Page 32 of 222 FirstFirst ... 72223242526272829303132333435363738394041425782132 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus outbreak - From China to the World.

Default Re: USA Democratic party 2020 candidates and primaries thread

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    The Democrats are not the only ones with blame. What they did was crappy but to be fair, the Republicans tried to put things in the bill that were favoring their own buddies - big money.
    However it is undeniable that democrats are worse IMO in this situation as some of the things they asked to put on the bill are even worse.
    As Clyburn said:
    “This is a tremendous opportunity to restructure things to fit our vision,”

Default Re: Coronavirus outbreak - From China to the World.

Quote Originally Posted by Mithradates View Post
    What? So over 90% of the infected could be asymptomatic?
    Yeah, I doubt it. Notice the contradiction within the article:

Some recent scientific studies have suggested that the percentage of asymptomatic people who have contracted Covid-19 may be very high. In some areas of Italy, it is estimated that non-asymptomatic patients, capable of transmitting the virus, are over 50%.
    And I noticed there are no references to these "scientific studies". I've seen some mentions of about 50% being asymptomatic in low number data sets, but not in anything like a study where there is a follow up to confirm those who tested positive didn't subsequently develop symptoms. In Italy 9.5% of confirmed cases have already died. Plus there is the evidence that as many as two thirds of deaths are not being officially recorded as such in parts of Italy due to lack of confirmation. So I'm curious as to what sort of magical calculations are required to make the case fatality rate significantly lower than the official estimates, assuming CFR is what they actually meant since referring to "mortality rate" would be nonsensical in this context.

I still believe that under ideal conditions a case fatality rate close to 1% is within the realm of possibility, but for Italy now, this is just wishful thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by Exarch View Post
    Proof?
    btw Andrews Airforce Base, the focal point of american astroturfing really needs to up their game in recent weeks; when it comes to events that actually happened, the Czechs stole Chinese donated face masks meant for Italy, and these were from chinese companies and private Chinese individuals, not the government. Needless to say, this was around the same time the Chinese government also supplied masks and other materiel to the Czech government to aid in the fight against COVID-19.
    When and if I find an English article about it, I'll post it here.

By the way, about that shipment...what happened is that a suspicious storage of masks was discovered and held by Czech authorities, on suspicion of being stockpiled for price gouging. Afterwards, its Chinese owners claimed it's meant to be a gift to Italy...which kinda does not explain what it was doing sitting in warehouse away from main shipping lines, way off course in northern Bohemia. The material is currently being shipped out to Italy under Czech supervision.

Quote Originally Posted by Exarch View Post
    What we have here is a startling disconnect between the rulers and the ruled, on the level of "Let them eat cake" when today, one of the mouthpieces suggested that the elderly should just accept dying from coronavirus.
    You mean like disconnect like ignoring the will of majority of Hong Kong, Tibet and Taiwanese citizens, suppressing Uyghurs' religion and culture, silencing its own people when they warn of impending pandemic and so on?

Has anyone tried thoughts and prayers yet?

Or have we all finally accepted that superstitious mumbo-jumbo is no substitute for scientific knowledge...

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel144 View Post
    As Clyburn said:
    Never let a crisis go to waste etc
    Last edited by Prodromos; March 24, 2020 at 11:28 AM.
    Ignore List (to save time):

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    The Democrats are not the only ones with blame. What they did was crappy but to be fair, the Republicans tried to put things in the bill that were favoring their own buddies - big money.
    However it is undeniable that democrats are worse IMO in this situation as some of the things they asked to put on the bill are even worse.
    They blocked the bill because they were opposed to a 500$ billion slush fund that the Treasury could use at their discretion with little oversight. Considering the utter incompetence and near blatant profiteering of this administration, this concern is more than warranted.

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel144 View Post
    As Clyburn said:
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeft View Post
    Has anyone tried thoughts and prayers yet?

Or have we all finally accepted that superstitious mumbo-jumbo is no substitute for scientific knowledge...
    I'm sure lots of people have been thinking and praying about this. For example, Francis Collins, director of the National Institutes of Health:

Collins later met a Methodist pastor, Sam MacMillan, who was “a very willing partner for me, tolerating my blasphemous questions and assuring me that if God was real there would be answers.” It was MacMillan who introduced Collins to the work of C. S. Lewis, starting with Mere Christianity.

