Thread: Coronavirus outbreak - From China to the World.

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Default Re: Coronavirus outbreak - From China to the World.

Quote Originally Posted by B. W. View Post
    Hopefully this will be the last time I have to say it. I'm not anti-vaccine.
    Really? and yet, you said "covid vaccines saving people from hospitalization...well this is just data manipulation". If vaccines do not prevent hospitalizations, why use them?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thesaurian View Post
    2017-2020 was Trump’s America.
    Half of Americans say Trump won the 2020 U.S. presidential election, and Trumpism is becoming America's new "lost cause".This is the America I'm referring to. Negationist, racist, eager to repeal civil rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post
    Some interesting research from the Carnegie Mellon University and Pittsburgh University showing that PhD holders were the most likely of all education groups to be vaccine hesitant (23.9%).
    Well, Canada is a different world,
    Alberta's COVID-19 vaccination rates tied to levels of formal ...
    In poll after poll of public opinion, people with higher levels of formal education tend to express more willingness — even eagerness — to get vaccinated against COVID-19... areas where more people have a university degree tend to have higher vaccination rates... Conversely, areas where fewer people have a high school diploma tend to have lower vaccination rates
    -----
    In some well-defined contexts,vaccine hesitance is perfectly normal, open to scientific debate. Here, a COVID-19 vaccine is now recommended for most children aged 12 to 15, and some parents are hesitant to get their children vaccinated.

Edit,
    (a recent study showed that the pfizer vaccine was only 46% effective at preventing transmission)
    Pfizer planned to study a variant-targeted inoculation, with trials slated to start as early as next month.
    I tend to think that a practical herd immunity is still possible,avoiding major symptomatic outbreaks of the disease. For example, 93% /95% of a population must be vaccinated to prevent an outbreak of measles, an highly contagious disease.
    Last edited by Ludicus; August 11, 2021 at 03:27 PM.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorBatman999 View Post
    The difference is that the measles vaccine was made in the traditional, proven way to safely foster immunity, and has been in use for decades without significant incident. We know the mRNA-type vaccine is new technology, and that the COVID vaccine is the very first public vaccine to use this technology. Humans have never been tested on this scale with an mRNA vaccine before. Skepticism and hesitancy are only natural, especially when information around it is so muddled.

What do the manufacturers need protection from? If they make a bad vaccine that damages people, they need to be held responsible. Allow the findings of the court to determine whether the suit was grounded or not.
    Not exactly. In fact, the measles vaccine requires much less protection. Yet, any vaccine, given that they will be administered to millions of people, is bound to develop complications in some people, regardless of the safety of the technologies they use. Keep in mind only a few of the current vaccines use the mRNA technology. Yet, given that they are administered to millions of people there have been people with complications that had non-mRNA vaccines.

Now, people love suing. You get a vaccine but you have a heart condition and you die. What does your family do? Sue. Court cases take months, if not years. That's all bad publicity. This meant pharmaceutical companies could actually incur losses. Some companies decided to stop developing vaccines because of this. The government pitched in to increase the standards for suing a vaccine producing company higher.
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by Ludicus View Post
    Half of Americans say Trump won the 2020 U.S. presidential election
    False.

Trumpism is becoming America's new "lost cause".This is the America I'm referring to. Negationist, racist, eager to repeal civil rights.
    The most recent major attempt to repeal civil rights legislation was made by the CA legislature (Democratic super majority) which overwhelmingly failed in its attempts to reverse prop 209.

In terms of civil rights violations w/regard to C19, the most egregious recent example is the impending implementation of a vaccine passport in the Democratic Party governed NYC. The plan excludes unvaccinated persons from every day activities, such as indoor dining or visiting the gym. As of August 2nd >60% of black residents of New York were unvaccinated. More than half of New York's black residents will thus be segregated, by law, from participation in normal life.

