Thread: Linux mods support

Default Linux mods support

Linux noob here. Linux Mint 19.3. Recently installed it and Medieval runs great. Although installing mods seems to be a problem. Tried several solutions from the forum and nothing worked.
    My particular situation. I tried installing Third Age 3.2. And when I run the game nothing happens (the mouse cursor turns into a ring and that's it).
    I read some of the posts in the forum about the mod support for mods in Medieval 2 TW for Linux, but nobody made it clear.

Do mods work only when you run the game through Wine?

So, is Linux capable of running mods without Wine?

Thank you guys.

Default Re: Linux mods support

The Linux version of Med 2 is definitely capable of running mods on it. I personally really enjoy playing stainless steel on it.Other mods might sometimes prove an issue due to the custom settlement bug.

In order to make this work, and I am assuming you have the steam version here, you have to extract/install the mod folder to the directory .../steamapps/commonMedieval \ II\ Total\ War/share/data/mods.
    Then, you have to batch rename everything to lowercase. The simplest way of doing this is, with Foo being your mod folder and from above directory, run the commands <code> zip -0 -r foo.zip Foo/* </code> and subsequently <code> unzip -LL foo.zip </code>.

It should work perfectly after that, when passing the line --features.mod=mods/foo in your launch options (properties -> general -> set launch options) and launching the base version of the game. If you desire to once again play the vanila game, simply remove the line from the launch options.

Do be aware that custom settlements pose a massive issue for mods in Linux. This is an issue for every custom settlement which uses custom animations. For more information, see this link.

I hope this will help resolve your issues. If you have the disc version, it should launch normally through wine, including mods.

With kind regards,
    vds001