“I realized in the very first two or three pages of that book that most of my objections against faith were utterly simplistic. They were arguments from a schoolboy. Here was an Oxford intellectual giant who had traveled the same path from atheism to faith, and had a way of describing why that made sense that was utterly disarming. It was also very upsetting. It was not the answer I was looking for.” But it was, for Collins, the answer he eventually found, and at 27, he became a Christian.

The embrace of that faith transformed not only his relationship with God, but also how he viewed other people, and himself. “They are all, as Lewis said, angels around you. And the notion therefore that it is okay to put yourself in the driver’s seat in every way, regardless of what effect that has on others, it’s simply indefensible. I think it did take what had been for me a pretty strong ambitious driving approach and moderate it, not to say that I didn’t retain a fair amount of that, but maybe in a somewhat more loving, forgiving approach.”

When I asked him how he sees faith now, in his late 60s, compared with how he saw things in his late 20s, he told me, “I think I’ve also arrived at a place where my faith has become a really strong support for dealing with life’s struggles. It took me awhile, I think—that sense that God is sufficient and that I don’t have to be strong in every circumstance.”

I found that striking, particularly in this moment. “One of my great puzzles when I first became a Christian is that verse, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, because My strength is made perfect in your weakness,’” he told me. “That was so completely upside down for me. Weakness? And now I embrace that with the fullness of everything around me when I’m realizing that my strength is inadequate, whether it’s coronavirus or some family crisis, God’s strength is always sufficient. That is a such a great comfort, but it took me a long time to get to the point of really owning that one.”
    Interview With Francis Collins of NIH - The Atlantic

Why would we choose prayer over scientific knowledge when we can have both? Such a choice is a false one, created by someone who desires harm to prayer.
    Ignore List (to save time):

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

Call me old fashioned but I fail to see why anyone would praise a spiteful deity that sends plagues to kill us all...

But to keep things balanced, let's pray...

"Oh Lord. Please don't kill me and my family with your plague. We appreciate that as an omnipotent deity you have the power to shape the universe to your design with a single thought. We also appreciate that you could also just fix whatever it is about the world that pisses you off with one wish. So surely sending a plague to needlessly torture your faithful flock is unnecessary.

Whatever we've done to anger your magnificence, we're sorry. We promise to keep turning the other cheek as Jesus taught us, while in return you keep sending fire, plague and death upon us. Please don't kill my children out of spite.

Amen"

B. W.'s Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Love Mountain View Post
    They blocked the bill because they were opposed to a 500$ billion slush fund that the Treasury could use at their discretion with little oversight. Considering the utter incompetence and near blatant profiteering of this administration, this concern is more than warranted.

"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
    That's just media BS. I watched the entire Senate proceedings. The bill was drafted in a bi-partisan committee and agree on. When the Dems realized that 5 Republicans would not be able to vote on it because they were in quarantine (which gave them control) they added hundreds of pages of their most coveted left-wing wish list.

They tried to force a vote on their new exclusively partisan bill, but McConnell forced the preliminary vote on the previously agreed to bill.

Among the many things that Dems added to the vote were:

1. a carbon tax on the airline industry (yeah, that's right, the Dems want to add taxes to an industry that is on the brink of failing and employs hundreds of thousands of Americans)

2. mandated diversity on corporate boards (this may not apply to minority owned companies)

3. tax credits for wind and solar

4. money for Planed parenthood so taxpayers will be forced to pay for abortions.

etc. etc.

None of the above have anything to do with helping people make it from paycheck to paycheck.

The money to big corporations were to be tax free only if they did not lay off any idled employees. (in other words, the money was for paychecks to the workers).
    Last edited by B. W.; March 24, 2020 at 12:44 PM.

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by B. W. View Post
    That's just media BS. I watched the entire Senate proceedings. The bill was drafted in a bi-partisan committee and agree on. When the Dems realized that 5 Republicans would not be able to vote on it because they were in quarantine (which gave them control) they added hundreds of pages of their most coveted left-wing wish list.

