Thread: Which condition affects general recruited from a building?

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Default Which condition affects general recruited from a building?

Hi Guys,
    there're 7 ways a general can appear in-game. In some of them the triggers will fire to define his traits. I've got a problem with the last one:

* born in family - CharacterComesOfAge
    * offered for marriage - OfferedForMarriage
    * offered for adoption - OfferedForAdoption
    * Man of the Hour (after battle) - LesserGeneralOfferedForAdoption
    * from the script - no trigger (must have scripted traits)
    * starting generals - no trigger (must have pre-defined traits)
    * recruited from a building as a unit - ????

Can you enlighten me?
    JoC
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Default Re: Which condition affects general recruited from a building?

You can see how client rulers traits work in EBII.

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

There's a workaround here.

Quote Originally Posted by Withwnar View Post
    The reason is because OfferedForAdoption fires on him. Strange. The game does not ask me if I wish to adopt, and he isn't present in the family tree, so I'm guessing that he isn't actually adopted. Nevertheless, OfferedForAdoption is firing and giving him the IsNotANewlyRecruitedGeneral trait before his TurnEnd trigger fires (so this adoption 'offer' must be happening as he's created) and that's enough to break the concept...
    Can I infere from this that for a recruited general the triggers for "OfferedForAdoption " will fire?

Yes. But on its own there's no way to tell whether it is firing on a recruited general or a normal/real adoption. So if you're giving traits in that event for the sake of recruited generals then adopted generals will get them too.

The IsNotANewlyRecruitedGeneral idea does let you distinguish between them, if you don't include an OfferedForAdoption trigger for it. At least, that's what that post goes on to say but, now, I don't see how that's possible. An adopted general who ends his first turn in a settlement will still be seen as a recruited general by the main traits-giving trigger because he's had no chance to pick up the IsNotANewlyRecruitedGeneral trait yet. Unless... I don't suppose that an adopted general gets a CharacterTurnStart fired upon him after you agree to adopt him? If so then all good.
    Last edited by Withwnar; February 22, 2020 at 07:07 PM.

Thanks a lot Withwnar.

At the moment I don't need to distinguish between those OfA and recruited, so I'm fine.

Just to recall and to confirm: ComingOfAge, OfferedForMarriage, OfferedForAdoption, LesserGeneralOfferedForAdoption take place NOT in a settlement, so any trigger with SettlementBuildingExists won't fire on them. However, they take place already on the map, so any trigger with FactionBuildingExists will fire on them?

Some, maybe all, of those could take place when he's in a settlement but none of those events export settlement so any attempt to use SettlementBuildingExists will just give you an error (and possibly still 'work', including working when it shouldn't: when the building does not exist).

They all export faction so FactionBuildingExists should work.

Ok, thanks Withwnar. To sum up:

7 ways a general can appear in-game and when the triggers will fire to define his traits:
    * born in family - CharacterComesOfAge
    * offered for marriage - OfferedForMarriage
    * offered for adoption - OfferedForAdoption
    * recruited (from a building as a Bodyguard unit) - OfferedForAdoption
    * Man of the Hour (after battle) - LesserGeneralOfferedForAdoption
    * from the script - no trigger (must have scripted traits or normal triggers firing in case he doesn't have them)
    * starting generals - no trigger (must have pre-defined traits or normal triggers firing in case he doesn't have them)

Besides, it's important not to use the condition SettlementBuildingExists for the triggers of the initial traits (CoA, OfA, OfM, LGOfA).
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; February 23, 2020 at 06:01 AM.

it's important not to use the condition SettlementBuildingExists
    True but that also holds for other conditions which require settlement to be exported (e.g. SettlementName), and conditions which require other things not exported by those events.