Thread: DEI and Rome II HD

Semisalis

Default DEI and Rome II HD

Are the two mods compatible and most importantly will it make sense to use Rome II HD with DEI? Are there any left over vanilla textures in DEI that might be improved by Rome II HD?

Dead*Man*Wilson's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: DEI and Rome II HD

Typically, graphical mods are compatible. Celticus' work is excellent and we're all huge fans of his. To my knowledge, the mod only improves textures from vanilla (as far as unit assets go). I believe a lot of the the environmental stuff is ported from Attila. DeI introduces tons of custom, made-from-scratch textures and assets that wouldn't be improved by the mod.

Short answer, yes it's compatible.

Mostly compatible. Some textures seem to conflict. You may have to make a few small adjustments.

Semisalis

Well after playing several days i can confirm that some textures are indeed conflicting. Some weird chain mails and some missing weapons but nothing major so far. Which is a shame because the mod actually vastly improves spears/javelin shafts which are in base DEI. A compatible version would be very nice to have...

Maetharin's Avatar Senator

The funny bit about Rome 2 HD is that some of DeIīs helmets seem to be to affected by it also.
    To the point where I have seen the same version of a helmet with one of them not having the HD version.

Quote Originally Posted by Goffredo85 View Post
    Well after playing several days i can confirm that some textures are indeed conflicting. Some weird chain mails and some missing weapons but nothing major so far. Which is a shame because the mod actually vastly improves spears/javelin shafts which are in base DEI. A compatible version would be very nice to have...
    IIRC the mod is modular, so just deactivate the armour pack and there should be no conflicts.
    I havenīt seen any missing weapons yet, so no idea where that comes from, itīs supposed to simply replace textures, nothing more.
    Last edited by Maetharin; February 22, 2020 at 06:19 AM.
    "Ceterum censeo Carthaginem delendam esse!"

Marcus Porcius Cato Censorius

"I concur!"

​Me

Semisalis

Yes i know it. In fact i deactivated the armour pack and solved the problem. Didn't see any better texture with it on, so no big loss here. Regarding the weapons i was playing a custom battle with HATG dlc and noticed some roman, syracusan and carthaginians units with missing swords. A quick test with the hd pack off solved the problem. It seems to affect the greek xiphos sword. But amongst the many units in DEI there might be other missing weapons, who knows...

Here's my edited version of the armour pack, think I got most of the DEI conflicts. Hopefully it will be of use to someone. Missing weapons seems to have something to do with the Xiphos model, but I never managed to figure out what to change. Maybe leave the weapons pack deactivated for now.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/uglg1cljf39l4b9/%2540celt_rome2_hd_armours.pack/file
    Last edited by Icarus Smicarus; February 23, 2020 at 09:47 AM.

The xiphos and celtic sword textures gave me invisible weapons if I recall correctly, as well as possibly another sword, so I deleted the affecting textures (and models perhaps, not sure).

Semisalis

@ Icarus Smicarus
    thanks very much for your pack! will definitely use it!
    @Dardo21
    How can i do that?

With a PFM file manager.

Semisalis

i have pfm. could you provide me more detailed instructions please?

For weapons, you need to go to variantmeshes -> _variantmodels -> man -> weapons and -> tex, in tex you'll find diffuse, gloss, specular and normal .dds files. There you have to delete the files that are named as their corresponding .rigid_model_v2 files
    For example, the celtic1_axe_03 dds files correspond to the celtic_war_axe_03.rigid_model.v2 the texture files aren't always identically named, but there should be a pretty limited amount of similar sounding files in that mod, I just deleted all texture files named hellenic_xiphox, celtic_sword etc. I am not sure if I had to delete any rigid models as well, so you might have to delete those as well, in case the weapons stay invisible.

Semisalis

While searching on the steam workshop page of Rome II HD pack i've stumbled on the solution which another user already found in 2018. Seems the variant mesh definition for the improved xiphos was miswritten by celticus and it will work only if you installed rome 2 in the program86 folder. following the instructions provided by this user i was able to, at least i think so, modify the file in order for the xiphos to work in DEI. this is the new pack file if someone else is interested.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Goffredo85; February 24, 2020 at 12:09 PM.

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Goffredo85 View Post
    While searching on the steam workshop page of Rome II HD pack i've stumbled on the solution which another user already found in 2018. Seems the variant mesh definition for the improved xiphos was miswritten by celticus and it will work only if you installed rome 2 in the program86 folder. following the instructions provided by this user i was able to, at least i think so, modify the file in order for the xiphos to work in DEI. this is the new pack file if someone else is interested.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I remember now :p HollandNL asked about the same problem back then, so he posted my quote from the forums as the solution . Note that the armor might also have a bug, since I had to look one up: "The rotten apple is kltras_linothorax_ELITE which uses 3 variations of linothorax_elite, of which only variant works properly (I think it's 02 could be 01 though), you can either solve this by importing kltras_linothorax_ELITE into the armor submod and then removing the other variants, or you can go to the variantmesheshes - > variantmodels -> man -> armour -> tex inside the armor submod and remove the four entries of linothorax_elite (diffuse, gloss_map, normal and specular)."