They tried to force a vote on their new exclusively partisan bill, but McConnell forced the preliminary vote on the previously agreed to bill.

1. a carbon tax on the airline industry (yeah, that's right, the Dems want to add taxes to an industry that is on the brink of failing and employs hundreds of thousands of Americans)

2. mandated diversity on corporate boards (this may not apply to minority owned companies)

4. money for Planed parenthood so taxpayers will be forced to pay for abortions.

etc. etc.

None of the above have anything to do with helping people make it from paycheck to paycheck.

The money to big corporations were to be tax free only if they did not lay off any idled employees. (in other words, the money was for paychecks to the workers).
    Increases the amount of money being offered to individuals to $1,500, and up to $7,500 for a family of five.
    Waives $10,000 in federal student loan payments.

Dedicate $4 billion in grant funding to help states with upcoming elections and nationally mandates 15 days of early voting and no-excuse absentee vote-by-mail, including mailing a ballot to all registered voters in an emergency.

Includes a section that would cancel several executive orders and presidential memorandums that Democrats argue have weakened public sector unions' ability to engage in collective bargaining.

Creates new carbon offset guidelines for airlines, with a long-term goal of reducing jet fuel emissions by 50% by 2050.

Allocates $150 billion to support hospitals, local health centers and government-funded medical programs, with an additional $80 billion in low-interest loans to hospitals.

Eliminates cost-sharing for coronavirus treatments and vaccines for all patients, including the uninsured.

Addresses broader health care concerns that Democrats have pushed for months, including increasing subsidies on the individual market and creating new incentives for states to expand Medicaid.

Provides child care assistance to health care workers and emergency personnel.

Would temporarily provide $600 per week to unemployed workers affected by the coronavirus.

Self-employed workers, Americans whose contracts were canceled, and new entrants to the job market would also be eligible.

Expands paid sick leave and family medical leave, as well as gives more money to food-safety benefits.

Provides $500 billion in grants and interest-free loans to small businesses.

Creates a $200 billion stabilization fund for states and $15 billion for local governments through the Community Development Block Grant program. The legislation also authorizes the Federal Reserve to purchase state and local government bonds.

Pumps nearly $60 billion into schools and universities, with $50 billion directly provided to states for school funding and nearly $10 billion to higher education institutions.

Dedicates $20 billion to reimbursing the U.S. Postal Service for lost revenue, and forgives USPS debt.

Requires companies receiving federal assistance during coronavirus to institute a $15 minimum wage.

These have everything to do with people living paycheck to paycheck, or completely out of work due to the pandemic. But hey, details...who needs em, right?
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

Mithradates's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    Yeah, I doubt it. Notice the contradiction within the article:

And I noticed there are no references to these "scientific studies". I've seen some mentions of about 50% being asymptomatic in low number data sets, but not in anything like a study where there is a follow up to confirm those who tested positive didn't subsequently develop symptoms. In Italy 9.5% of confirmed cases have already died. Plus there is the evidence that as many as two thirds of deaths are not being officially recorded as such in parts of Italy due to lack of confirmation. So I'm curious as to what sort of magical calculations are required to make the case fatality rate significantly lower than the official estimates, assuming CFR is what they actually meant since referring to "mortality rate" would be nonsensical in this context.

I still believe that under ideal conditions a case fatality rate close to 1% is within the realm of possibility, but for Italy now, this is just wishful thinking.
    He is the Emergency Commissioner and Civil Protection Chief so I would expect him to not say things like this unless he can back them up with studies, maybe this is wishful thinking too lol

-
    India will lock down for the next 21 days, thats 1.4 billion people, wow

Bailing out companies is necessary because they employ people. However, I'm not about to give a blank check and these next 4 years mustn't be squandered like Trump did, or the corporate yes men that were in charge of Obama's bailouts.

Quote Originally Posted by irontaino View Post
    Increases the amount of money being offered to individuals to $1,500, and up to $7,500 for a family of five.
    Waives $10,000 in federal student loan payments.

Dedicate $4 billion in grant funding to help states with upcoming elections and nationally mandates 15 days of early voting and no-excuse absentee vote-by-mail, including mailing a ballot to all registered voters in an emergency.