Well, Canada is a different world,
    Alberta's COVID-19 vaccination rates tied to levels of formal ...
    I don't see the original study cited in the article. It appears that the polls they are referring to do not account specifically for PhD's, only "post-graduate" education. This would include masters degree holders, the educational group least likely to be vaccine sceptical according to the Carnegie Mellon and Pittsburgh research.
    Last edited by Cope; August 11, 2021 at 07:36 PM.

Stario's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    So Sky news isn't different form any other major news network and the only reason they got censored was because they are conservative and not liberal.

Well interestingly since Sky news Australia came out of its Youtube ban they did a complete 180. They are now advocating in support of even harsher lock-downs and encouraging everyone to participate in the world's biggest science project, and take the experimental covid vaccine as the only way out of lockdowns. They have even been caught deleting their own videos!?
    I wonder what went wrong!? Both Alan Jones & Peta Credlin now have that look in their eyes as if they have been 'SPANKED' by Murdoch into 'Towing-the-line' and conforming to the new status quo. So disappointed to see the last neutral news network in Australia now join the 'Left' side.

...meanwhile, in other news I hear only a few weeks left since legislation preventing landlords from kicking out their tenants for unpaid rent expires here. Boy things will soon get interesting as people get kicked out of their homes and as they run out of money (as some LGAs deemed to be in the "red zones" -people aren't allowed to leave the house even for work unless health workers/authorized workers)...

Just watch the news from Australia boys and girls more strikes/protests to follow in the next few weeks imo...
    Last edited by Stario; August 12, 2021 at 05:22 AM.

Yeah, I'd say Commonwealth nations have the worst governments and have the worst response to COVID and downunder countries like NZ and Australia had the worst response of all Commonwealth nations.
    I can't really blame them if they actually go for revolution of some kind, given how their government is refusing to listen to reason and is basically de-facto a dictatorship.

Citizen

False
    Or not.
    Half of Republicans Believe President Trump Won Election ...

The poll found that more than half of Republicans believe the election was stolen from the president.
    Human rights?
    Trump Administration Civil and Human Rights Rollbacks - The chronology

---
    in terms of civil rights violations w/regard to C19, the most egregious recent example is the impending implementation of a vaccine passport...
    ..and masks and lockdown mandates, I presume.I see your point,

In my opinion,human rights law includes satisfactory guidance to deal with the limitation and derogation of human rights during public health emergencies.Until proof to the contrary, proof-of-vaccination certificates are beneficial to citizens and countries of the world and by no means infringe on human rights.

It appears that the polls they are referring to only.. "post-graduate" education
    Only? that's more than enough.
    I quote,
    Economist Blake Shaffer is the kind of guy who does a multivariate regression analysis in his spare time.He recently took it upon himself to wade through reams of vaccination and census data, looking for patterns among the many social and economic indicators that might help explain why some Albertans have snapped up vaccines — and others haven't."What I found was it's actually education, more so than income, that seems to be driving it," said Shaffer, who works at the University of Calgary.
    Simply put, he said, areas where more people have a university degree tend to have higher vaccination rates.

-------
    Meanwhile in Israel,

----
    Last papers.From Daily Top Articles, Covid Reference.
    Pepe S, Gregory AT, Denniss AR. Myocarditis, Pericarditis and Cardiomyopathy After COVID-19 Vaccination. Heart Lung Circ. 2021 Jul 30:S1443-9506(21)01156-2. PubMed: https://pubmed.gov/34340927. Full text: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hlc.2021.07.011
    Among 2,000,287 individuals receiving at least one dose of vaccine, 20 had vaccine-related myocarditis (1.0/100,000; median age: 36) and 37 had pericarditis (1.8/100,000; median age: 59). Myocarditis occurred a median of 3.5 days after vaccination, pericarditis developed after a median of 20 days. All patients were discharged after a median of 1 to 2 days. No one died
    Beyhond Covid.
    IPCC 20210810. Sixth Assessment Report, Working Group I. The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change 2021, published 9 August. Full text: https://www.ipcc.ch
    Infinitely larger than COVID-19. See also the short Nature comment by Tollefson J. IPCC climate report: Earth is warmer than it’s been in 125,000 years. Nature 2021, published 9 August. Full text: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02179-1
    Last edited by Ludicus; August 12, 2021 at 12:02 PM.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

Prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, rates of clinically significant generalized anxiety and depressive symptoms in large youth cohorts were approximately 11.6%1 and 12.9%,2 respectively. Since COVID-19 was declared an international public health emergency, youth around the world have experienced dramatic disruptions to their everyday lives.3 Youth are enduring pervasive social isolation and missed milestones, along with school closures, quarantine orders, increased family stress, and decreased peer interactions, all potential precipitants of psychological distress and mental health difficulties in youth.4-7

In this meta-analysis of 29 studies including 80 879 youth globally, the pooled prevalence estimates of clinically elevated child and adolescent depression and anxiety were 25.2% and 20.5%, respectively. The prevalence of depression and anxiety symptoms during COVID-19 have doubled, compared with prepandemic estimates, and moderator analyses revealed that prevalence rates were higher when collected later in the pandemic, in older adolescents, and in girls.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2782796
    To the surprise of no one, lockdowns and related disruptions have created a global mental health crisis. The political hacks who adopted these measures, despite medical consensus that they are ineffective at reducing Covid critical cases or mortality, will likely never be held accountable.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

I always like the idea of introducing a law prescribing injecting ruling politicians with poison that causes slow, but agonizing death and then having a vote on whether they should be given antidote or not.

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    Yeah, I'd say Commonwealth nations have the worst governments and have the worst response to COVID and downunder countries like NZ and Australia had the worst response of all Commonwealth nations.
    I can't really blame them if they actually go for revolution of some kind, given how their government is refusing to listen to reason and is basically de-facto a dictatorship.
    Same following many of the EU countries. Having lived in Austria, I follow their news pretty closely, and I must say, that back-and-forth lockdowns (and the fact the country was locked down from the day after Christmas until mid-June) was terrible policy. And then, whenever the people protested, the police were sent in with batons.

The government and their medical advisors have a particular vision for how things should go, but it is obvious that the public has a very different opinion and desires for a return to regular cultural and economic life. The protests were democracy: they were the people expressing how they think of COVID policy. But the Austrian government, as we saw with the police crackdowns, never actually democratized following 1945. As Robert Menasse put it regarding his country's government, "[they have] never learned the true meaning of democracy..."

Quote Originally Posted by Ludicus
    In my opinion,human rights law includes satisfactory guidance to deal with the limitation and derogation of human rights during public health emergencies.Until proof to the contrary, proof-of-vaccination certificates are beneficial to citizens and countries of the world and by no means infringe on human rights.
    No, mandatory vaccine certificates for domestic socio-cultural life are an infringement to human rights because they create a social stratification. There are many people who, for physiological, religious, or moral reasons, cannot get vaccinated: they are effectively excluded from public existence and made into pariahs.

Same following many of the EU countries. Having lived in Austria, I follow their news pretty closely, and I must say, that back-and-forth lockdowns (and the fact the country was locked down from the day after Christmas until mid-June) was terrible policy. And then, whenever the people protested, the police were sent in with batons.

The government and their medical advisors have a particular vision for how things should go, but it is obvious that the public has a very different opinion and desires for a return to regular cultural and economic life. The protests were democracy: they were the people expressing how they think of COVID policy. But the Austrian government, as we saw with the police crackdowns, never actually democratized following 1945. As Robert Menasse put it regarding his country's government, "[they have] never learned the true meaning of democracy..."
    Indeed. Same can be said about France, where they have massive protests against lockdowns and vaccine mandates that are being heavily underreported by "free press" (most of which are owned by same few companies that have some kind of interest in prolonging lockdowns, must be a coincidence).
    No, mandatory vaccine certificates for domestic socio-cultural life are an infringement to human rights because they create a social stratification. There are many people who, for physiological, religious, or moral reasons, cannot get vaccinated: they are effectively excluded from public existence and made into pariahs.
    In the future, conservatives will use this as a precedent to legislate abortions away, will probably use same demographic of middle-aged women driven by emotional propaganda that are currently pushing for lockdowns and vaccine mandates.

B. W.'s Avatar Primicerius

I found this article in the WaPo of all places. Reflecting back, I recall reading some of Phillip Agre's work back in the 90s and back then I dismissed it because I wrongly thought no one would ever do such things. I was wrong.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...cid=uxbndlbing

When I see people here posting about people not being vaccinated are irresponsible and unpatriotic because that's the news narrative, it's indicative of just how much disinformation can be persuasive. Why vaccinate people who've had Covid and have a robust immune system?

And then there's reporting that the surge in infections is do to the unvaccinated, without mentioning that millions of infected illegals are being disseminated across the country. How is it even possible that people don't make the connection?

Hospitals in Texas are swamped because of unvaccinated Americans they tell us. What they've not saying is that all those illegals who are sick are heading for those hospitals. How is that some reporter hasn't done a drive by and taken a look at whose congregating at the emergency rooms?

The IPCC just came out with a report that it is warmer now than in the last 125,000 years and someone posted it here as fact. I guess the IPCC never heard of the Holocene Climate Optimum.

All this is absolute lunacy and yet it is taken as fact.

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

Are you claiming most of the unvaccinated people in Texas hospitals are illegal immigrants?

How many people infected in the US are actually illegal immigrants.

Social media accounts purporting to be a Swiss biologist have reportedly been fabricated by Chinese media to bolster a theory that the US pressured the World Health Organisation to investigate the origin of Covid-19.

Chinese state media quoted a man named Wilson Edwards in several reports this week claiming the “international scientific community” was disappointed in the US for its role in encouraging the WHO to investigate theories Covid-19 was leaked from a Wuhan lab.

The Embassy of Switzerland has since revealed that a person by such a name does not exist, and “more likely that this is a fake news”.

https://www.news.com.au/world/corona...0d84cb40627632
    >Wilson Edwards
    >Swiss

I’ve seen more convincing CCP shills on TWC lolol. Besides, who needs fake online personas when Beijing already has western leftists working overtime to blame the origin question on racism/white supremacy?
    Last edited by Lord Thesaurian; August 13, 2021 at 02:39 PM.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Quote Originally Posted by Vanoi View Post
    Are you claiming most of the unvaccinated people in Texas hospitals are illegal immigrants?
    I wonder where you've been? Illegals have been using emergency rooms here in Texas for their primary care for decades because it's free. Why do you think so many emergency rooms have shut down? They can't afford it. And why do you think the cost of hospital care has gotten so high? Someone has to pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanoi View Post
    How many people infected in the US are actually illegal immigrants.
    Sadly those figures are a closely guarded secret. However, some deductions can be made by simply doing some critical thinking. Reports have come out that anywhere from 20% to 60% of the illegals pouring across the border are covid infected; many seriously ill and a lot of them carry the Lamda variant. They are not being vaccinated and they are being transported to different areas in the states. There have been millions of illegals that have crossed our border since Xiden took office.

Quote Originally Posted by B. W. View Post
    I wonder where you've been? Illegals have been using emergency rooms here in Texas for their primary care for decades because it's free. Why do you think so many emergency rooms have shut down? They can't afford it. And why do you think the cost of hospital care has gotten so high? Someone has to pay for it.
    It’s the other way around: Americans regularly go to Mexico for medical care because it’s state-subsidized, and therefore cheap. Medicine is one of the few things the PRI regime in Mexico has done correctly that has benefited the people. Evidently, the gringos in the border states like Mexican healthcare, too.

