Thread: Geomod mapping error

Default Geomod mapping error

Hello to everyone, I am having a problem. I started to mod the Stainless Steel 6.4 map, I replaced it with my America continent map and it opened and let me edit it just fine. Problem is in a moment I started adding some regions, I added three and when I was saving the changes in case I make a mistake Geomod instantly closed. No crash window or anything, I tried to open again and the same happens when it reaches to 79%. The only thing I have done was deleting most of the regions of the original mod and just left 3 to delete at last order. But I dont think that's the problem. Any ideas?
    Last edited by Australis; February 19, 2020 at 09:31 PM.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Geomod mapping error

It's not a good idea to totally change the map in a full conversion mod. Rather use my Bare Geomod set up which is meant for exactly that.

For Geomod to work with it you will require a minimum set up of your map:

• all map tga files, map_regions with three equally large regions
    • descr_regions with basic entries for those regions
    • the text\imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt file with the entries for those three regions, converted to STRING.BIN format with the converter
    • descr_strat.txt with two factions, one of them the slave faction. Having one named character for the non slave faction is sufficient, assign the regions\settlements to that faction without any developement

You can find examples of a set up like this in my map collection.

Once you have added these files then make a backup of the mod folder. Now open the mod with the Geomod tool, 'verify' all regions and save. If it doesn't freeze then repeat the back up after which you can freely edit the map with the tool. Do have a look at my manual as well for more in depth info.

Hello Gigantus! I know it was a weird idea, but I liked the units and models of SS so I tried to make my own sub-mod. But it failed miserably, I tried everything you said and there's no solution. As you said, it's bad to modify a modification. My map works perfectly and I can work on it without problems when I use it on stand alone, without integrating it to any mod, but since I don't know how to model or import units and factions from other mods I wanted to use a mod with already new units. No one wanted to join my team or help so I was trying to modify already existing mods. Thanks for the help!

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

There are one or two tutorials around in the text editing tutorial forum about transferring units, have a look.