Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Republicans block three election security bills because they would prevent them from cheating

Slydessertfox's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: Republicans block three election security bills because they would prevent them from cheating

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    @ Slydessertfox

Dude. Bruh. Bruh. Every country with functional electoral system requires some kind of identification to vote. If anything, US requirements are quite lax compared to what we have here in Canada.
    You asked for evidence that Republicans were using voter ID laws as a way to suppress the vote. I provided numerous examples of them openly saying so, and your response is "lol everyone has voter ID laws." This would not be a good defense even if it were true (which it is not) because those countries which do require voter IDs to vote also make sure everyone has access to an ID, and is not instead making it more difficult to get one, as Republicans in these states have also attempted to do. Many of these countries also have automatic voter registration (or make registration mandatory).

But again, this does not change the fact that Republicans who have crafted these voter ID laws, have openly said they are creating them with the intention of helping the Republican Party win elections.

Default Re: Republicans block three election security bills because they would prevent them from cheating

Every country with functioning democratic system requires ID to vote. Not just Republicans. If I drank bath salts and decided to throw my vote for some garbage creature like trudeau, I'd still need to bring my ID. Even if you are registered, you still need to prove who you are.
    So yeah, you'd need better evidence to prove to us your conspiracy theory about Republican nefarious plot to suppress votes.

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

The issue is not the inherent requirement of ID. The issue is when it becomes difficult, impractical, or costly for people to get an I.D. Enacting voter I.D laws is almost always equivalent to a poll tax which is fundamentally undemocratic.

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.ncsl.org/documents/legismgt/elect/Voter_ID_Costs_June2014.pdf

However, some courts have found these types of costs troubling. For example, a federal court recently struck down Wisconsin’s voter ID law, in part due to concerns about the obstacles voters would encounter when attempting to obtain acceptable ID. For instance, in rural parts of the state, there are relatively few locations where ID cards can be obtained

https://www.aclu.org/sites/default/f...r_decision.pdf
    The Missouri Supreme Court in 2006 similarly found that fees for documents required to obtain ID, such as birth certificates, count as an undue burden on voters.

https://moritzlaw.osu.edu/electionla...on_Opinion.pdf
    Minnesota’s 2012 proposed voter ID amendment, which was not enacted, would have required all voters to be subject to “substantially equivalent” identity verification. Voter ID opponents claimed this would have required revision or elimination of Election Day registration in the state, which might have rendered Minnesota ineligible for exemption from the National Voter Registration Act (NVRA). They argued that this would have introduced a number of new costs for elections administrators and other state officials.

https://ceimn.org/sites/default/file...orrected_0.pdf
    Although the proposed amendment appears to be just about a photo ID, its language could require significant changes to Minnesota’s elections. These include changes to mail-in and absentee voting, changes to Election Day Registration, and the introduction of provisional balloting.

https://ceimn.org/sites/default/file...orrected_0.pdf
    Last edited by Akar; March 07, 2020 at 09:44 AM.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

The solution to the poll tax problem is free voter IDs https://www.eoni.org.uk/Electoral-Id...get-an-ID-Card
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Slydessertfox's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    The solution to the poll tax problem is free voter IDs https://www.eoni.org.uk/Electoral-Id...get-an-ID-Card
    This is true, but again, as I have demonstrated above, the "poll tax problem" is the whole point of these laws. The goal of these laws being passed in the states is to suppress the vote among poorer, minority constituencies. That it coincides with the closing of DMV locations in these communities to make it more difficult to obtain a voter ID, along with a closure of more than 1,000 US polling sites since the supreme court ruling in 2014 that gutted the 1965 Voting Rights Act, just serves to underline the point. To use Alabama as an example, Alabama's own House Judiciary Committee found that DMV closings in the state were intended to have a "limited impact on [Republican] Governor Bentley's political allies." The United States Department Of Transportation also said that the closure of 31 driver licenses offices in 205 adversely impacted majority African American counties.

You only have to look at a map to see that this was obvious: https://www.facingsouth.org/2015/10/...latest-th.html

This of course conveniently coincided with Alabama's then new strict Voter ID laws.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Only the Democrats could get away with claiming that minorities were too poor and stupid to get a ID (even though just about everyone has one already) in order to keep cheating on elections.
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phier View Post

Only the Democrats could get away with claiming that minorities were too poor and stupid to get a ID (even though just about everyone has one already) in order to keep cheating on elections.

The only person who's claimed that is you right now. Maybe you should think about why you always project racist ideology onto everyone else?

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    The only person who's claimed that is you right now. Maybe you should think about why you always project racist ideology onto everyone else?
    Meanwhile, in reality:

Quote Originally Posted by Phier View Post
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

It looks like they are just preparing to use that as an excuse as to why they lost 2020.
    But yeah, nothing prevents minorities from voting Democrat. A growing number of them just chose not to.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slydessertfox View Post
    This is true, but again, as I have demonstrated above, the "poll tax problem" is the whole point of these laws. The goal of these laws being passed in the states is to suppress the vote among poorer, minority constituencies. That it coincides with the closing of DMV locations in these communities to make it more difficult to obtain a voter ID, along with a closure of more than 1,000 US polling sites since the supreme court ruling in 2014 that gutted the 1965 Voting Rights Act, just serves to underline the point. To use Alabama as an example, Alabama's own House Judiciary Committee found that DMV closings in the state were intended to have a "limited impact on [Republican] Governor Bentley's political allies." The United States Department Of Transportation also said that the closure of 31 driver licenses offices in 205 adversely impacted majority African American counties.

You only have to look at a map to see that this was obvious: https://www.facingsouth.org/2015/10/...latest-th.html

This of course conveniently coincided with Alabama's then new strict Voter ID laws.
    I see what you’re saying. Can people use their passports? After DMV closures, how long a drive away are most people from somewhere they can apply for a valid ID? DMVs I assume only do driver’s licenses, there must be other places to get other forms of photo IDs. I can get my passport at the local post office for example, or go to Belfast to the electoral office for a free EID. Can you apply for IDs by post? You can also do that for EIDs in Northern Ireland.

Instead of blocking any attempt for photo ID, it would be more productive to support the wide ease of access to photo IDs. For one thing, it would conveniently side-step the accusations by Republicans that Democrats oppose voter ID because they want voter fraud rather than preventing voter suppression.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345