It’s the other way around: Americans regularly go to Mexico for medical care because it’s state-subsidized, and therefore cheap. Medicine is one of the few things the PRI regime in Mexico has done correctly that has benefited the people. Evidently, the gringos in the border states like Mexican healthcare, too.
    I see. So you are saying that the illegals in the US go back into Mexico for medical care and then risk crossing back into the US after the doctor visit...

They come and use the US medical system because that’s where they are. The Mexican government doesn’t take well to the Isthmus migrants, and the migrants realize that if they report to a Mexican clinic or hospital, they’re going to be held up from their journey to the US and may get deported. Seeking medical care is therefore far more easy than in Mexico, even if the quality of care is worse.

Citizen

There are many people who, for physiological, religious, or moral reasons, cannot get vaccinated.
    "cannot"? for moral reasons? doesn't make sense. For religious reasons? I am not aware of any religious reasons,no major religions prohibit vaccinations.Even Islam in the US has not opposed vaccination under the principle of necessity.
    For physiological reasons? Anaphylaxis, and that's all.Since the start of vaccinations, a few cases of allergic reactions have been reported.The chances are small (12/1.000.000).COVID-19 Vaccine Reported Allergic Reactions | Allergy

-------

From the news,
    Oregon governor deploys up to 1,500 National Guard troops
    ...to support hospitals in the state as intensive care unit beds fill up... The governor implored residents to get the coronavirus vaccine to help combat the surge in cases. She also urged masks in public areas
    Obviously, we do not have a right to harm others simply because the wearing of a mask is inconvenient.

Australian capital goes into lockdown for a week after one after one COVID case found.
    Australia’s capital and surrounding region will go into a strict lockdown for a week.
    About 36% of the country's 25.4 million population has received at least one dose of a coronavirus vaccine and 19% is fully inoculated, according to Our World in Data.
    When will Ireland come out of lockdown?
    By the end of the month.
    Ireland's journey from pandemic hotspot to vaccine poster child.

Draconian lockdowns and high infection rates have given way to enthusiasm for the jabs... images of teenagers queueing for vaccines outside walk-in centres are quickly becoming as iconic as pictures of Ireland’s deserted streets from earlier days of the pandemic. Close to 40,000 of them have been vaccinated in the past two weekends alone.

-----

What is at stake for the US is the US tribalism,
    How Can We Escape the COVID-19 Vaccine Culture Wars- TIME

...the history of the pandemic is intertwined with the culture war, and from the beginning the response to COVID-19 has broadly split between blue and red, urban and rural.. For all too many Americans, the answer to that question was almost entirely partisan, and the way they answered that partisan question dictated their response to the virus.
    Red Americans disproportionately resisted COVID restrictions, while Blue Americans largely embraced them. Taking their cues from Trump, conservative media elevated COVID skeptics.

The rest is deadly, polarized history. The nation ultimately constructed two, competing Coronavirus political cultures. Travel to a blue city during the height of the pandemic, and the differences were clear. It was unthinkable to go maskless inside a retail establishment, and you would often endure glares and sharp comments even if you unmasked outside.

In a red town—especially a rural red area—the reverse was true. It was almost unthinkable to wear a mask outside, and in some deep red areas, even wearing masks inside was frowned upon.
    anti-masking, COVID denialism directly and immediately contributes to the spread of the disease. In a very real way, right-wing COVID political correctness can cost lives. An unmasked person presented an excessive, unnecessary danger to the people around him.

And the evidence is overwhelming that vaccine hesitancy is just as partisan (if not more) than every other COVID fight since the pandemic began.
    While surveys show that vaccine acceptance is thankfully rising overall, they also show that Republicans are far more hesitant to take the vaccine than Democrats, and heavily-Republican white Evangelicals are more reluctant to take the vaccine than any other religious community.

