Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Australian fires

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Default Re: Australian fires

Uhm... hate to go old testament on you... wait, that's not true: I love to go old testament on you:
    Egyptians sinned and got hit hard by a series of natural desasters from god.
    The world sinned (except Noah) and they got flooded hard courtesy of god.
    Sodom and Gomorrha... are no more. Except for that dude whose cave was apparently very recently discovered, which features a very nice Byzantine church with mosaiques... But that's besides the point.

So let's go through the checklist:
    Australians sinned with climate change and bad handling of eucalyptus forests, which burn super easily. -> Check
    Australians got hit hard by a series of natural desasters -> Fire and Rain and hail. Check!

Personally I'm waiting for the Australian Jews to mark their houses and for the Coronavirus to strike all the Australian newborns.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

basics's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    I'm not blaming him because I know he isn't real. I'm asking why someone who believes in god would be okay with him burning down an entire continent? Yet another catastrophe for God's list of things he's done to humanity because "tHeY jUsT wOnT bElIeVe Me"
    Akar,

I'm OK with God because now knowing Him when once I didn't I can see now why these things happen. That said, can there be any doubt that man is to blame through his actions that the world is in a panic today? Scientists are telling us that man is to blame fairly and squarely for I have yet to see a headline saying God is to blame.

Quote Originally Posted by basics View Post
    Akar,

I'm OK with God because now knowing Him when once I didn't I can see now why these things happen. That said, can there be any doubt that man is to blame through his actions that the world is in a panic today? Scientists are telling us that man is to blame fairly and squarely for I have yet to see a headline saying God is to blame.
    So you disbelieve scientists when they say the universe was not created in six days by an omnipotent being, but agree with them about climate change? I'm curious, where do you draw the line in the sand? What makes it OK to listen to scientists and experts regarding one issue, but utterly dismiss them about another without any evidence of your own?

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeft View Post
    So you disbelieve scientists when they say the universe was not created in six days by an omnipotent being, but agree with them about climate change? I'm curious, where do you draw the line in the sand? What makes it OK to listen to scientists and experts regarding one issue, but utterly dismiss them about another without any evidence of your own?
    TheLeft,

Well, God says man is to blame and so do the scientists although not all of them. So, in both cases man is responsible for all the disasters that this planet has endured. My own feelings about climate change are that I personally have yet to experience it living in Scotland where it's freezing cold and has been for some time. Every morning with heavy coat, scarf and gloves I take my Husky for his walk because it feels like an ice age is starting here and I've yet to meet any other dog walkers that disagree with me. By the way the dog loves it. The one good thing is that his poo's are warm to lift giving my freezing fingers a bit of warmth till they are binned.

So, personal experience is my line in the sand.

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

You do realize that colder temperatures is part of global warming too, right?

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by basics View Post
    TheLeft,

Well, God says man is to blame and so do the scientists although not all of them. So, in both cases man is responsible for all the disasters that this planet has endured. My own feelings about climate change are that I personally have yet to experience it living in Scotland where it's freezing cold and has been for some time. Every morning with heavy coat, scarf and gloves I take my Husky for his walk because it feels like an ice age is starting here and I've yet to meet any other dog walkers that disagree with me. By the way the dog loves it. The one good thing is that his poo's are warm to lift giving my freezing fingers a bit of warmth till they are binned.

So, personal experience is my line in the sand.
    I dunno man even Dunnel looks pretty nice for Feb. But in any case persona experience of local weather is n-1 for a sample size on climate. Also while the earth is indeed warming via human effort it not going to be some generalized phenomenon. More likely for example would much more common say the extreme heat waves Europe has experienced recently
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    Uhm... hate to go old testament on you... wait, that's not true: I love to go old testament on you:
    Egyptians sinned and got hit hard by a series of natural desasters from god.
    The world sinned (except Noah) and they got flooded hard courtesy of god.
    Sodom and Gomorrha... are no more. Except for that dude whose cave was apparently very recently discovered, which features a very nice Byzantine church with mosaiques... But that's besides the point.

So let's go through the checklist:
    Australians sinned with climate change and bad handling of eucalyptus forests, which burn super easily. -> Check
    Australians got hit hard by a series of natural desasters -> Fire and Rain and hail. Check!

Personally I'm waiting for the Australian Jews to mark their houses and for the Coronavirus to strike all the Australian newborns.
    Cookiegod,

I'm fone with the Old Testament so no need to be sorry. Don't you think the Australians are suffering enough without this virus?

Miles

Amazing how people around the world are still talking about Australian bushfires even as the country is flooding.
    https://chaser.com.au/general-news/c...ural-disaster/

The bushfires were a December-January thing. We've been having endless rain here for over ten days. Almost like we're some part of southern England.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

Thing is though, the rain is just as bad for the environment as the fires are right now. The flooding will displace all the vital nutrients that the fires imparted in the soil.

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    Thing is though, the rain is just as bad for the environment as the fires are right now. The flooding will displace all the vital nutrients that the fires imparted in the soil.
    Akar,

Thing is, can man really change what's happening?

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

Man can sure as try

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Thing is, can man really change what's happening
    If you are beating your wife there is no reason you can't stop before she makes you permanently... Compare Ozone depletion. Problem with CFCs (and similar acronym soup) is detected (*). Models produce ominous results. Amazingly the Montreal protocol is passed and enforced/complied with. Results now some 30 years later humanity has indeed reversed a world wide problem it created and keeps amending the treaty to improve the results.

* I feel a bit bad for the guys who came up with CFCs thay where revolutionary and achieved their goal of making a safe coolant non toxic to humans and animals, there is famously a film that you still be able to find of one engineer drinking it to show how it would make refrigerators safe and not kill pets or kids. To bad the stuff in your auto radiator is still toxic. But still viewed just as coolants CFCs where themselves a solution to a man made problem.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12