_buildings.txt: I think that the last factor is related with this file and descr_strat.txt because even indicating factions how much types of every units they must recruit, they wonīt unless you provide them with the proper buildings and conditions for do it. I mean that the city of Rome wonīt recruit equites if you have not build the stables or cavalry barracks. In the same way, if the internal conditions to access the units are difficult, they will take more time to get this unit avalaible to recruit. Maybe the reason why roman are recruiting more peasant instead hastati is related with this. Maybe the neccessary barracks to provide the recruiting is not build yet on different cities and finally they recruit the units that they can...

I have considered this three factors. The second one need deeper knoweledge, so I recommend to begin with the third one. Anyway, I think that could be more and maybe another member can give you more or better information. And donīt worry, my english it could be better as well.

Good luck and tell me if something of this is working.

=)

ROME TOTAL REALISM ANABASIS FORUM: HERE

hi
    sorry for not being patient
    about second part of my question i sorta understand what so said and i will try in game and will see that i can implant it correctly
    and about first part that it was not clear
    imagine a roman city like capua it was upgrade to large city and all building is complete so u can recuit all troops
    so in recruitment page first is peasants second is town watch third is archers and so on till hastati is like 8th or 9th in line
    my question is here how can i make a 9th hastati first in recruitment bar ?
    honesty i dont know how can i say it any other way as i said my english is very bad
    thank u

About second part of your question, first try to upgrade the roman barracks buildings on the different cities in descr_strat.txt file. Then, you will get on campaign more cities allowing the recruiment of better units.

About the first part, I understand that you want to change the position of the roman Hastati on recruiment bar. Well... Iīve never tried to change that, but giving you a crazy solution, I would change the position of Hastati on export_descr_units.txt. My argument is based on the next reason: if you change the position of any unit entry on EDU (upper or lower position), in custom battle menu, you will see that they are organized by type and by position. If you have too much units in the bar menu, the units entries on EDUīs lower places wonīt appear on game screen.

If put Hastati entry on upper EDU positio doesnīt work, try to do it on export_descr_buildings.txt in recruiment lines with the same criteria (upper/lower position). If this second option works, donīt forget to change the line on every building level (muster_field, provincial_barracks, etc).

Hope that is helpful

=)

ROME TOTAL REALISM ANABASIS FORUM: HERE

i did changed its position in EDU and EDB but nothing change
    i think their position is sorted in some other place

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Recruitment Bar - this is sorted first by unit category (infantry etc) then by type (missile), mercenaries are sorted the same way but separate. The units in the column are then sorted by their recruitment cost.
    All of the data is read from the EDU file.

ok i tried it all but i sorta find it
    with lowering Cost for custom battles it show first
    honesty i didnt saw that coming

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Ah yes, my bad - it's custom battle cost, not recruitment cost.