Thread: How different would U.S politics be today if dueling was still allowed?

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Default How different would U.S politics be today if dueling was still allowed?

How different do you guys think U.S politics would be today if dueling had never been outlawed and duels like the one between Hamilton and Burr were commonplace?

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Default Re: How different would U.S politics be today if dueling was still allowed?

Hamilton and Burr
    Well technically they had to go Jersey to avoid NY law.

But assuming the same sense of honor I'm pretty sure Trump would be dead. Slandering McCain's military record publicly and in person would be unforgivable and I kinda think the old pilot was a better shot after watching Trump golf.

Assuming it was democratic and legal to everyone not just a aristocratic thing it would alter the nature of the justice system. After all revenge killing (plotted not a formal challenge) and or avoiding a duel but committing murder would have to punished far more harshly to direct people to the proper accepted path of violence. But the problem is the system would favor the bold, and risk takers. A women who was making accusation of rape (toward somebody) and was both a good shot and reckless might well get her justice, but others not so much. Or are we just keeping this a thing for public figures?
    Last edited by conon394; February 06, 2020 at 08:25 AM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: How different would U.S politics be today if dueling was still allowed?

Oof, didn't even think about McCain and Trump, I'd say you're probably right about that. I didn't know that about Burr and Hamilton having to travel to Jersey, but it would make sense that Jersey would allow dueling.

Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    Oof, didn't even think about McCain and Trump, I'd say you're probably right about that. I didn't know that about Burr and Hamilton having to travel to Jersey, but it would make sense that Jersey would allow dueling.
    Well stopping at Newark Airport always puts me in a killing mood - Although I should not make too much of its condition since for most of my like my home town Detroit Metro was a worse dump.
    Last edited by conon394; February 06, 2020 at 08:29 AM.

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

It may sound silly but I've always wanted to go to Detroit and around in and explore the abandoned buildings and factories they have up there. I bet there's probably a lot of cool and interesting stuff to find/see. Oh and junkies. Lot's of junkies I'm sure.

Speaking of dueling though, Oregon and it looks like California have laws on the book allowing for mutual combat to take place.

The MMA fighter was potentially on thin ice a professional fighter of any kind is at risk of the cops not deeming it a mutual fight because it would not be fair.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

Yeah the "vigilante" guy has assaulted a number of people before, he's walked up to people arguing and pepper sprayed the lot of them for no reason etc. He's definitely kind of an and I wish there was better examples on the wiki page, but the law quoted there implies the basic idea is allowed.

Also, who the hell in their right mind is going to agree to mutual combat with batman?

Also, who the hell in their right mind is going to agree to mutual combat with batman?
    You fall back on he Hornblower gambit. Provoke the duel so you get the choice of how it is decided out and have a random selection of of one live bullet and one dud if you know you would loose a fair fight. At least you get to 50/50 vs batman just putting a hole in your brain. Well really 25% you need to win the toss first as well. But better than 100% if you lost that. Of course that assumes you opt for guns.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

Is there anyone who wouldn't opt for guns against Batman? Dude's whole thing is that he doesn't touch guns. And that he's afraid of bats, I guess. That's some good thinking though, make Batman fight on YOUR terms, as much as that's possible against a man in a Bat costume. Also I would imagine it would matter a great deal which Batman you're dueling. Adam West batman is pretty much just a guy in a leotard and a modified BDSM mask, but you can see Christian Bale's Batman deflect multiple shots with his body armor so that would be much more challenging. Or are we assuming this is a no-body-armor duel, in which case I suppose they'd all be equally matched. It should be considered that Batman's aim with his grappling hook could translate to skill with a handgun, although there's a whole other debate there about whether or not Batman is even aiming the grappling hook or if he's just firing it wildly in the air like a Taliban wedding or a 4th of July party.

realIK17's Avatar Foederatus

I watched the old batman movie (from the 90s I think,) and the batman's costume was so cringy and primitive.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

Honestly a lot of the batsuits have been pretty cringy. I'm not sure you can look cool at all while dressed like a giant mammal.