Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Medieval 2 roster overhaul: 13th century France and England

Default Medieval 2 roster overhaul: 13th century France and England

Hello there everyone, I've been learning how to make new units for medieval 2 for the past couple of years and this file is the result of that labor. I've been wanting to revamp the medieval 2 rosters for a while now in the purpose of implementing them into the Stainless Steel 6.4 mod, but since I don't have a lot of time to mod I've decided to work at my rythm and put my work at the disposal of the community so that my units can be added in any mod.

As the title indicates, the uploaded file contains 13th century rosters for the Kingdom of France and the Kingdom of England I have made based off a bit of research I did on the subject. Most of the models I have used come from other mods for Total War or Mount and Blade, as do the bases of many of the textures I have created. The units possess updated marka horse animations, bowstring animations and two-handed combat animations. The installation instructions are specified below.

FRENCH UNIT ROSTER

Communal militias:

Communal Spearmen:

Communal Crossbowmen:

Communal Archers:

The communal militas represent the urban militia troops called upon by the french crown in times of need. They are relatively well equipped and can hold their own in battle, if well supported by stronger units, and the use of the deadly crossbow can make them a force not to be underestimated. In times of peace, their service was often exchanged for a sum of money that would be used to pay professional soldiers/mercenaries.

Professional troops:

Ribauds:

Spearmen:

Crossbowmen:

Mounted Crossbowmen:

These professional soldiers were often mercenaries recruited on the long term. In the absence of a standing army the practice became common during the wars between France and England in the reign of Philip II Augustus. These troops are efficient fighters and have good equipment and morale.

Household Professionals:

Sergeants:

Sergeant Axemen:

Mounted Sergeants:

Sergeants represent the better armed and trained elements of the urban infantry, as well as the retinues of knights. They have good armor and are skilled in combat, the axemen being particularly devastating if used correctly.

Nobles:
    Foot Knights:

Knights:

These units represent the nobles the kings of France could rely on during times of war. Represented on their surcoats are the coats of arms of some of the main noble families of the time (Montmorency, Grailly, Coucy, Lusignan, Vergy, Joinville and others) amongst a few other surcoats I just thought looked good. The surcoat model (as a couple other models in the mod) has been modified in order to avoid distortion in game

Elite Units:

Sergeants-at-arms:

Mounted Sergeants-at-arms:

Bodyguard:

The Sergeants-at-arms were institued by Philip II Augustus as personal bodyguards to the kings of France, and I have added him along with the Oriflamme to the Mounted Sergeants-at-arms. On the bodyguard unit are represented the main duchies and counties of the kingdom at the time (Bretagne, Normandy, Dreux, Toulouse, Burgundy amongst others).

ENGLISH UNIT ROSTER

Militia units:

Militia Archers:

Militia Spearmen:

During the 13th century, militia units in England constitued an important part of infantry forces employed by the crown in times of need. Their basic training makes them able to hold the line if well supported but they should not be relied on too long in prolonged melee. The english preference for bows over crossbows had already begun to appear, although the widespread use of the longbow had not started yet, which is why only bowmen are represented in the militia forces.

Professional troops:

Archers:

Hobelars:

By the reign of Edward the first, most professional units recruited in England were archers, their use becoming widespread during the Welsh and Scottish wars. They are equipped with regular war bows, the longbow not having made its entrance on the field of battle yet. Hobelars also appeared during that period, and constitute a light and mobile cavalry force inspired by Irish cavalry that can be used for shock tactics or running down the fleeing enemy.

Auxiliaries and mercenaries:

Welsh Longbowmen:

Welsh Spearmen:

Alongside the professional troops recruited within England, a frequently major part of English forces were constitued of mercenaries and auxiliary troops from conquered territory or the continent. Despite their light armor, the Welsh units are capable of holding the line and are quite strong. I also plan to include Gascon crossbowmen and Irish kerns, but I have not yet created the models. The Welsh are described by sources at the time as having very little armor and fighting barefoot/barelegged, often wearing only one shoe, possibly to get a better grip on steep or slippery ground, so I have depicted them that way.

Household professionals:

Sergeants:

Sergeant Axemen:

Mounted Sergeants:

Sergeants represent the better armed and trained elements of the urban infantry, as well as the retinues of knights. They have good armor and are skilled in combat, the axemen being particularly devastating if used correctly.

Nobles:

Dismounted Knights:

Knights:

As with France, I have represented on the knight's surcoats some of England's most prominent families or individuals at the time, alongside of a couple others I just visually liked.

Elite units:

Bodyguard:

King of England:

The bodyguard unit is meant to serve as general's bodyguard, and the shields of its soldiers display those of the existing English earldoms at the time. The King of England unit represents the King and his bodyguards.

LINK AND INSTALLATION

Link:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gN...ir6TGOSP7BPXbX

To install the mod, simply extract the file in the mod folder and you are good to go (the file is named CSUR because I initially used the CSUR mod as my mod base and I never got around changing the name). The units are only available in custom battle ("Early" and "All") so that anyone can install them in the campaign as they will, and are complete apart from the normal maps, which I would take me too long to do properly, and the prices, which anyone can decide accordingly when adding the units into the campaign or another mod. I have however given each unit morale, unit size, armor and combat values as I saw fit in the export_descr_units relative to the default medieval 2 units.

