Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to play S:TW MP - Request for a stickie!

drisos's Avatar Foederatus

Default How to play S:TW MP - Request for a stickie!

Hello guys from the TWCenter,

I just registered to let you all know you can still play S:TW MP. The old server was shut down but there's a new server running. Here's a quote from my in-progress guide I am working on at my clans board:

"Part I - Technical issues

Part I is about all technical stuff regarding playing S:TW/WE MP. Here I tell you all you need to know about how to play MP. If you just don't get it to work, please contact 'Shambles', the person running the server. To do this, go to: forums.totalwar.org/vb/ and register an account if you haven't already. Go to the 'STW MP' forum and open the 'How to host shogun MP games.' thread. Then explain your situation and describe your problems to Shambles by posting there, and he'll help you out.

The 1.02 patch

This guide is about the MI/WE version of S:TW. Playing the original S:TW at the server is possible but there are very few people playing it, so I recommend getting yourself a copy of MI/WE. Because the rights for shogun still have not been sold by the original creators, it is very hard to find it in the stores. You can try ordering it at a big one, but better is to look for a copy at the internet. The site www.amazon.com is the best option to do so. They receive your order, and when someone sells them a MI/WE copy you can buy it. Click the link beneath to order the MI/WE copy:

http://s1.amazon.com/exec/varzea/pre...217863-6125606

Once you have your MI/WE copy, you need to install the 1.02 patch of it. Though there are many patches, all players use the 1.02 patch. It is possible that you already have this patch, of course. To check if you do, run shogun and look at the main menu. At the top-left corner of the screen the version is displayed. When it sais 'v1.02' you already have the patch and don't need to install it. When it sais somthing else you don't, and in order to play MP with others, you need to install the patch first. You can download it via the www.totalwar.com site. Click the link beneath, scroll down to the 'SHOGUN: TOTAL WAR WE/MI UPGRADE PATCH V1.02 Beta' heading, and select the right download.

www.totalwar.com/community/download.htm

Save the download in your shogun main folder and install the patch by running the downloaded .exe file.

Configuration for the server

'Shambles' is running the server which people are playing on now, before logging in at it you must configure shogun for it. To do this you must edit the 'Internet.cfg' file, which is located in your shogun main folder. Open the file with notepad, but don't associate notepad with it, so untick the box 'Always use this program to open this file'. Then delete all text in the file and exactly paste this in it:

ChatserverIPAddress = ShogunTW.no-ip.info
    ChatserverPort = 8793
    NewsserverIPAddress = daphne.eagames.co.uk
    NewsserverPort = 8797
    ShogunTotalWarWebsite = dflw.2ya.com

Save the file and the configuration is ready.

Logging in at the server

Once you've configured for the server, you can log in at it. To do so, run shogun, enter the 'Multiplayer' menu, and click 'Play via EA|Play'. Registering isn't necessary at this server, so you can use whatever name you want. Enter your nickname and select a family name, but leave the fields 'CD-key' and 'Password' open, as they aren't necessary. If you wish to, you can change the family names list. Then you can enter your own family names, click the link beneath to see how to do so.

http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=48126

When you can't connect to the server when trying to log in, that means:

- The server is offline.
    - Your configuration is incorrect.

Sometimes the server is temporarily offline because Shambles has some technical problem, normally it is running all day. When this problem occurs, you should:

- Try later.
    - Check if your configuration is correct.

When connecting to the server works but you can't log in, that means:

- An general error has occured.
    - The name you are using is already being used in the foyer.

Some people need to try logging in a few times before it works, because of those general errors. This problem can't be solved, so you just need to be patient and try as often as needed. Logging in shouldn't take more then a few seconds, so if it takes longer just try again. When logging in fails, you must:

- Change at least one character in your name.
    - Try again.

When you are logged in but you don't proceed, that means:

- A general error has occured.

This doesn't happen very often but when it does, you must:

- Go back and try again.

Hosting games

Some people cannot host games in S:TW/MI/WE MP, that means others can't see the games those people host. S:TW/MI/WE MP uses certain ports for the communication between the computers of the players, when you cannot host that means:

- Your router is blocking those ports.
    - Your firewall is blocking the communication between the computer of the players.

When none of the players can host, you cannot play. So you should solved the problems, to do so you should:

- Open the needed router ports.
    - Shut off your firewall.

If you have windows 98 or older, you don't have a Windows firewall. When you have a newer version of windows, you have a Windows firewall. You must shut off all firewalls, or even better let them allow Shogun to communicate with the computer of the other player. When you don't know how to do this, just shut them off entirely.

When you have a router, hosting a game might still not work when you've shut off your firewall. When this happens you need to forward router port 18321 in udp, to do so enter your router configuration by entering it's WAN IP in your browser. If you don't know your router's WAN IP, check the router's software. When you don't know how to forward router ports, click the link beneath:

www.portforward.com/routers.htm

Simply select the router you have, and select port forwarding.

Preventing LAG in MP games

When you have a slow connection or an old computer, you will probably have a LAG in MP games. Especially in teamgames, a LAG can be very bad. To reduce the LAG in MP games, you can:

- Turn off fauna.
    - Turn off smoke.
    - Reduce music volume to 0.

Best is to do all three, then you reduce the LAG as much as you can. If you really like these features, just put them back on when playing SP and back off when playing MP.

Talking in battle in teamgames

The program 'rw_mod1.exe' allows you to talk to your teammates in battle, but of course you need a mic/headphone. To download the program click the link beneath:

http://snow.prohosting.com/tdrabags/rw_mod1.exe

Save the downloaded file into your shogun main folder, and install it. Then simply plug in your mic/headphone, and it should work."

If you like, visit our forums at: http://p203.ezboard.com/b47chushingura

Hope to see some of you in the foyer sometime.
    Last edited by Libertine; February 01, 2006 at 03:32 PM.

This is very good news, I hope we can make this a sticky here. Sorry to hear there is no more support for Shoggy through EA.

It would be really nice if we could get a third party ladder system to work, but we'd probably have to use a database to attach static user names with CD keys.

Regarding hosting behind a router

I would suguest to use port triggering over port forwarding, that is if your router supports it. Port triggering works dynamically, where as port forwarding works only when ports are forwarded to a static (unchanging) IP address of a computer. Using port forwarding will require you to obtain the proper IP address for the computer you are using to host the game with. Once you have the IP address you will need to enter it into the proper field in your router configuration followed by the incoming and outgoing port number you wish to open.

If your router supports port triggering, simply enter the port number required for Shogun into the incoming and outgoing ranges and if you have a slot for a name call it STW or something like that so you will remember what this port number is used for.

If this is too complex or if your router does not support triggering or forwarding then you have two options: Plug your LAN cable into the DMZ (demillitarized zone) of your router or plug your computer straight into your modem bypassing the router completely. If you find that you are unable to connect directly to the modem after bypassing your router, try cycling the power to your modem and restarting your computer. If that doesn't work contact your ISP, as you may be required to register your computer's Mac address before connecting.

Since we are not playing on gamespy I think we will only need to open port 18321 in our firewalls. If you have a software firewall such as Norton Security you may be prompted to allow access for the application (STW) upon launching Multiplayer or attempting to connect. If so you will need to be sure to allow full access for the game to work right. If not you may need to enter the application name.exe into your firewall's configuration and set the port number manually. If nothing else works you may need to disable the firewall (this includes Windows firewall.)

If this become a sticky and anybody needs more help I can work on getting some screenshots of some of these steps.
    Last edited by Armatus; July 26, 2005 at 08:49 AM.

Spajjder's Avatar Senator

wasn't it able to play the whole full campaign in multiplayer in shogun?
    Head Scout: You've got three days to earn a badge.
    Peter:Three days? That's tomorrow! We gotta get going!

Quote Originally Posted by Spajjder
    wasn't it able to play the whole full campaign in multiplayer in shogun?
    Saddly no, this is something we've all been wishing for since day one. But there is good news on the horizon at least for Rome players if you read the FAQs.

Default :)

Well, good news:

at forums.totalwar.org/vb/ there's being hosted such campaign.

check the 'STW MP' forum, check the 'want to play an mp campaign?' thread. if you want to post there, registering is necessary.

thanks for the info aeneus. I think I'll add it to my guide. I don't really know much about it, but had much problems myself and got some experience with it now.
    many, many people are having problems logging in, about 25% I'm afraid. some log in after 5-7 attempts, some don't at all. many have problems with hosting, because of routers. about 50% of us can't host and it's annoying. aeneus if you have some time please go to the .org and see if you can help us... some are getting desperate...

any mod please stickie this. :wink:

Hello aeneus,

I see you know a lot more about it then me... please help me a bit more when you have some time:

1) with port triggering you don't need to fill in any IP adress?
    2) is it useful to trigger or forward a port range if possible, or are you sure it is only port 18321 which is needed?
    3)a person with a router has three IP's right? router IP (or 'gateway') comp LAN IP and comp WAN IP?
    4) person without router should have only one right?
    5) a person with router will need to fill in comp lan ip and maybe also router ip right?
    6)i can forward ports in two protocols, tcp and udp. which do I need to use for port 18321? or both?
    7) with my firewall, I think I cannot open ports, but I can make my firewall allow any contact from certain programs(shogun for instance), could that be right?
    8) windows firewall is indepent from other firewalls right? which OS have windows firewall and what to do with it when hosting?
    9) I think I don't have a DMZ, so need to plug in my modem right away. do I have to do anything else besides that and my firewall to let hosting work?
    10) I am afraid I don't have a USB cable that long... can I buy one?

thats about it. thank you so much in advance.

about the mp campaign, if you're intrested in it, you must reply soon. because it getting started soon.

Quote Originally Posted by drisos
    Hello aeneus,

I see you know a lot more about it then me... please help me a bit more when you have some time:

thats about it. thank you so much in advance.

about the mp campaign, if you're intrested in it, you must reply soon. because it getting started soon.

Sorry I did not get this sooner, I was taken up with the outside world for once ...anyway I am still dying to get on the MP server! I will try to help with these questions:

Q. 1) with port triggering you don't need to fill in any IP adress?

A. Correct.

Q. 2) is it useful to trigger or forward a port range if possible, or are you sure it is only port 18321 which is needed?

A. Use triggering rather than forwarding if possible. You may use a range when triggering or forwarding, but all you really need to open is the port number for the MP server and the port number for Shogun which should be 18321.

Q. 3)a person with a router has three IP's right? router IP (or 'gateway') comp LAN IP and comp WAN IP?

A. Your ISP IP address is assigned your gateway, your gateway has it's internal IP which starts a range of IP addresses for computers on the LAN (behind the router.)

Q. 4) person without router should have only one right?

A. Correct.

Q. 5) a person with router will need to fill in comp lan ip and maybe also router ip right?

A. No, only if you use port forwarding which would only require the IP of the computer playing Shogun.

Q. 6)i can forward ports in two protocols, tcp and udp. which do I need to use for port 18321? or both?

A. Go with both... same number for each.

7) with my firewall, I think I cannot open ports, but I can make my firewall allow any contact from certain programs(shogun for instance), could that be right?

A. Correct, go into your program rules in your firewall config and allow all access for Shogun.exe, or create a special rule with the desired port number.

8) windows firewall is indepent from other firewalls right? which OS have windows firewall and what to do with it when hosting?

A. Treat windows firewall just like any other firewall, if it gives you problems just disable it.

9) I think I don't have a DMZ, so need to plug in my modem right away. do I have to do anything else besides that and my firewall to let hosting work?

A. Go DMZ only as a last resort or just plug straight into the modem and forgot about triggering and forwarding!

10) I am afraid I don't have a USB cable that long... can I buy one?

A. How long is that long?

No problem for the late reply... I wouldn't have used it anyway if it would've come sooner.

Thanks for the helpful info.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeneus
    A. How long is that long?
    something between 5 and 7,5 metres I think. (I hope you also work with metres)

I hope these are available...

Well what's keeping you from playing? perhaos you're too busy atm... well that'll get better soon I hope. Hope to see you soon there

I just tried logging on and it's not giving me any errors just sitting there... I check all my ports... hmmm anyone know if it's up and running?
    Last edited by Armatus; September 30, 2005 at 11:19 AM.

Default ...

could be.. lately shambles had some problems with the server indeed. at what point your screen got stuck? in connecting? in that case it's not really a big problem.. just server was down, or you haven't correctly configured or your connection wasn't intact...

when it got stuck at logging in that means something is blocking you, I think... you probably have XP if that happens... shambles has almost figured out how to correct this... at the .org.

hope it works.. just try often

bye

could be.. lately shambles had some problems with the server indeed. at what point your screen got stuck? in connecting? in that case it's not really a big problem.. just server was down, or you haven't correctly configured or your connection wasn't intact...

when it got stuck at logging in that means something is blocking you, I think... you probably have XP if that happens... shambles has almost figured out how to correct this... at the .org.

bye

I tried again this morning nothing but ...logging in... I checked to make sure my internet.cfg was correct, the ports on my firewalls were correct and even tried it while disabling them. If there is a specific time people are getting to togather please let me know, so I can test this again. I am usually available in the morning CST.

there are not really some times like that.. but at the .org we're trying to establish those

there are not really some times like that.. but at the .org we're trying to establish those
    Well I'm saying right here and now I am available, and I should be available on every Friday in the USA between 8:00 AM & 12:00 PM

Anyone who is interested in trying to get a game going pm me!

please change the USA time into GMT.. I don't know which time it is here..

I'm mostly avaiblable wednesday and friday 12.30 GMT... I have 2 and a half hour from then.

sometimes I'm available in evenings, which makes it possible to play with people from USA..

please change the USA time into GMT.. I don't know which time it is here..

I'm mostly avaiblable wednesday and friday 12.30 GMT... I have 2 and a half hour from then.

sometimes I'm available in evenings, which makes it possible to play with people from USA..

My bad... we should really revise this thread :sweatingb

Here is a site on the time: Time zone calculator

So Friday sounds best. I would be on US CST, so GMT is 5 hrs ahead. I might be able to make some afternoons which would be your evenings.

Default ...

Sadly I can't come often on evenings... I do have time but I can't play mp then mostly... sounds strange right? well if you wish I'll pm you to explain. but some evenings I can come... I know there'll be one at the end of Oktober. I'll try to inform you then. :wink:

bye

I was able to log in once after disabling my software firewalls, however only once. I have XP SP2. Next I will try bypassing my router when I have a chance, but that is not ideal so I don't think I will play if it requires me to do that.

Another thing is that the fix I read he was talking about has something to do with partitioning. That is just not something I am interested in either and considering I and others have logged in using XP I fail to understand why Fat32 makes any difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Aeneus
    Another thing is that the fix I read he was talking about has something to do with partitioning. That is just not something I am interested in either and considering I and others have logged in using XP I fail to understand why Fat32 makes any difference?
    Well he sais Windows XP has another type of partitions then '98. Appearantly when Shogun is installed on FAT32 you log in at 1st attempt most of the time. I ALWAYS log in 1st time and all others who have '98 do so. ALL with XP either have it on a FAT32 drive or use the method posted by 'ShinGaiJin'. People who do not do so, always fail to log in first 5 times or what. Some people can simply never log in because of it.

Well of course we can't be 100% sure that it's about having a FAT32 drive but I do know Shambles logs in 10 times as fast as earlier now he changed it.

I hope you do find a method with which you can both play Shogun mp and do whatever other stuff at your computer...

Hello,

my ears were burning,

ok,
    lets see if i can help things out here,

Windows xp uses ntfs formated hard disks,
    just like windows nt,
    Ive found that using a fat32 formated hard drive (like 98 had)
    Allows me to log in to the server 1st try,

Using the standard ntfs dirve With indexing and compression enabled It takes Multiple login attempts and some times wont let me log in at all,

(prehaps its the indexing and compression setings that are to blame)

Unfortunatly if its not fixable by disabeling indexing and compression on your hdd,
    and you dont have a fat 32 hard drive,
    neither do you have a free partition or hard drive you can format to a fat 32.
    the only real thing a xp user can do is,

Try to conect, then hit escape if not connected within 5 seconds and try again, REPETEDLY, It will eventualy log in,
    (sometimes takes 3 turns some times takes 100's)
    Its a real pain and many xp users get tierd of this process and give up.

so the only real fix ive found is to format a spare hard disk or partition to fat 32.
    (and that Works No matter what you may think)
    Log in 1st time 99% of the time now, and the other 1% i log in second attempt.

i have not tried using a ntfs hard disk with Indexing and compression disabled,
    So maby that would be your best place to start,
    Remember to restart your pc after you disable them.

Now....
    There are Big advantages when you use ntfs hard drives,
    As they have compression A 1gb file can take up only 700mb or less disk space on a ntfs hard drive,

Also fat 32 drives can only be 8gb large (i think) So they are at a dissadvantage with modernday hard disks,

but ntfs drives really suck, you cant install any windows os's apart from NT or similar on them,
    Most games Arent designed to be playable on NT, and as a result some games will Refuse to install on to xp
    (unless you force them from a prompt)
    Theif gold Is a example of this,
    to install thief gold on to a xp machine you must Start setup from Run in start manager, And then add a prefix to the setup module,

becous Xp is built on windows nt file system.

You cant install Partition magic On to a ntfs drive, Or many other types of disk manager programs,
    And a lot of older programs and games will just Refuse to run, And compatibilaty mode wont work Either,
    For the fact that the hard disk where the game is kept is STill NTFS And Thats not compatible with 95 or 98.

Now Shogun is not a modern game, And like ALL games It was never designed to run on Windows Nt, (nt was micrsofts Internet OS) "almost thir version of the mac"

So the fact that windows xp uses the windows nt file system (ntfs) does not help the matter,

Now i cant Prove that This is 100% correct.
    but i do know is that I login 1st time now ive installed my game on a fat 32 hard disk,
    where as it would take me 20-30 mins to log in when it was installed on a ntfs,

Try experimenting with the hard disks compression and indexing service,
    you may find a better fix.

ShambleS

P.s

MSN me if you want a game, if im available il probably play.

Shogun_tourniment@hotmail.com

Shogun_tourniment

P.P.S
    The part where drisos explains how to reduce in game MP lag is not 100% correct,
    its not reduce music volume to 0 to fix the problem

Its Tick the MUTE box.

Its the fact that the sounds need to be concidered for all players that lags the game up,
    Mearly reducing the volume means they are still there but queit. And you still get lag.

tick the mute option in the audio options And that will fix it.

ShambleS
    Last edited by ShambleS; November 14, 2005 at 06:21 AM.

hehe shambles, I use both at the same time... :sweatingb

anyways good to see you here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast