View Poll Results: Shall Akar be a citizen?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

17 85.00%
  • No

0 0%
  • Abstain

3 15.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Citizen] Akar (Patron: King Athelstan)

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Default [Citizen] Akar (Patron: King Athelstan)

Hail, Curia! Today I bring forth the first applicant of the new decade, in the applicants tenth year on TWC. Rather fitting, eh?

Akar is quite the (in)famous fellow, and if you've ever visited the Thema Devia, you're bound to have seen one of his posts there. Whenever I've felt down, sick or just a bit tired of TWC Akar shone new light upon the site. Through his valiant efforts he has kept the Thema Devia alive and propsering, almost solely by himself. If it had not been for him, I am confident in saying that TWC as a whole would be a more dull place to be. I do understand that this nomination may come across as controversial, that you may believe that his contributions aren't up to scratch and that he's just a simple er. He doesn't have a grand modding career like the Artifexes, he doesn't eloquently debate in the mudpit, but nonetheless he is a staple of his part of TWC, and that is how I came to know him. Since then he's organised games nights with fellow TWC members through Discord, coming together because of his activity in the Thema Devia.
    In addition to this, Akar has earned a bronze quill for his work in Content Staff under Legio, and he was an integral part of the Minecraft server back in the day. He had an active graphics workshop linked below.
    You might think of him as someone spamming to get that 10 year milestone medal, but he is more than that. Akar is passionate and cares about the community of TWC, taking the step beyond just one-liners in the TD.
    Quote Originally Posted by lolisuck
    I'll say that Akar is a good guy at heart
    He's as active today as he was when he joined 10 years ago, if not more. He cares about the community he's part of, and strives to make it better through laughter, which we all could need in these times. Further elaborating on lolisucks' statement is Commisar Caligula_:
    Quote Originally Posted by Commisar Caligula_
    To the Curia,

To many of you, Akar may appear to be nothing more than a poster who derails threads, skirts the boundaries of what is acceptable on TWC and is just generally determined to be a nuisance.
    All of this is true. However, this is because Akar is one of the most active members of the Thema Devia. An immense amount of credit is due to him to keeping this section of the forums active, a place where members from all parts of the wider forums can get together, cast off their political leanings and just chat about inane nonsense.

If anyone is reluctant because Akar doesn't stray outside of the Thema Devia, just remember that there is an entire form of Citizenry, the Artifex, that is available to modders who may only be active in very specific areas of the forums.

Akar is not only incredibly active in the Thema, but his contributions genuinely contribute to the sense of community in the Thema Devia and has contributed to many of us becoming good friends. So don't write him off just because he seems like an edgy spicy memelord.

Applicants bit In the beginning, there was nothing. Then, sometime around mid-2010, there was Akar.

I discovered Total War when I got a demo disc for Rome Total War in an edition of Pc Gamer and it didn't take long for me to beg my parents to buy me a copy of the game and it took even less time before I found my way here to TWC looking for mods. I didn't really stick around for the mods though, as good as they were. It was the community I found in the Thema Devia and the "Other Games" forum that kept me coming back for the past decade.

I was an integral part of getting the TWC Minecraft community started and was one of the first members and moderators of the server. Eventually, the community grew too big for the forum and GED moved towards a "Minecraft Center" forum and invested in actual server software. At the peak there was around 200 or so players that frequented the forums and server.

Around that time Legio got me involved in Content after seeing my reviews and my artwork in the Graphics Workshop. I labored extensively under the yoke of content, publishing at least ONE article. I continued my writings in my short foray into blogging.

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/entr...Holiday-Season

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/entr...will-fight-him

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...HOP&highlight=

Mostly though, I'm known for my Quality Contributions(TM) to the Thema Devia. I've been a staple there ever since I found the place in 2012 and I've been there pretty much every single day since. My threads usually attract humorous and friendly conversation and discussion that livens up the less-than-serious portions of the forum. I've been referred to as "The father of the Thema Devia" by persons who have requested to remain unnamed and have the quote not attributed to them for fear of reprisal.

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...sin&highlight=

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...ind&highlight=

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...igh&highlight=

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...ion&highlight=

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...OT)&highlight=

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...der&highlight=

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...ues&highlight=

In the past few months I have started the "Exclusive Invitation Only Unofficial Official Total War Center Thema Devia Discord Server" or "EIOUOTWCTDDS" for short. We organize semi-regular Thema Devia game nights and very-regular drink binging nights. I've always loved the community here on TWC and in the Thema Devia and I'd love to take further part in Total War Center's labyrinthine political structure.

https://discord.gg/ASqJf5C

I truly believe Akar deserves citizenship. The constitution of Total War Center, section I, Article I opens with the following sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Section I - Citizenship and Curial Officers
    Citizenship is the fundamental award given by the Curia for contributions to the site and community of TWC.
    Akars contributions do in my opinion making him fully deserving of citizenship, and I hope you see him that way too.

And as per the family tradition

Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

Default Re: [Citizen] Akar (Patron: King Athelstan)

Well, can't say I have seen much of Akar's posts, if any at all. But I guess the same is probably true for him in regard to me.

So I will go on that what is written in the application and support this, particularly for his effort in keeping (a part of) this community alive.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

lol imagine Akar getting citizenship. Support for the meme factor alone
    he does deserve it though

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Opposed.

Sure he is funny and this gave me a good laugh, but despite that I cannot support this application.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Diamat's Avatar VELUTI SI DEUS DARETUR

My archenemy is infiltrating the CVRIA? Let the battle of the titans commence.

All kidding aside, I think we need more members like Akar. The Thema Devia was dying. I tried to do some things every once in a while, but the place was basically dead. Then came Akar, who revived the Thema Devia and is now my favorite playmate. Isn't reviving an entire subforum contribution enough? Who among us has ever achieved the same? I reckon not many.

Support.

Akar is a fine fellow who has helped revitalising the Thema Devia forum. He's not perfect, as he somewhat lags in rap contest and his sense of humour may cause some controversy, but that's pretty inevitable, when it comes to good jokes. His contributions to politics are appreciated, like his rhetorical fight against Nazi apologia.
    It's a support from me.

La♔De♔Da♔Brigadier Graham's Avatar Artifex♔Duffer♔Civitate
    Patrician Citizen

The Den,with a massive pair of binoculars, surveying TWC, ensuring members are laughing & happy!

I believe Akar would make a great citizen, although he isnt as funny as me of course, but his efforts at causing pandemonium in the TD are worthy of some titillation to a degree,
    and all that.
    Support

"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained Dufferism"

Adamat's Avatar Invertebrate

If Akar were a cat, he'd be one of the hairy variety: always up for a joke, curious about everything, and hungry for dead (or live) birds and mice every once in a while. As far as I'm concerned, that's the perfect set of traits for a citizen. I'm also allergic to cats though, so keep this man far far away from me please or I'm calling the police.

Some of you may scoff at the TD and the supposed non-value that it has, but I think it's fair to say that it is not only the most entertaining, but also one of the more active parts of the site today, thanks in part to Akars Antics(tm). Funnyposting is actually quite difficult, and if you doubt that statement I'd like to invite you to the TD to try for yourself. Doing it on a consistent basis is even more difficult, and deserves praise. Support.
    #JusticeForCookie #JusticeForCal #JusticeForAkar #JusticeForAthelchan

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Support. We all know how his posts can toe the line sometimes, but his intentions are pure and in good humour.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Avian Alliance Support
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Settra View Post
    Avian Alliance Support
    Support.

Edit: Expounding in light of the discussion: I do not consider satire to be a mark against a potential citizen. Contributing to the culture and life of the TD is valuable in and of itself, just as much as writing game guides or fostering quality discussion and debate elsewhere. There's also something to be said for this:
    He's as active today as he was when he joined 10 years ago, if not more.
    Sustained commitment to the community is a valuable quality in any citizen, especially when some in the past pursued citizenship, only to then rest on their laurels and slowly drop off the radar.
    Last edited by Lord Thesaurian; February 02, 2020 at 03:35 PM.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Hitai de Bodemloze's Avatar 避世絕俗
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