If you want to move the units into another mod or modify them, many tutorials explain how to do so. In order to make sure you don't forget anything however, the important files and code lines required for the units to work are:
    - The animations files in the animations folder as well as some entries in the descr_skeleton.txt file (I have added bowstring animations, marka horse animations and better two-handed animations)
    - The descr_mounts files and the marka mounts in the battle_models.modeldb
    - Some entries in the export_units.text in the text file (contains the text elements in game such as names and descriptions)
    - The unit_info and units files in the ui file (contains the UI pictures)
    - All the files in unit_models except for _units, as well as the corresponding entries in the battle_models.modeldb and export_descr_units.txt (contains the actual models, textures etc)
    - The unit_sprites file (contains the sprites)
    - Some entries in descr_character (decides which model to use for generals and captains)

In order to use any of the models or textures for your own mod you must credit me and the rest of the people down in the credits

The mod also contains a couple of units I had made previously (Highlanders, Archer Militia and Voulge Militia amongst others) disseminated within the factions, which's models and textures are contained in the _units file. In order to delete them, find them in the battle_models.modeldb using the model names, delete the _units folder in the data section and swap their entries for the default ones in battle_models.modeldb and export_descr_units (no other actions should be required as these were the only files I modified to add them in game).

CREDITS
    Asset credits:

- Medieval Kingdoms Total War team
    - Pino69
    - Lucas the Benevolent
    - Mr. Crow
    -
    Rus 13th Century
    - Rusichi Total W
    ar
    - Marka
    - Narf
    -
    Rathos
    -
    Crusaders Way to Expiation Team
    -
    Lord Hamilton
    - Stainless Steel 6.4 mod team
    - Anthonius II
    Amongst others (let me know if I forgot to mention you)

Mods I have been inspired by and people who have helped me (to whom I am very grateful):

- Jukoman and the Fleur de Lis team
    - Jurcek and the Tsardoms Total war
    - The CSUR mod team
    - Paleologos
    - Gigantus
    And many others

Last edited by MightyPotato; May 29, 2020 at 11:53 AM.

bitterhowl's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Medieval 2 roster overhaul: 13th century France

Great work! Strange seeing no feedback here. Definitely take them into my Westeros mod!

My sister, do you still recall the blue Hasan and Khalkhin-Gol?
    Russian warship is winning. Proofs needed? Go find yourself!

Elendil 03's Avatar Semisalis
    A landlocked, neutral country somewhere in Western Europe

Quote Originally Posted by bitterhowl
    Strange seeing no feedback here.
    I guess that's what the rep button's for.

I guess that without posting this thread will go down the threads list and after some time will place on 2-3 page. And I doubt that so many people often search there for news. So good stuff could get lost this way.

Is this mod for stainless steel or is this something else entirely?

Elendil 03's Avatar Semisalis
    A landlocked, neutral country somewhere in Western Europe

We could move it to the resources section then...

@sullivanclan1 The units are simply available in default Medieval II custom battle in the version I have released, in the purpose of being added into any mod as modders see fit.

Thank you all for the feedback! I'm starting the English units, but as per usual, work will be slow going.

Quote Originally Posted by Elendil 03 View Post
    We could move it to the resources section then...
    Brilliant idea and + rep

Seems that it's sill not in tutorial section.

Superb stuff

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by bitterhowl View Post
    Seems that it's sill not in tutorial section.
    If you want a thread moved, use the Report button.

Domesticus

Congratulations!

Beautiful units!
    Last edited by Crociato78; April 06, 2020 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frunk View Post
    If you want a thread moved, use the Report button.
    Did just like that about a month ago and it's still here.

Cesco's Avatar Decanus

Those are very good units! Just some months back I created some XIII cetury italian units, using and reworking War of the West mod's material. If you want, I can send you what I made.
    Huic ab adulescentia bella intestina, caedes, rapinae, discordia civilis grata fuerunt ibique iuventutem suam exercuit

I'd be very glad!

that would be awesome Cesco!
    getting older

Cesco's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by bitterhowl View Post
    I'd be very glad!
    I sent you a PM with the download link
    Huic ab adulescentia bella intestina, caedes, rapinae, discordia civilis grata fuerunt ibique iuventutem suam exercuit

Hey there Cesco, sorry for not answering your message earlier, I'd be delighted if you could send me your models!

Default Re: Medieval 2 roster overhaul: 13th century France and England

Hello everyone, I've updated the mod with the completed English unit roster. I have exams coming up in a month or so so I'll be unable to continue modding for a short while, but I'll try getting back to it as soon as I can!

#Edit: Sorry, I have completely forgotten to create the unit sprites. I'll try and do it as soon as I can and I'll upload the file when it is done.
    Last edited by MightyPotato; May 29, 2020 at 11:56 AM.

Default Re: Medieval 2 roster overhaul: 13th century France and England

what is this mod for? SS?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast