Thread: How to Earn Money?

Default How to Earn Money?

I love this mod!!! My only problem is that I can't earn money unless I'm the Romans. What are good ways in this mod to earn money, as everything except industry and farms gives you -100 gold? There needs to be ways to offset this!

Default Re: How to Earn Money?

Roads, Ports, Garrisons and Mines will all improve your economy. Raiding is a good source of early game income for the nomad factions.

What Caymus said + law temples for cities that don't border your capital. Gotta keep corruption to a minimum.

Don't garrisons make you lose money? It says -100 income, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Palaiogos View Post
    Don't garrisons make you lose money? It says -100 income, I think.
    They give law bonuses which help reduce corruption. Less corruption, more money.
    It's been a while since I played a campaign, but I think they also give a trade bonus.

Roads and garrisons will only increase your income if they are part of an actual network of infrastructure buildings extending across multiple provinces. Once you can amass 4 or more provinces connected to each other through roads and waystations, you'll begin to see some noticeable (albeit mild) increase to province income. But in general only an imperial polity can afford to construct regulated highway systems of the magnitude which will accrue any meaningful wealth. Your first realistic step to income is always conquest.

The only income-boosting building worthy of mention are mines. Depending on the province, they can boost your provincial minai per turn by several thousand. However, their cost is extremely high at either ~12000 (level 1) or ~24000 (level 2). So once again, it typically requires the resources of an imperial system to afford the cost of developing mines. Ports are similar to mines except most provinces in the civilized world which will produce a significant trade income are already upgraded to their highest port level, so it is more practical to try and capture the major port cities than it is to try and build a new port city from scratch. (If you're a barbarian faction, forget it. You will never be able to establish a very significant port system).

EBII has really taken a view of the Antique Emperor's challenge as a type of exploitative/extractive process of seizing new taxable provinces and then spending money to tighten political control over the territory while trying to extract soldiers from the conquered population as fuel for new conquests. It's not imagined that you can make more than marginal improvements to the GDP of your territories. You will always have to boost your baseline income through military conquest, but over time by building up the level of provincial farms, roads, and garrisons, you will subtly increase the productivity of your territories, usually once the population has grown and the size of the settlement expands.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

It's always worth to read the Poppis' guide. (Almost) everything is there.

Have in mind that, depending on your faction, it can take up to 4 provinces to be able to actually start getting out of the red due to your starting stack + generals. Barbarians tend to pay less for their troops than civilized folks, so you can start making money much sooner with them. Regardless, when you grow to a size that you are comfortable with, might be worthwhile to disband your army and start some economic build up. Try doing so in your capital and other core recruitment provinces - they will add to the pool, and you can easily muster your numbers back during winter.

Say you can get up to 4 Militia Hoplites in a given city, the pool is full, and you disband 4 Militia Hoplites there. Next turn there will be 8 Militia Hoplites in the pool, which you can easily muster back in a single winter, with the added recruitment slots of the season. Consider as well that upkeeps are generally 1/5 of the recruitment cost, so if you are not going to use a troop for a while, it is worthwhile to dump them in some place's pool. At first your core provinces to ease recruitment - later close to frontiers if you have to build up quickly to stop an invasion.

Finally, make use of the mercenary pool. See it as an alternative pool - you pay extra to get the troops when you need it and more than your recruitment normally allows. In fact you can use it to get some mid to high tier troops that are often in high demand for your faction at its current development level.

What's a good way to play large empires like Ptolemaioi? It seems impossible to get out of the red. Smaller factions are easier to get out of the red (in all honesty, you should probably change Pontos and Hayastan to Very Challenging rather than Nigh-Impossible).

Disband any elephants, pull as many units together as possible without putting public order of your cities in red, attack a city. Your income will be much better afterwards, thanks to new profits from the taken city, and reduced upkeep from the troops you lost. Honestly I do not see at all how you say that big empires are harder to make a profit with. Sure, initial management takes longer, but in the end, you have more choice in which cities to keep, where to attack, losing a single battle is not a huge setback for you.

With Pto and Carthage, in fact, I start already making a profit, so I really don't see what's the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by RodriguesSting View Post
    With Pto and Carthage, in fact, I start already making a profit, so I really don't see what's the issue.
    Carthage makes a profit, but Pto start in the red. Did you disband something when you started?

I don't think so, and I might just be mistaken. One day I will try Pto again and leave some feedback on that.

I was in the red for 20 something turns. I didn't disband anything, though.

Ptolemies shouldn't be too hard to make money with, Alexandria is one of the wealthiest cities in the entire game. Just keep in mind that at this time you're at war with the Seleucids and you're fairly evenly matched. You should go on the offensive with your armies. Gaining more of Syria and Anatolia along with attrition to your armies is the way to go.
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Slaytaninc View Post
    Ptolemies shouldn't be too hard to make money with, Alexandria is one of the wealthiest cities in the entire game. Just keep in mind that at this time you're at war with the Seleucids and you're fairly evenly matched. You should go on the offensive with your armies. Gaining more of Syria and Anatolia along with attrition to your armies is the way to go.
    Ptolemies make a lot of money, but not right from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaytaninc View Post
    Agreed, as the Ptolemies you are pretty constrained by your finances to fight the Syrian War first thing. You really are more than a little foolish if you disband troops at the start of your campaign in EBII. Why, this would be as if to throw your sword away!

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    Carthage makes a profit, but Pto start in the red. Did you disband something when you started?
    I am surprised no one here in this thread talked about disbanding some expensive ships at the beginning of Ptolemy campaign...

It would be insanely sweet if one could earn money playing EBII.

Quote Originally Posted by tentaku View Post
    I am surprised no one here in this thread talked about disbanding some expensive ships at the beginning of Ptolemy campaign...
    It's best to use them to fight AI fleets. Doing so lowers the risk of naval blockades.