Thread: Unit HP/ Unit Entity Based Morale

Default Unit HP/ Unit Entity Based Morale

In the morale file you have the option to set morale to either apply to unit hp loss or unit entity loss.

I was wondering if there was a way to apply these settings on a per unit basis, since a single entity unit does not suffer morale penalties when the morale is set to the entity loss setting.

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Unit HP/ Unit Entity Based Morale

I'm not sure I undersrand your question.

Are your refering to the kv_morale table, and entries such as

recent_casualties_penalty_10 -12 Unit lost 10% hitpoints/entities in last 4 sec
    total_casualties_penalty_10 -2 Unit lost 10% hitpoints/entities in total

and

use_hitpoints_instead_of_casualties_prop_in_morale_calculation 1 Whether the casualties penalty percentage refers to the unit's remaining hitpoints (1) or to the unit's remaining entities (0)

Since this parameter is based on HP, it means the game always use HP for morale. So a 160 men unit with all alive but wounded at 50% HP would have a morale penalty.

If you set it to 0, then the same unit would have no morale penatly: they are all woudned, but all alive, so the entities count is still at 100%

And for single entity unit such as a hero, with 1 then have morale penalty when wounded, with 0 their wound has no effect on morale.

So I don't think the "per entity" option is actually useful, the perf HP seems much more interesting

I don't see how you want to make this a "per unit basis". What does it mean?

I'm referring to use_hitpoints_instead_of_casualties_prop_in_morale_calculation.

The problem I have is I'd like to swap to using the entities for the calculations instead of unit hp.

However, this does not work with single entity units like heroes well at all, and was wondering if I could somehow assign these units an hp based morale calculation, instead of everyone conforming to the same morale rule.

This would mean that a unit of scaven slaves would route with casualties taken, while a hero would route with damage taken.

Thanks for the reply and hopefully this clears any confusions up.

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

I don't think it is possible. The use_hitpoints_instead_of_casualties_prop_in_morale_calculation ssems to be a global toggle.

My guess is that initially, the morale was computed based on entity lost, not health. But then CA introduced large monster, so single entities , with Warhammer, and they added this togle so its computed on HP instead, and forced it to 1 so it can work.

As you said, if you change it to entity, it doesn't work for hero or single entity monster.

So I'm afraid the two chocies you have are
    1) - Hero route with damage taken, and skaven slaves route with casualties taken and damage (they have the same chance to rout if half the entities all have half hipoints, and none died, as they would if half the entities are done, and half is undamaged)
    2) - Hero don't care about damage, and skaven slaves route when entities are killed, regardless if they are wounded.

but honestely, I think choice 1 (current one) is better.

With option 2, you can have a unit with 160 entities, all with only one 1 HP left, and it has no effect on morale...

Optin 1 takes into account wounded/damage units AND killed entities (since killing an entity will reduced the global HP of the unit).

That's to bad, thank you for taking the time to answer my question tho.