Includes a section that would cancel several executive orders and presidential memorandums that Democrats argue have weakened public sector unions' ability to engage in collective bargaining.

Creates new carbon offset guidelines for airlines, with a long-term goal of reducing jet fuel emissions by 50% by 2050.

Allocates $150 billion to support hospitals, local health centers and government-funded medical programs, with an additional $80 billion in low-interest loans to hospitals.

Eliminates cost-sharing for coronavirus treatments and vaccines for all patients, including the uninsured.

Addresses broader health care concerns that Democrats have pushed for months, including increasing subsidies on the individual market and creating new incentives for states to expand Medicaid.

Provides child care assistance to health care workers and emergency personnel.

Would temporarily provide $600 per week to unemployed workers affected by the coronavirus.

Self-employed workers, Americans whose contracts were canceled, and new entrants to the job market would also be eligible.

Expands paid sick leave and family medical leave, as well as gives more money to food-safety benefits.

Provides $500 billion in grants and interest-free loans to small businesses.

Creates a $200 billion stabilization fund for states and $15 billion for local governments through the Community Development Block Grant program. The legislation also authorizes the Federal Reserve to purchase state and local government bonds.

Pumps nearly $60 billion into schools and universities, with $50 billion directly provided to states for school funding and nearly $10 billion to higher education institutions.

Dedicates $20 billion to reimbursing the U.S. Postal Service for lost revenue, and forgives USPS debt.

Requires companies receiving federal assistance during coronavirus to institute a $15 minimum wage.

These have everything to do with people living paycheck to paycheck, or completely out of work due to the pandemic. But hey, details...who needs em, right?
    You're mixing up things that were already in the bill with things that have been added by the Dems. This looks like more media disinformation to cover the asses of the misbehavior by the Dems.

A few of the things the Dems added were good, but that doesn't detract from the fact that they were trying to use the misery of out of work Americans to further their left-wing agenda.
    Last edited by B. W.; March 24, 2020 at 02:04 PM.

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

According to the news, some conservatives have suggested the US went too far in limiting people's movements to protect health at the expense of businesses. And Trump keeps saying " We're going to open up our country".
    Good luck with that...
    -----
    Ask the top 1% to pay the economic crisis. Problem solved.
    ------------------------------
    I have some doubts...
    China's Economy to Return Fast to Potential Growth, PBOC .Bloomberg
    China’s economy will swiftly return to its potential growth rate and there’ll be significant improvement in the coming three months, a senior central bank official said Sunday.
    --
    Edit,

Trump: Cuomo 'supposed to be buying his own ventilators
    ...rather than relying on the federal government.
    Trump doesn't give a about you, American people: Trump Says 50,000 Could Die From Flu. So Far, It's Half That.
    "We have a lot of people dying from the flu on top of everything else"
    ---

China's Factories Work 24/7 to Build Ventilators for Milan, New ...

“It’s ventilators, ventilators, ventilators,” Cuomo told reporters. “That is the greatest need.” The state “has people in China shopping for ventilators,” he said.
    Overall in the U.S., the Society of Critical Care Medicine estimates that 960,000 patients would need ventilator support due to Covid-19, but the nation only has about 200,000 such machines.
    All the ventilator factories in China have reached their maximum capacity, occupied fully by foreign demand.
    The factories have orders to keep them at full capacity until May.
    Last edited by Ludicus; March 24, 2020 at 02:29 PM.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

Hm is there any other country where the Corona crisis has erupted in political squabbling like this?
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Lol. No you didn't, I don't believe you, and this is just a lie.

etc. etc.

1. It set conditions for the airline industry bailout, that would see them reduce their carbon emissions by a quarter in 2035, and in half by 2050. (Title VII, Section 704)
    2. The bill required a report on corporate board diversity. Not an actual "quota". (Title 2, Section 207)

3. So evil. Subsidies for renewables.
    4. Citation necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludicus View Post
    According to the news, some conservatives have suggested the US went too far in limiting people's movements to protect health at the expense of businesses. And Trump keeps saying " We're going to open up our country".
    Good luck with that...
    -----
    Ask the top 1% to pay the economic crisis. Problem solved.
    ------------------------------
    I have some doubts...
    China's Economy to Return Fast to Potential Growth, PBOC .Bloomberg

--
    Edit,

Trump: Cuomo 'supposed to be buying his own ventilators

Trump doesn't give a about you, American people: Trump Says 50,000 Could Die From Flu. So Far, It's Half That.
    "We have a lot of people dying from the flu on top of everything else"
    ---

China's Factories Work 24/7 to Build Ventilators for Milan, New ...
    I would be a little reluctant to trust anything the China Central Bank says right now. It is holding over 40 TRILLION in unsecured debt.

Here's a little humor that might lighten the mood. I can't get over how much Trump's Treasury sec. reminds me of Jack Benny and it caused me to recall a scene from the Jack Benny Show where Benny is being robbed on the street. It went like this:

Robber: "your money or your life."
    Benny: silence
    Robber: "your money or your life."
    Benny: "I'm thinking about it."

Lol. No you didn't, I don't believe you, and this is just a lie.

1. It set conditions for the airline industry bailout, that would see them reduce their carbon emissions by a quarter in 2035, and in half by 2050. (Title VII, Section 704)
    2. The bill required a report on corporate board diversity. Not an actual "quota". (Title 2, Section 207)

3. So evil. Subsidies for renewables.
    4. Citation necessary.
    I could care less if you believe me. I'm retired and I can spend my time anyway I please.

The Dems in the Senate and House are operating under the delusion that all those folks who have been put out of work, have no way to pay their rent and are bout to be kicked out on the street, have their credit ruined, see their employer shut down his business, and have no money to buy food, are more concerned about climate legislation, social engineering, and open borders than they are about their immediate personal issues.

Keep it up Dems!

I could care less if you believe me. I'm retired and I can spend my time anyway I please.
    Imagine thinking I do. I'm not saying it for you. I'm saying it for anybody who reads your falsehoods and I'll say it again. You're lying.

The Dems in the Senate and House are operating under the delusion that all those folks who have been put out of work, have no way to pay their rent and are bout to be kicked out on the street, have their credit ruined, see their employer shut down his business, and have no money to buy food, are more concerned about climate legislation, social engineering, and open borders than they are about their immediate personal issues.

Keep it up Dems!
    No citations. No proof. No argument. Just a blind partisan hatred and worship of the orange buffoon.

The GOP in the Senate and the House are operating at the will of oligarchs, who use the orange man as an instrument to enrich their masters and themselves. They're attempting to hijack this crisis in order to facilitate and even greater transfer of wealth and assets to the elite. The people voting them in are the ones who will suffer worst. They are being duped to be angry at Democrats, to be angry at scientists, to be angry at news reporters, instead of the very real issues that face this country like climate change, xenophobia, increasing inequality, lack of social services, and ever-increasing costs of living.

Keep it up GOP! Your time in office is limited, better rob as much of a country as you can until your ass is out of the Capitol.

Imagine thinking I do. I'm not saying it for you. I'm saying it for anybody who reads your falsehoods and I'll say it again. You're lying.

No citations. No proof. No argument. Just a blind partisan hatred and worship of the orange buffoon.

The GOP in the Senate and the House are operating at the will of oligarchs, who use the orange man as an instrument to enrich their masters and themselves. They're attempting to hijack this crisis in order to facilitate and even greater transfer of wealth and assets to the elite. The people voting them in are the ones who will suffer worst. They are being duped to be angry at Democrats, to be angry at scientists, to be angry at news reporters, instead of the very real issues that face this country like climate change, xenophobia, increasing inequality, lack of social services, and ever-increasing costs of living.

Keep it up GOP! Your time in office is limited, better rob as much of a country as you can until your ass is out of the Capitol.
    That sounds exactly like the left-wing media's fictional narrative on Trump's views. If you want to really know what Trump is all about you should watch this interview. It actually shows why Trump talks about China the way he does and it also shows that Trump's biggest concern is the American worker. Trump is the enemy of the political class. That's the reason why they have tried to undermine him at every turn.

Bannon's views and Trump's views are exactly the same:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH5QzuzD01A