Thread: The Outsider (2020)

Default The Outsider (2020)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8550800/
    Investigators are confounded over an unspeakable crime that's been committed.
    Continuing it in a different thread since i think it deserves the attention and noise it deserves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    The Outsider.

Up to ep5. Two more to go.

Really well made, in the style of True Detective season 1. It's written by Stephen King so might go tits up, aliens, demonic possesion, Indian burial grounds ect ect... Who knows. But up to EP5 it's really tight and creepy. Ben Mendelsohn is doing a turn as the lead and pulling all his acting chops out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
    @HS
    I've also heard good about the show and will watch it tonight. Haven't watched some nail biting in a while.

I've binged watched 7 episodes and i ing love it. Like the detective Raplh i'm also trying to rationalize the whole thing behind the murders and whodunit but so far everything is irrational and bizarre and makes you want to believe the whole El Cuco theory. Can't wait from the next episode and see more it.

The suspense is killing me. Who else is watching it?

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Outsider (2020)

I thought there was only 7 episodes... FFS...

Yeh, it's an interesting take on how one persons disbelief can influence all around them, no matter how much evidence stacks up. On the other hand, if Ralph can rationalise it he going to have one hell of a 'told you so' moment.

But he won't because King wrote this...

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

This is King. There is zero chance the ending makes sense
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

On the other hand, if Ralph can rationalise it he going to have one hell of a 'told you so' moment.
    I'm hoping for exactly the same as for me it has to all make some sort of sense. But it's a unique show where it first starts with True Detective vibe and then slowly transforms into mythical route and still you're unsure where it will all go in the end.

Blog Entries

Great time twist in EP 9. Ish, did you get the title of the episode, 'Tigers and Bears.' A small thing but nicely woven in.

Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my...

And that ending, nice...

Finale is going to be awesome. Absolutely shocking cliffhanger ending.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Poor Alec.

Jack's sniping skills will be tough to beat.

And no, i didn't get the hidden meaning of the title "Tigers & Bears". What does it signify?

Blog Entries

'Lions and Tigers and Bears,' oh my.' Is a line from the Wizard of Oz. As is, 'we're not in Kansas anymore' - commonly used when things get very strange/dangerous.

They tied it in to the show where the boy wanted to see the Saber Tooth Tiger cave, while the Cuco tried to abduct him to the bear cave...

Yeah thanks to his Granddad he's still alive. Granddad being a bear himself would've ed El Cuco.

Blog Entries

I think he scratched grandad. Faily common in King's writing, the bad guy never really dies.

I think he scratched grandad. Faily common in King's writing, the bad guy never really dies.
    Oh !
    Last edited by Ishan; March 05, 2020 at 11:24 AM.

Blog Entries

Oh, the end is good.

Yeah very good end. Was holly infected in the end or what? Where did she get the scratch from?

Blog Entries

There were a number of odd 'clues' at the end. Ralph says they can clear Terry's name. Holly replies 'who's Terry.' We then see her listening to music which she already said she doesn't like. Then the scratch. There's also Ralph asking 'what else is out there' which Holly doesn't reply to but does give a knowing smile. Holly also says the creature recognised her as an outsider.

I guess we'll have to wait and see if there's a season 2...

Oh yeah nice observations. Season 2 would be most welcome. I like these types of shows.

I am at the start of ep3. This seems to be on the stupid side of things, imo :/

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I have to suppose there is some twist, and not that the pale fingerprints are the dead guy's father's (who was possessed or some similar garbage).
    But it is King, so likely either that or worse garbage
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"

Praefectus
    Citizen

Haven't seen it yet I may though because King's stuff can be corralled by good production into interesting films.

Of course the title is derivative, both of Camus and more especially Lovecraft. The Lovecraft story is a little Poe-type "it was a mirror! and I was the monster!" set piece with shades of Amontillado and Telltale Heart..sort of....
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Not sure if that was a good idea, though. King is no Camus, nor Lovecraft for that matter. Not that those two didn't have their own literary issues, but from an intellectual standpoint King - despite having some talent, I do like a few of his short stories... - is really a hack :/

I am on episode 4 and already considering abandoning this, but with the coronavirus it's not like I have something better to do

Edit: In the end I gave up, half-way through ep4. I liked the detective actor, but imo the plot is no good.
    Last edited by Kyriakos; March 20, 2020 at 01:28 AM.