Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere 40K View Post
Both Advanced Micro Systems and Intel are selling as much as they can produce, and are suffering from capacity crunch, though in the former's case, they claim that happened because they underestimated demand.

With Intel, it's certain they'll prioritize server over Pentiums, leaving a clear field for AMD to clear up at the lower end.

Global Foundries is making a profit, because they didn't expend capital to upgrade to seven nanometres (which may turn out to be a mistake); however, AMD is required to purchase a minimum number of wafers from them, which can be the I/Os, chipsets and/or older Ryzens.
Ryzen I/O is on 12nm, probably GloFlo's 12nm process. Their contract is solidly through 2020.

Four core APUs for the desktop probably makes little significant difference if they're manufactured at seven, twelve or fourteen nanometres; it does if they're meant to go into laptops. What happened last year was that the three thousand series appear to move into the twelve nanometre production lines vacated by transferring the chiplets over to seven nanometres, and Ryzen Three is scheduled to be manufactured at seven nanometres plus, as well as Apple moving on to five nanometres, which should open up capacity.

Doesn't necessarily mean that 4200G will have six cores at seven nanometres, though I'm pretty sure that will be the case with the 6200G; or maybe they'll do that for a more premiumized 4400G. I just have hopes for it.
It's hard to say for sure. I don't expect it in this year or the next since 7nm wafer supply is pretty limited. I also wouldn't be surprised to see even less desktop APUs in general. Like I keep saying, it's a pretty limited market.

But looking at it from a meta perspective, it makes sense for all that technology and research dedicated to gaming consoles to feedback to laptops and desktop variants, since the concept of the chiplet is to create a simple processing unit that can be scaled through all products, which Threadripper is demonstrating.

The consumer has to figure out how this benefits him, and how to optimize that; in my case, 2200G has a very acceptable performance, and falls within a specific budget I have for what I'll utilize for, that would have to be balanced with equally economical computer components, cheap RAM and a cheap motherboard, whether used or discounted.

My usual supplier reports that due to the Wuhan flu, there are going to be shortages and delays, good luck finding facemasks, and that resellers are likely going to hike the prices; there's currently an ongoing discount on Gigabyte products, and I'm wondering if I should pick up a pair of mATXes with four RAM slots while the opportunity presents itself.
Well, people may say that. What I'm really wondering is how long will they milk these rumors for to justify jacking up prices. The technology for the general public is getting better, but personally I'm more excited for more custom designs.