Thread: 2019 MODDING AWARDS - COMMENTARY THREAD

Flinn's Avatar The Berlusca Abides!
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Gaming Director

Blog Entries

Default 2019 MODDING AWARDS - COMMENTARY THREAD

Hello there fellow TWCenteres, and welcome to the 2019 Modding Awards!

Compared to the 2018 edition, which was somewhat a "revolution" in term of rules and categories, this year we haven't changed much. We have kept the grouped games categories for the Warscape Engine and included Three Kingdoms in the "Steel" one. Classical categories haven't been included in the 2019 edition, since they are biennial awards.

As for the 2018 Awards, in case you have missed the reasons behind the "revolution" I invite you to read the 2018 Commentary Thread and follow the links posted there.

As for the 2018 Results, please feel free to check the Eagle Standard's Article or refer directly to the Official Results thread

Also, please remember that this is the Commentary Thread for this year's edition of the Awards, so use it for questions, suggestions and ideas for the future of the Awards; let me remember you that any discussion about modding in general does not belong here and should be instead be posted in the Modding Discussion forum or in the Q&S.

If anyone wants to help spread the word around, please feel free to use the dedicated signature bar, as explained below:
    [URL="https://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?1680-The-TWC-Modding-Awards"]
    [IMG]https://www.twcenter.net/images/content/awards/Mod_Awards/MA%202019%20sigbar.png[/IMG][/URL]

Just copy paste the code above into your signature box (go to "My Account" --> "My Settings - Edit Signature") and you should be getting this

Last edited by Flinn; February 18, 2020 at 04:48 AM.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22& Socrates1984; of the Imperial House of Hader

Default Re: 2019 MODDING AWARDS - COMMENTARY THREAD

Hiya Flinn,

In the rules thread for the modding awards, it is not really clearly stated what the time restraints are for nominated mods. I mean, I assume it is something like "mods released in 2019" or "mods with updates released in 2019", but neither of those things are clearly stated. Maybe it would be worth adding something about that in the rules thread.
    Genesis of Empires | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Blog Entries

from the FAQs (bottom of the rule's thread)

Q) What is the specific time period for 2019?
    A) Any where from 00:00 GMT on the 01 Jan 2019 up and including 23:59 on the 31 Dec 2019.

Q) What counts as a 'mod'?
    A) For the purpose of these awards any public file that was released or updated in 2019 that can be downloaded from TWC or has a thread/forums on TWC that links to a download location that makes any change to any version(s) of the game or its expansions or downloadable content.

Q) Who counts as a 'modder'?
    A) For the purpose of these awards anyone who is a registered member of TWC and in 2019 has publicly released or updated, or has worked on a public release or update (for example as part of a modding team) for, a mod. While not required, it may be helpful to others considering nominations/voting to link to a modder's more prominent and popular mods for reference. With regards to the Favorite Tool & Resource maker categories, in order to be eligible for them, a modder must have released at the least one tool, resource, etc during 2019.
    for the records, what counts for "mod" is valid as well for "tools & rerources"

Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22& Socrates1984; of the Imperial House of Hader

Apologies. Apparently, I am a bad reader
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Blog Entries

No problem, the rules' thread is pretty filled up with stuff and it could be easy to miss something

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: 2019 MODDING AWARDS - NOMINATIONS THREAD

It seems people like to nominate without reading the rules first.

Every mod can be nominated as long as they meet the eligibility criteria for this year's edition and a valid link within TWC is provided
    Please provide a link with your nomination, it helps the commitee checking the elligibility of the mods. Thanks

Blog Entries

IMPORTANT NOTICE: we have seen that some people are nominating "teams" for the favorite modders; please note that this is not a valid nomination! You are requested to nominated single modders and not teams, otherwise your nominations will be discounted.

Thanks for the attention

CommodusIV's Avatar Teutonic Coronavirus
    Citizen

Blog Entries

It's worth noting that the efforts of a team can sometimes far outstretch the efforts of a single modder; in combination they achieve what the individual might not, and it may be particularly unfair to pick favorites in a team that came together and produced something quite excellent in all aspects. Some food for thought, be it for future efforts or otherwise.

Lifthrasir's Avatar A Clockwork Orange
    Patrician Artifex Content Staff Moderation Mentor Praefect

Blog Entries

True. But let me present it from the other side. What if a team is made of 6 modders? The rules say 5 nominations. In that case, should we exclude one dev of the team or should we consider the team as only 1 nomination?
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by CommodusIV View Post
    It's worth noting that the efforts of a team can sometimes far outstretch the efforts of a single modder; in combination they achieve what the individual might not, and it may be particularly unfair to pick favorites in a team that came together and produced something quite excellent in all aspects. Some food for thought, be it for future efforts or otherwise.
    I get the point here, but I feel like this is well handled by the fact that we can also nominate favorite mods. I mean, that's your chance to tell a mod team that they're doing well, and the medal then goes to the mod, which is also as it should be. For the nominations for individual modders, I feel like the point is to single out characters who do particularly good work, or who go above and beyond the efforts of the team. Put differently, for most mods we regularly engage with, there will be anywhere from a few to a few dozen people working on it, but there is almost always one or two people who answer all questions right away, who have done a significant amount of coding, or who have otherwise done the work of ten men in getting the mod to release. I think the system allows for a good opportunity to reward that fact.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    I get the point here, but I feel like this is well handled by the fact that we can also nominate favorite mods. I mean, that's your chance to tell a mod team that they're doing well, and the medal then goes to the mod, which is also as it should be. For the nominations for individual modders, I feel like the point is to single out characters who do particularly good work, or who go above and beyond the efforts of the team. Put differently, for most mods we regularly engage with, there will be anywhere from a few to a few dozen people working on it, but there is almost always one or two people who answer all questions right away, who have done a significant amount of coding, or who have otherwise done the work of ten men in getting the mod to release. I think the system allows for a good opportunity to reward that fact.
    pretty much this

Quintus Hortensius Hortalus's Avatar Lex duodecim tabularum
    Citizen

Thanks for all the work Awards committee!
    And I think I found a small mistake or is it intentioned that new modder count from 2018 onwards?
    Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    2. to be eligible for the New Modder category, a modder must not have released any mod or tool before 1/1/2018.

Under the patronage of wangrin my workshop

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quintus Hortensius Hortalus View Post
    Thanks for all the work Awards committee!
    And I think I found a small mistake or is it intentioned that new modder count from 2018 onwards?
    Unless I've misunderstood your post, there's nothing wrong with that date, since the "new modder" is for the 2 previous years

Quintus Hortensius Hortalus's Avatar Lex duodecim tabularum
    Citizen

Unless I've misunderstood your post, there's nothing wrong with that date, since the "new modder" is for the 2 previous years
    No sorry, I just assumed "new modder" should be modders who started modding in 2019, my mistake.

Under the patronage of wangrin my workshop

Blog Entries

No problem! We decided to have 2 years since it's very rare that someone releases something during their first year at TWC.. modding needs sometimes a long learning process, hence the 2 years time span

Araval's Avatar Primicerius

No problem! We decided to have 2 years since it's very rare that someone releases something during their first year at TWC.. modding needs sometimes a long learning process, hence the 2 years time span
    I don't think this quite matches. As I understand the rule, the member can be registered since whenever but must not have released anything before 2018.

Blog Entries

yes I should have said "their first active year" at TWC

However, I think that the logic is clear

I didn´t think that a simple member like me could nominate... However, I wanted to put RTRA III on the table, but I don´t see honour making a self nomination (No offense, please).

So I tried to nominates the people that is keeping RTW Modding alive (Including RTW Forum on TWC).

Kind regards (and sorry if I had any mistake with my nominations. I´m an old guy with bad english).
    Last edited by Solon de Atenas; March 18, 2020 at 03:37 PM.

ROME TOTAL REALISM ANABASIS FORUM: HERE

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

MODDING AWARDS NEWS: Flinn is now at home with a limited internet connection as a result of restrictions related to the Covid-19 pandemic. This inevitably means he won't be able to be here as much as usual, so if you need to contact someone about the Modding Awards, please contact another member of the Modding Awards Committee.

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Nominations are now closed!

Thank you to everyone who posted their nominations. The Modding Awards Committee are already hard at work checking all the nominations and preparing the polls - that may take a little time, because I know they want to be absolutely sure everything's correct.

In the meantime, please feel free to carry on discussing the Modding Awards here!