Thread: Modding problem.

JohnComnenos's Avatar Libertus

Default Modding problem.

I was wondering if anyone could help me with a problem I'm having with a mod i built that i can't for the life of work out. The mod adds three new units ,bodyguard, cavalry & infantry (the last two are supposed to be identical). I'll go through what i did in as much detail as I can.

1:First I went into the TWeak.AssemblyKit and simply loaded the Excubitores Cavalry Guard uniform which I saved for all three of my new units.
    2:I then built the mod with the PFM, loading my saved, though as of yet unchanged, variant meshes.

As of this part I had no problem. The game loaded up and I successfully created a random battle with my new units (all with the Excubitores Cavalry Guard skin)

3: I then went back into the TWeak.AssemblyKit to change the appearance of my new units to what I wanted. This is where the problems started. I loaded the Cataphractarii skin and simply add vambraces & some face mail as well as changing the weapons to a sword & shield. I then saved these and went back into PFM, deleted the old meshes and added the new ones. I can still open Attila (which suggests to me that it's not a PFM mistake) but when I try to start a game with my new units it crashes. I initially thought maybe there was something wrong with my meshes so I tinkered about but without any success. The last thing I tried was going back the the start and simply loading a vanilla unit (like I did to start with) but now that doesn't work either.

I've successfully built a similar mod for Rome II with the same method but I can't work out what I've done wrong this time & there's nothing in these tools that points to any mistakes you make so I'm kind of shooting in the dark right now.

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

Gyrosmeister's Avatar Monsieur Grec

Default Re: Modding problem.

Did you make the appropriate changes in unit_variant tables? (if you renamed the vmd files)

no, I just saved over the original save file so the name was unchanged.

Gyrosmeister's Avatar Monsieur Grec

Then check that table again.
    If that again is not the problem.
    I'd suggest deleting the pack and building it again from scratch, from what it seems there was nothing major in it (just 3 units). Create the vmds and put them right from the beginning in your pack file

I'll take a look but if I had made a mistake in the PFM wouldn't that crash the whole game on start up?

I'm still not having much luck with this and none of the guides I've found seem to help. Does anyone know the process of editing a mesh you made? For example I've made a unit but now want to edit it's appearance, what do I have to change in PFM (other than adding the new mesh)?

anyone? these are the meshes I made:
    <VARIANT_MESH>
    <SLOT name="base" >
    <VARIANT_MESH>
    <SLOT name="skin" >
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/skin/att_rom_medium_cut_02a.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/skin/att_rom_medium_cut_02b.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="hair" >
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/hair_beards/att_rom_dark_short_helmet.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="props" />
    <SLOT name="accessories" />
    <SLOT name="helmets" >
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\helmets/att_roman_heavy_cataphract.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="clothing" >
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/clothing/att_roman_heavy_lamellar.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/clothing/att_roman_heavy_lamellar_long.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="cloaks" >
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\cloak/att_generic_elite_armour.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="vambraces" >
    <VARIANT_MESH model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\arm_armour/cataphract_arm_armour_04.rigid_model_v2" />
    <VARIANT_MESH model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\arm_armour/cataphract_arm_armour_01.rigid_model_v2" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="greaves" />
    <SLOT name="shield" >
    <VARIANT_MESH model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\shield/round_small_curved_reinforced_shield.rigid_model_v2" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="weapon_1" attach_point="weapon_01" />
    <SLOT name="weapon_2" attach_point="weapon_02" >
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\weapons/att_sword_spatha_heavy.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="weapon_3" attach_point="weapon_04" />
    <SLOT name="weapon_4" attach_point="weapon_05" />
    </VARIANT_MESH>
    </SLOT>
    </VARIANT_MESH>

<VARIANT_MESH>
    <SLOT name="base" >
    <VARIANT_MESH>
    <SLOT name="skin" >
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/skin/att_rom_medium_cut_02a.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/skin/att_rom_medium_cut_02b.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="hair" >
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/hair_beards/att_rom_dark_short_helmet.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="props" />
    <SLOT name="accessories" >
    <VARIANT_MESH model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\helmets/face_mail_surround_01.rigid_model_v2" />
    <VARIANT_MESH model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\helmets/face_mail_surround_02.rigid_model_v2" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="helmets" >
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\helmets/att_roman_cav_heavy_helmet1.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="clothing" >
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/clothing/att_roman_heavy_lamellar.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/clothing/att_roman_heavy_lamellar_long.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="cloaks" >
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/cloak/att_generic_elite_cav_armour.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="vambraces" >
    <VARIANT_MESH model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\arm_armour/cataphract_arm_armour_04.rigid_model_v2" />
    <VARIANT_MESH model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\arm_armour/cataphract_arm_armour_01.rigid_model_v2" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="greaves" />
    <SLOT name="shield" >
    <VARIANT_MESH model="variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\shield/round_large_reinforced_shield.rigid_model_v2" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="weapon_1" attach_point="weapon_01" />
    <SLOT name="weapon_2" attach_point="weapon_02" >
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/_VariantModels/man/weapons/att_sword_spatha.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="weapon_3" attach_point="weapon_04" />
    <SLOT name="weapon_4" attach_point="weapon_05" />
    </VARIANT_MESH>
    </SLOT>
    </VARIANT_MESH>

Anyone?

Is this forum dead or something?

Very dead

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

ask Steph https://www.twcenter.net/forums/member.php?77696-Steph he is doing various stuff, just not probably looking here
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)