If you don’t trust polling data, the real-world results now show that vaccine hesitancy is strongly concentrated in red states. According to the most recent data, when measuring states by percentage of adults who’d taken at least one dose of the vaccine, Joe Biden won 18 of the top 25. Trump won all but one of the bottom 17. Change the measurement to percentage of available doses administered, and Biden won 18 of the top 25 states in the nation.

When Trump drew the line in the sand minimizing the virus in the first months of the pandemic, millions of his supporters drew that line right with him—and not as a self-consciously partisan pose but rather as a deeply-held belief and tribal identifier.

Resistance to COVID restrictions became a marker of strength and independence, a sign that “they” cannot tell “us” how to live.
    Their skepticism about vaccines, along with their resistance to masks, and together with their opposition to lockdowns has become a part of who they are.

Partisan tribalism is the primary cause of Republican reluctance, and it’s the reason why white Evangelicals are disproportionately hesitant to take the vaccine.
    white Evangelicals “are Republicans first, white people second, and evangelicals third”.

Thus, so long as vaccine hesitancy remains a partisan issue, religious arguments about the moral necessity of taking the vaccine—for example, to care for our neighbors by making sure we don’t spread the disease—are likely to be ineffective
    ---
    Edit 1, good news.

UNICEF signs first COVID-19 vaccine agreement to supply ...

UNICEF has signed an agreement with Janssen Pharmaceutica NV to supply up to 220 million doses of the J&J single-dose vaccine for all 55 Member States of the African Union (AU) by the end of 2022.
    Some 35 million doses are to be delivered by the end of this year.
    Right now, we are doing our part, giving what we can. Portugal will donate four million vaccines to Portuguese-speaking countries
    Half a million vaccines this month.
    ---
    Edit 2
    Share of people vaccinated against Covid-19. August 13, 2021 - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Vaccinations - Statistics and ...

Top five: Singapore, Qatar, Uruguay, Denmark, Chile, Portugal.

------
    Here, voluntary vaccination for those above 12 years of age has began today. If everything goes well- there is an high adherence to the process- the country will soon be able to have 90% of the population vaccinated. Portugal ready to start vaccinating kids

The vaccines were bought, the logistics were ready and the dates are defined: young people between 12 and 17 years old can have a complete vaccination until September 19”, The general director of Health, Graça Freitas, announced today at a press conference in Lisbon that "the DGS recommends the vaccination of all adolescents from 12 to 15 years of age", without the need for medical advice.
    Graça Freitas explained that the decision comes after analyzing "new data made available in recent days", specifically the impacts recorded on "more than 15 million adolescents vaccinated in the United States and the European Union" that revealed to be "extremely rare" cases of myocarditis and pericarditis.
    Last edited by Ludicus; August 14, 2021 at 09:16 AM.
    Charles Péguy

Thomas Piketty

"cannot"? for moral reasons? doesn't make sense. For religious reasons? I am not aware of any religious reasons,no major religions prohibit vaccinations.Even Islam in the US has not opposed vaccination under the principle of necessity.
    For physiological reasons? Anaphylaxis, and that's all.Since the start of vaccinations, a few cases of allergic reactions have been reported.The chances are small (12/1.000.000).COVID-19 Vaccine Reported Allergic Reactions | Allergy
    I know people who have had severe adverse reactions to vaccines in the past, and their doctors won’t allow them to even get the COVID vaccine. It’s not just a relatively benign case of hives.

Some Catholics believe that getting the vaccine will make them complicit to abortion because some of the vaccines were engineered using the stem cells of aborted fetuses. Those believers would rather take their chances than risk getting denied into heaven. Other religious denominations have strong reservations against any medical modifications to the human body, including vaccines, so this is sinful for them as well.

Another moral reason is not supporting Big Pharma. American pharmaceutical companies are objectively evil and any person with moral standards above chaotic evil should do everything in their power to damage them one way or the other, refusing to alpha-test rushed products for them is a pretty obvious one here.