Thread: Help me to install SS, I dont know what to do :(

Default Help me to install SS, I dont know what to do :(

First of all, I started to play this game again after many years but the game keeps crashing on me. At the beginning of the campaign(Poland) the game was fine, then it started to crash more often at around turn 200. And now at turn 344 the game is no longer playable because it crashes all the time, even in the campaign map(before it was only in battles). I got so sick and tired of this so I decided to uninstall it all and now I need help to how I correctly install everything from Medieval 2 vanilla-Kingdoms all the way to the SS mod.

I tried to read the thread about how to install the mod and all but I cant find anything about in which order to install the patches and so on. And I really suck at understanding this.

Forgot to mention: before I removed the mod and the game itself I could not find the folder anywhere on my C drive. It did not exist. So then I noticed it was in Steam. So now I uninstalled everything.

So what I remember I start with installing Medieval II Total War, then kingdoms exp and the patches will all be there, right? and then I install the mod on top of that? I hope I understood it right, because it is this that I dont understand so well.

Edit: maybe I should mention that I use win10. And the UAC is turned off when installing everything. But can I turn it on again while playing the game or will that cause any problems? sorry if im stupid
    Last edited by Christian Strand; February 12, 2020 at 12:52 PM.

Losthief's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Help me to install SS, I dont know what to do :(

steam or disk install?

If steam, you do not need to do patches steam does it for you.

Also....you do not need to do patches through 1.3 if you have kingdoms disk it installs 1.4. Just need 1.5.

There is a gigantus thread with install instructions pinned on the top of the forum here: https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...SS-6-3-and-6-4

in case you need more help/directions.
    LOSTHIEF
    I'd rather be lucky than skilled!

Quote Originally Posted by Losthief View Post
    steam or disk install?

If steam, you do not need to do patches steam does it for you.

Also....you do not need to do patches through 1.3 if you have kingdoms disk it installs 1.4. Just need 1.5.

There is a gigantus thread with install instructions pinned on the top of the forum here: https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...SS-6-3-and-6-4

in case you need more help/directions.

I have the disk install. I have not installed yet, im waiting for answers what to do. If i install Medieval 2, i dont need any patches if i just go on directly to install Kingsoms on top of that, right?

Maybe you could go on steam and register your cd key? I registered mine... im pretty sure it was just the base game aswell cause i have no idea where my kingdoms disk is. It install the "definitive editon" for me with no problems.

Then i just let SS install itself. Steam will have changed the .exe so SS cant find it, just relable your .exe as kingdoms.exe (match what the error message tells you) and make a short cut to that .exe. When you start the game steam will think your files are wrong and will send you a new .exe... now you have two. Use the short cut you created and off you go....

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Strand View Post
    I have the disk install. I have not installed yet, im waiting for answers what to do. If i install Medieval 2, i dont need any patches if i just go on directly to install Kingsoms on top of that, right?
    yeah

install medieval 2
    install kingdoms
    install SS6.3
    install SS6.4
    install bugfix compilation

btw you might have stumbled on this annoying bug where no matter what campaign crashes on end turn, the only way to get over it is to just reload your campaign savegave then move a spy a merchant or an army etc then end turn, the game may still crash for a while but it's possible to get over it and then the campaign will be stable again