I will abstain. I've always championed the idea of being a pillar of the community as contribution enough for citizenship, and the applicant surely ticks this box. Yet the majority of his posts that I have seen - even the ones he himself cites above - appear entirely asinine in nature, and in days gone by would maybe be enough to actually disqualify him from citizenship. His posts outside of the TD often seem thoughtful and considered (although certainly not always..), but these look to be relatively few and far between. Maybe I'm just an old dinosaur, but I'm reluctant to support an application that is at heart based upon just spamming the TD - even for such a prolonged period, or for now in such times of inactivity and disquiet. I don't recall many past awards granted for this, and neither would I want to see citizenship awarded for such in the future. Yet he obviously is someone who cares about the site and who has made himself integral to a part of the community here, so I have no right to oppose either. As such, I won't stand in the way if the Curia wishes to grant him citizenship, and I wish him all the best.

Edit: For the record, I would be more than happy - now or in the future - to support him for Man of the Hour or a Loincloth, given his contributions. The latter would admittedly be somewhat ironic, given that it automatically confers citizenship, but the Curia has many quirks I suppose.
    Last edited by Hitai de Bodemloze; February 02, 2020 at 05:13 PM.

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

I will also abstain. There has always been a debate about what constitutes acceptable contributions and activity to be awarded citizenship. Old school thinking would say modding and testing activity, graphics or moderation participation, etc. Then there have been the "debaters", the suggestion that quality posting in and of itself is sufficient to demonstrate the qualities needed for citizenship.

I'm not sure what constitutes quality contributions anymore now that this board has become a irrelevant backwater to the TW gaming environment. However, I guess we must press someone into the oarlocks.

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

Cooler heads must prevail here. Imagine the DAMAGE he could do once he infiltrates the curia. We simply cannot risk such an awful thing, I shudder to imagine the apocalyptic scenario wherein he becomes our consul or proposes the Akar revolutionary measures in a sweeping bill affecting the site in some profoundly disturbing way. I must respectfully support the application of this dangerous fiend.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Support for the incumbent grandchild.

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.
    Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    Cooler heads must prevail here. Imagine the DAMAGE he could do once he infiltrates the curia. We simply cannot risk such an awful thing, I shudder to imagine the apocalyptic scenario wherein he becomes our consul or proposes the Akar revolutionary measures in a sweeping bill affecting the site in some profoundly disturbing way.
    Should I highlight that this essentially describes my entire career as a citizen here?

Dubious...

...poll added.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

I mean, will he enter the House of Hader, then? Really? I've finally found the right minion for overthrowing you, Inquisitor!

Jokes aside, I'm surprised that one like Akar really wants to be a citizen, I always assumed he wasn't interested.. however, I don't see why he shouldn't be considered a pillar of this community.. I personally don't agree with restricting citizenship to only certain areas of contribution, in my book every area is important at TWC, and the citizenship in only the first step in recognizing the contributions of valuable members in the Curia (the last being major Curial awards), so in general I'm ok with rewarding citizenship for valuable activity in the TD. Besides, as Abdul himself hinted, Akar's not only active there.. for instance he posted some sound advises in the PH&A (and believe me they were thoughtful advises), plus he decided to participate in posting blogs in the CMS (though his usual kind of post isn't suited for a CMS blog.. )

Said the above, I personally had some issues with him, but that doesn't mean that I would not support this application, if anything for one important reason, which many seem to neglect when it comes to evaluating citizenship applications... the will to participate and contribute.. in a age of decreased activity, in a age in which many old members only come back to the site to cry about it's death or to belittle the work of those who still invest time and efforts in it, Akar's continuous efforts in the TD are a blessing to it.. one can like or not his humor (I personally think that some of his jokes are beyond the line, others I found very funny), but still this doesn't undervalue his contribution in that section and the efforts he's been putting in.

I'm in the hope that, as he already shown with his posts in the PH&A, he will improve his posting behavior outside of the TD and learn that not all the places are suited for jokes, in particular borderline jokes.. accepting to be sponsored as a citizen and becoming one is an important commitment to maintain certain standards (and avoiding infractions) and this is something both the applicant and the patron should always keep in mind...

Support, I wish to see the lad have his opportunity to show us what he is really worth of
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Abstain too.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

Support

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast