Thread: SS 6.4 freezes in the middle of the battle

Icon9 SS 6.4 freezes in the middle of the battle

I'm playing with denmark, about turn 55, battle of about 6000 total participants, outside of bergen at the end of a siege. The battle goes on for a while and then it just freezes. The only option I have then is go ctrl+alt+delete and restart the computer, I can't even open the task manager, not with ctrl+shift+esc, nor close the game with alt+f4, nothing. To test whether it will continue with future battles, I do a quick battle on that one and then a battle on the map against the remaining norwegian forces, which are pretty much halved. Same thing happens. It's not a settings problem as it's a decent gaming laptop I bought last year and tested the biggest possible custom battle (fully stacked 200 soldier spear militas on both sides, venice vs sicily) with the highest settings and the battle finishes just fine. Oh and I followed the installation steps from the installation sticky and everything went flawlessly until now. Anyone knows what the problem could be?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: SS 6.4 freezes in the middle of the battle

Please remember that the M2TW game engine is 14 years old and was designed to run on what are now very basic spec machines.
    It only uses a limited amount of RAM, so the likelihood of it crashing increases with the amount of time you run the program, size of armies in battles,
    complexity of battlefield (larger settlements use more memory etc) and so forth.
    No matter how good your machine it'll still crash if it exceeds the amount of memory it allocates to itself.
    (And ofc, SS6.4 is a hefty mod so that reduces the amount of memory the game can run in.)
    So best to save every few turns (and have autosave on.)

I have had a similar experience just recently with vanilla M2TW - battle freeze up when a general (possibly faction leader) died.
    Tried task manager - nothing happened. Switched off and restarted windows and I'm back in the battle at the point it froze.
    Only way out was to sign off instead of using task manager.
    When I fought the battle again I sent an assassin and killed one of the enemy generals.
    AI then did something different than the previous time and I fought the battle with no issues.