Thread: Wall (upgrade) not working

Icon5 Wall (upgrade) not working

I am running into a building problem. I have several large towns with a wooden wall. When hovering over the icon I get the message "Wooden Wall (upgrade)". When entering the building window there is no Stone Wall building option (net even greyed out). There is no indication why it is not possible to build a Stone Wall while the city is a large town.
    I tried to find the requirements or bugs for the Stone Wall and only found that is requires a large town.

What am I missing and are there hidden requirements for building upgrades?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wall upgrade.jpg  

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: Wall (upgrade) not working

Do you have the required population size to move to small city from large town?
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Dear mansch,

Are governors buildings relevant to Med. II? Have you built the correct buildings? Perhaps your settlement needs to grow before you can build stone walls.

I know that in Medieval II, cities cannot be upgraded as much as castles or citadels.

I'm afraid I've only played Rome: Total War, so I am not at all familiar with Medieval II & probably am not all that helpful. I hope someone more knowledgeable than me comes along.

-
    G. Ward

Vlad Dracul's Avatar Tiro

You definitely don't have enough people in that settlement in order to be able to upgrade it. You need to have patience until that happens. In the mean time, to speed up the process, set the taxes level to "low", it'll allow faster population growing.

Oh, I forgot to mention that Florence usually takes a lot of time to develop, so don't panic, it's not a bug. It's just a slow process.
    Last edited by Vlad Dracul; January 30, 2020 at 10:23 AM.

^ sounds about right to me.

Patience is a virtue.

Happy Total War-ing.

-
    G. Ward

I found the "error" a large town needs to have at least 6000 people in order to build the upgraded walls.

👍👌😀

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

In the settlement info window 'mouse' over the population growth percentage number - that will give you the required population for the next upgrade: