Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SURPRISED; WHY is 3K forums so DEAD relative to other TW titles?

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: SURPRISED; WHY is 3K forums so DEAD relative to other TW titles?

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    The number of people playing a single game day after day on Steam and $ earned from said game are two different things. We know Rome 2 sold millions and 3K is the fastest selling game to date. I suppose CA could just go with the GW audience and try to drag everyone else along but that actually doesn't make sense because of how well the historical games sell. I'm on Reddit almost every day and the "Empire 2 when?" or "Med 3 when?" posts are VERY common. Back when I used to check there were almost always more folks playing historical than WH titles. Right now for example 20:00 US Eastern Time 41,000 are playing historical and 27,000 the Warhammers.
    Returning to old statement....New DLC dropped yesterday and WH2 got all time high peak. Even 3K is unable to break serious numbers with DLCs yet WH can. Just saying...And we will see what Wh3 will bring...

DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

It's the battles. They are so stale that there is nothing to talk about. If 3k had dropped in 2010 we'd be raving about it non-stop. But CA has long stopped improving battles in terms of positioning, tactics and manoeuvre and has instead worked on the spreadsheet simulator side of things. Exchanging spreadsheet data is boring.

Maybe a good chunk of the players are chinese, so they don't post in an english speaking forum

But realistically what kind of mod would work in this game?

Quote Originally Posted by Ngazi View Post
    But realistically what kind of mod would work in this game?
    There's quite a few. Most of the big ones are for characters or unit overhauls. There's some really nice ones that add character biographies and historical weapon models.

On the general overhaul side, there's our SFO mod, which is primarily KAM's balancing with some changes to the Han campaigns to remove some of the more problematic elements and make progression and empire development more serious. There's TROM, which is more playing up the Romance and elemental balance angle. Then there's UAD which is a strict historical overhaul that's mainly focused on recreating the historical scenario and mechanics, which ends up feeling very much like a Rise of Three Kingdoms throwback remade in TW:3K.
    My Three Kingdoms Military History Blog / Military Map Project - https://zirroxas.tumblr.com/
    Ask me a question!

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Using TWC to see whether if a game (like 3K) is popular or not is certainly wrong in 2020. Hell, I guess it's already wrong since 2015 already.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    Using TWC to see whether if a game (like 3K) is popular or not is certainly wrong in 2020. Hell, I guess it's already wrong since 2015 already.
    Reddit is not the answer either since the TW subreddit is 90% memes. And I love Reddit.

Game stats are the way to judge a game. And it looks like WH is the most popular.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

If I were to wager a guess, it's because of the mods. There aren't any large overhaul mods for Three Kingdoms like EB or Stainless Steel. We saw that in Shogun 2, after all the large overhaul mods were made and the ones that are still being made are moved to Discord, the Subforum is basically dead. The only reason why I check the subforum is because of the tutorials for my submod of Total FoTS and whether or not I could do some large things when scripting. Interestingly enough, there still hasn't been a good guide to scripting on the Shogun 2 forum, but that's off-topic.

Additionally, Three Kingdoms seems to be a bingeable game instead of a Long-Play game. Like, in the beginning of every campaign, I just love how polished and how the mechanics in the game are mostly balanced. This goes a complete 180 when I get to King and I have to conquer the other 2 kings because I then complain about how they made a worse version of Realm Divide. In Shogun 2, at least you were able to easily defend your settlements if they were under attack via chokepoints and zone of control or just recruiting a few units. In Three Kingdoms, your econ gets screwed so quickly during king to the point that of annoyance and campaign quit. Also, in the past few months, they have done some stuff with the morale which makes battles a lot quicker.

I really dislike the battles to be quicker because my frontline disintegrates and the perfect hammer charge that I was setting up just doesn't have its anvil anymore

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Leandros I View Post
    Reddit is not the answer either since the TW subreddit is 90% memes. And I love Reddit.

Game stats are the way to judge a game. And it looks like WH is the most popular.
    Not even talking about Reddit. I went there once in a while for other stuff, never TW games.

The official forum still have traffic for 3K. Same with FB groups. In any case, TWC is no longer the place to find information about never TW games. The train has left post Rome II.

The Noble Lord's Avatar Holy Arab Nation

Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post
    Therefore, if we take into consideration the appeal of Steam and Reddit
    I can never imagine that STEAM and Reddit would be alternatives for the TWC..... Maybe I am old-fashioned but that's impossible for me
    [IMG][/IMG]
    أسد العراق Asad al-Iraq
    KOSOVO IS SERBIA!!!
    Under the proud patronage of the magnificent Tzar

Live2sculpt's Avatar Senator

WOW!
    I've been away from TWC for several months and hadn't returned to my thread.
    THANK YOU ALL for contributing so constructively to this important dialogue.
    It reassures me that TWC remains a hub for thoughtful consideration of the TW titles.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

OK, a bit late to the party but:

https://steamcharts.com/search/?q=total+war

In the end of 2021, 3KTW was the 3rd most popular game, about twice as many average users as the 4th (M2TW) and just a breath away from the 2nd (R2TW).

So I wouldn't call the game unpopular.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

So in total, the TW series on Steam is played by about give or take 40.000 people a month. Is that a lot? Is that not a lot?
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    OK, a bit late to the party but:

https://steamcharts.com/search/?q=total+war

In the end of 2021, 3KTW was the 3rd most popular game, about twice as many average users as the 4th (M2TW) and just a breath away from the 2nd (R2TW).

So I wouldn't call the game unpopular.
    Your comparison in NOT valid. Remember that while Rome II had to be activated via STEAM even if the owner has the CD version that is not apply for M2TW. If M2TW is 3rd in STEAM you must add the hundreds of thousands that bought the CD VERSION 15 years ago and still play with it .See that despite M2TW exists in STEAM most mods still refer for the CD version. So the numbers must be compared between Rome II, Attila and the next TW series but not vs M2TW that still dominates in TW HARDCORE FANS.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Leandros I View Post
    So in total, the TW series on Steam is played by about give or take 40.000 people a month. Is that a lot? Is that not a lot?
    It's played by approximately 40,000 people at any given time. Hard to figure out how many unique people that comes out to every month. There are still the few people playing Troy on EGS and few still using unverified physical or pirated copies, but those are likely in the realm of rounding errors.

Its pretty good for an entirely PC strategy game. It still puts us behind the combined Paradox lineup and maybe around Civilization. We can claim the largest PC strategy game launch I think though. We almost broke 200000 simultaneous players with 3K, and the closest one to that I think is the launch of Civ 6 (160,000).
    My Three Kingdoms Military History Blog / Military Map Project - https://zirroxas.tumblr.com/
    Ask me a question!

Quote Originally Posted by kambiz View Post
    Newer games also less accessable to people that can't afford them !
    Gosh and look at the prices as well, I mean I can hardly provide myself with inflation and now these prices...

The Noble Lord's Avatar Holy Arab Nation

Quote Originally Posted by Live2sculpt View Post
    WOW!
    I've been away from TWC for several months and hadn't returned to my thread.
    THANK YOU ALL for contributing so constructively to this important dialogue.
    It reassures me that TWC remains a hub for thoughtful consideration of the TW titles.
    That is my intention my friend, that TWC always stays the hub of all the things, happenings and related issues in regards to the TW games.
    If we are to talk about these things, it should be on here!!!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    أسد العراق Asad al-Iraq
    KOSOVO IS SERBIA!!!
    Under the proud patronage of the magnificent Tzar

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

3K isn't that bad IMO. Just a bit out of the usual more popular (I guess) European historical timeline.
    It's release wasn't bad either. Actually it was far smoother than the usual big TW releases.

Because it's garbage. Just as all newer TW games. Long live the old times!!!!

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

Come on, 3K isn't that bad.
    At least they tried something (quite) different

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast