Thread: Coronavirus outbreak - From China to the World.

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Default Re: Coronavirus outbreak - From China to the World.

Only about 50% US’s population has so far been fully vaccinated, and they can't go beyond that. States ranked by percentage of population fully vaccinated ...

It’s not just an ignorant behavior, it is criminal behavior. CDC: 99.5% of COVID-19 deaths are from unvaccinated
    -------
    Written in 2008, is still quite actual The Triumph of Ignorance – George Monbiot
    How did politics in the US come to be dominated by people who make a virtue out of ignorance?..On one level this is easy to answer. Ignorant politicians are elected by ignorant people.
    Since a long time ago, the US has split into two Americas.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    Especially using a state like Massachussets where vaccination is very widespread with majority population vaccinated with two full doses and overwhelming majority with at least one dose.

It's also fun to see someone confuse expected revenue with profit.
    Even in a liberal state like Massachusetts there is a racial gap in vaccination. https://www.wbur.org/news/2021/07/09...-massachusetts

Massachusetts only has a 8.8% African American population, and that accounts for the high rates of vaccination in MA, since African Americans are one of tge groups with the lowest vaccination rates.

There you have it:

The Armenian Issue

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Massachusetts-Number of people fully vaccinated: 4,410,963
    Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 64%.
    The first is Vermont,number of people fully vaccinated: 421,753
    Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 67.59 %

Post 3341, link provided. There is a clear difference between the democratic and republican states.
    Republican lawmakers push to cast vaccine refusal as a civil ...

----
    ----

Majority of Covid misinformation came from 12 people, report finds...
    The vast majority of Covid-19 anti-vaccine misinformation and conspiracy theories originated from just 12 people, a report by the Center for Countering Digital Hate (CCDH) cited by the White House this week found.
    CCDH, a UK/US non-profit and non-governmental organization, found in March that these 12 online personalities they dubbed the “disinformation dozen” have a combined following of 59 million people across multiple social media platforms, with Facebook having the largest impact. CCDH analyzed 812,000 Facebook posts and tweets and found 65% came from the disinformation dozen. Vivek Murthy, US surgeon general, and Joe Biden focused on misinformation around vaccines this week as a driving force of the virus spreading.
    Biden is right.

I would like to add that a free and independent press is the best vaccine against disinformation. RSF secretary-general Christophe Deloire recently said, "Unfortunately, its production and distribution are too often blocked by political, economic, technological and, sometimes, even cultural factors. In response to the virality of disinformation across borders, on digital platforms and via social media, journalism provides the most effective means of ensuring that public debate is based on a diverse range of established facts".
    Free press, let’s see,
    World Press Freedom Index 2021-ranging from good (white) and fairly good (yellow) to problematic (orange), bad (red) and very bad (black)

Top Five,
    Finland, Sweden, Denmark , Netherlands ,Portugal.
    Btw,the rank of the US is ...44.
    Of course I can be wrong, but I can’t avoid thinking that there is a correlation between a strong social protection in democratic countries, the ethical behavior of the press and press disinformation. Finland is not a capitalist "paradise". In Finland, the government owns nearly one-third of the nation's wealth, and 90 percent of workers are covered by a union contract.In Sweden, as in the other Scandinavian countries, social protection is a right for all citizens and everybody is entitled to the same basic amount when faced with a "risk", such as sickness, work injuries or old-age. SOCIAL AND LABOUR MARKET POLICY IN SWEDEN
    A few months ago, the Portuguese government rejected to buy this... “service”,Politico Tried To Sell "content" To Promote Portuguese EU ...
    ...The role of the Government is not to use State money to brag about the Government or its policies – that doesn’t make sense.
    Here, the media role in fighting misinformation and curbing corruption its quite good.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

Stario's Avatar Domesticus

A report published Friday by the UK government agency Public Health England reveals individuals who received a COVID-19 vaccine are more than three times more likely to die from the Delta variant than unvaccinated people.

"In total, 70 out of the 27,192 vaccinated individuals in the study died, which is a 0.26% mortality rate. Meanwhile, 44 out of the 53,822 unvaccinated people in the paper died, resulting in a 0.08% mortality".

Hmm...the report has some issues, but table 4 is somewhat concerning (hoping turns out not to be true), but seems that more vaccinated people are dying from the Delta strain v unvax...
    Last edited by Stario; August 02, 2021 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stario View Post
    A report published Friday by the UK government agency Public Health England reveals individuals who received a COVID-19 vaccine are more than three times more likely to die from the Delta variant than unvaccinated people.

"In total, 70 out of the 27,192 vaccinated individuals in the study died, which is a 0.26% mortality rate. Meanwhile, 44 out of the 53,822 unvaccinated people in the paper died, resulting in a 0.08% mortality".

Hmm...the study has some issues but table 4 is somewhat concerning (hoping turns out not to be true)...
    Did they control for selection bias? 80-90% of people in the UK have received at least one dose of a Covid vaccine.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thesaurian View Post
    Did they control for selection bias? 80-90% of people in the UK have received at least one dose of a Covid vaccine.
    As much a Pfizer did control for selection bias when they published their own study and their own results...but ye nah! As I am a man of science I don't believe in studies that are NOT 'peer-reviewed randomised longitudinal double-blind placebo-controlled studies'...

B. W.'s Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post
    It's self-defeating to accuse the liberal press of scapegoating vaccine sceptics only to then use an article from the liberal press (copied verbatim by michaelsavage.com) as evidence that outbreaks can occur among the vaccinated.
    Nice try, but no cigar. Even left-wing media tells the truth occasionally. It's their claim to legitimacy and this report was about a CDC report that had been held back.

In case you haven't noticed I occasionally use left-wing sources. In fact, I read left-wing news everyday. Unlike the left I try to get both sides and then evaluate.

You may have noticed that I link to AT frequently. That doesn't mean I agree with everything they publish; quite the contrary actually. They've published a number of anti-mask stories and I've disagreed with all of them (I even wrote to them explaining the errors in their stories).

In this case I was pointing out the ineffectiveness of the vaccines. Unless your sole source of info on this is the TWC Center it is utter foolishness to engage in denial of facts which can be proven from a variety of sources (all acclaimed by the left).

Quote Originally Posted by Ludicus View Post
    You said the exact opposite a few months ago.For example you said that masks don't let you breathe well through the nose, that they force you to breathe through the mouth, and that they alter the oxygen concentration in the blood.
    What I said re: (masks) still stands. And since the diameter of the 2019-nCoV particles varies from about 60 to 140 nm I.E. as small as 0.06 microns all the way to 0.14 microns- the types of masks worn by 99% of the population are ineffective -FALSE SECURITY.
    But I am willing to let that one go not a big deal when it comes to wearing masks. I am more concerned about the lockdowns and the army (at least here), now also enforcing such lockdowns -our freedoms to work + freedom of movement; & democracy being eroded away...
    Last edited by Stario; August 02, 2021 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by B. W. View Post
    Nice try, but no cigar. Even left-wing media tells the truth occasionally. It's their claim to legitimacy and this report was about a CDC report that had been held back.

In case you haven't noticed I occasionally use left-wing sources. In fact, I read left-wing news everyday. Unlike the left I try to get both sides and then evaluate.

You may have noticed that I link to AT frequently. That doesn't mean I agree with everything they publish; quite the contrary actually. They've published a number of anti-mask stories and I've disagreed with all of them (I even wrote to them explaining the errors in their stories).

In this case I was pointing out the ineffectiveness of the vaccines. Unless your sole source of info on this is the TWC Center it is utter foolishness to engage in denial of facts which can be proven from a variety of sources (all acclaimed by the left).
    As above, it is self-defeating to introduce an instance of the "left-wing media" telling "the truth" when attempting to characterize it as dishonest. My guess is that it went unnoticed that the story had been borrowed from CNBC.

That said, the Massachusetts story does not illustrate the "ineffectiveness" of the vaccines. No medical authority has ever claimed that the vaccines provide perfect protection against infection, only that they reduce the probability of infection, hospitalization and death.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludicus View Post
    Massachusetts-Number of people fully vaccinated: 4,410,963
    Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 64%.
    The first is Vermont,number of people fully vaccinated: 421,753
    Percentage of population fully vaccinated: 67.59 %

Post 3341, link provided. There is a clear difference between the democratic and republican states.
    Republican lawmakers push to cast vaccine refusal as a civil ...

----
    ----

Majority of Covid misinformation came from 12 people, report finds...

Biden is right.

I would like to add that a free and independent press is the best vaccine against disinformation. RSF secretary-general Christophe Deloire recently said, "Unfortunately, its production and distribution are too often blocked by political, economic, technological and, sometimes, even cultural factors. In response to the virality of disinformation across borders, on digital platforms and via social media, journalism provides the most effective means of ensuring that public debate is based on a diverse range of established facts".
    Free press, let’s see,
    World Press Freedom Index 2021-ranging from good (white) and fairly good (yellow) to problematic (orange), bad (red) and very bad (black)

Top Five,
    Finland, Sweden, Denmark , Netherlands ,Portugal.
    Btw,the rank of the US is ...44.
    Of course I can be wrong, but I can’t avoid thinking that there is a correlation between a strong social protection in democratic countries, the ethical behavior of the press and press disinformation. Finland is not a capitalist "paradise". In Finland, the government owns nearly one-third of the nation's wealth, and 90 percent of workers are covered by a union contract.In Sweden, as in the other Scandinavian countries, social protection is a right for all citizens and everybody is entitled to the same basic amount when faced with a "risk", such as sickness, work injuries or old-age. SOCIAL AND LABOUR MARKET POLICY IN SWEDEN
    A few months ago, the Portuguese government rejected to buy this... “service”,Politico Tried To Sell "content" To Promote Portuguese EU ...

Here, the media role in fighting misinformation and curbing corruption its quite good.

Massachusetts and Vermont are two fairly white states, with a relatively low African American population, and African American have a low level of vaccination.

Also, Massachusetts has the 3rd highest death rate of all US states , much higher than most other states https://www.statista.com/statistics/...s-us-by-state/

Also, out of the top 13 states for COVID deaths per 100,000, the majority had Democratic governors, 8 out 13, including the top 2 states with the highest death rates, New York and New Jersey.

Oh, by the way, both Massachusetts and Vermont had Republican governors.
    Last edited by Common Soldier; August 02, 2021 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post
    As above, it is self-defeating to introduce an instance of the "left-wing media" telling "the truth" when attempting to characterize it as dishonest. My guess is that it went unnoticed that the story had been borrowed from CNBC.

That said, the Massachusetts story does not illustrate the "ineffectiveness" of the vaccines. No medical authority has ever claimed that the vaccines provide perfect protection against infection, only that they reduce the probability of infection, hospitalization and death.
    Your argument is ridiculous. When both the left and right are reporting the same story in the same manner it doesn't matter which you choose to cite:

https://www.fox8live.com/2021/07/28/...aracteristics/

This doesn't alter the fact that there are clear differences between the two.

Praeses

So Youtube has given Murdoch's Sky News Infotainment network a weeks ban for giving airtime to lies about COVID.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-...tion/100341386

I have to say Murdoch has covered himself in shame here, bloody disgrace that a foreigner (US citizen) is undermining Australian public health.

I know that as a journalist he has a vocation for spewing lies, but this is something else. This US style "oh we didn't publish it, it was an oPiNiOn pIeCe" freedom of speech clutching crap is a cancer. Its hard to report facts, much easier to pump out nonsense and drown the debate in fat necked liars.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Quote Originally Posted by B. W. View Post
    Your argument is ridiculous. When both the left and right are reporting the same story in the same manner it doesn't matter which you choose to cite:

https://www.fox8live.com/2021/07/28/...aracteristics/

This doesn't alter the fact that there are clear differences between the two.
    I'm not complaining about the contents of story, only the oddity of a liberal piece being cited as evidence of alleged liberal dishonesty. The more important point - as explained above - is that the story does not justify the deduction that the vaccines are "ineffective".

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    So Youtube has given Murdoch's Sky News Infotainment network a weeks ban for giving airtime to lies about COVID.

I have to say Murdoch has covered himself in shame here, bloody disgrace that a foreigner (US citizen) is undermining Australian public health.

I know that as a journalist he has a vocation for spewing lies, but this is something else. This US style "oh we didn't publish it, it was an oPiNiOn pIeCe" freedom of speech clutching crap is a cancer. Its hard to report facts, much easier to pump out nonsense and drown the debate in fat necked liars.
    Celebrating corporate censorship seems ill-advised when major social media platforms have already been exposed (repeatedly) for using alleged "misinformation" as a pretext for suppressing credible information, including on C19. In any case, Australia's alarming descent into a militarized police state should be viewed as more concerning than big tech's treatment of Sky News Australia.
    Last edited by Cope; August 02, 2021 at 06:17 PM.

And, once again, it's always a good idea to get both sides of a story:

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog...vermectin.html

Yeah, let's just let Bug tech oligopoly determine what can be said online, its not like megacorporations could have an interest in purging Internet of information that could hurt their interests or anything.

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

Simping for Murdoch now? I thought you were against The Globalist Elites™.
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

Quote Originally Posted by Stario View Post
    Hmm...the report has some issues, but table 4 is somewhat concerning (hoping turns out not to be true), but seems that more vaccinated people are dying from the Delta strain v unvax...
    Another case of misleading through use of statistics. The number 70, which is not just people with two dozes but also includes people with single dozes, mostly represent deaths with people over the age of 50. Only 2 deaths are attributed to people under 50 while those two people haven't got their second dozes. Most importantly, however, in UK, over 80% of people over the age of 50 have already been vaccinated. That leaves few unvaccinated 50+ people to observe in a data set. 50+ people in UK were the first priority group. They've been largely vaccinated since April. The result merely reflect how so many people have already been vaccinated in UK.
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    Another case of misleading through use of statistics. The number 70, which is not just people with two dozes but also includes people with single dozes, mostly represent deaths with people over the age of 50. Only 2 deaths are attributed to people under 50 while those two people haven't got their second dozes. Most importantly, however, in UK, over 80% of people over the age of 50 have already been vaccinated. That leaves few unvaccinated 50+ people to observe in a data set. 50+ people in UK were the first priority group. They've been largely vaccinated since April. The result merely reflect how so many people have already been vaccinated in UK.
    Even if you look at two doses (50 deaths), it's is still more people dying as opposed to unvaccinated deaths I.E. 50 death (received two doses) v 44 unvaccinated.

That leaves few unvaccinated 50+ people to observe in a data set
    This is irrelevant because they had two groups, and the unvaccinated group actually outnumbered the vaccinated group I.E. 53,822 (unvaccinated people) v 27,192 (vaccinated individuals). Yet despite outnumbering (by almost double), they (the unvaccinated group); still had less overall death.
    So no matter how you want to 'spin-it' the fact is the unvaccinated group (although outnumbering by almost double the unvaccinated group), still had fewer deaths. While you'd expect exactly the opposite, that is if the vaccine was truly effective it wouldn't even be close in terms of deaths.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    Yeah, let's just let Bug tech oligopoly determine what can be said online, its not like megacorporations could have an interest in purging Internet of information that could hurt their interests or anything.
    This is actually scary and shows huge BIAS. And only proves that big tech companies I.E. FB, Youtube, etc. need to be regulated as they are impeding informed consent by filtering out information which they deem truth which is of course not necessarily the truth (or at the extreme spectrum -which I don't agree with, I think there must be a middle ground- as the CCP done outright ban FB; youtube, etc.)

I actually looked up the statistics Alan Jones quoted on Sky News Australia a few days ago I.E. He quoted 400,000 communicable infections in Australia in 2015-16 resulting in nearly 7,000 deaths in 2015 (much more than our 20 or so covid deaths in 2021 and roughly 3500 infections).
    And these figures were correct as per the Australian Government Health Department website. And this is just one example where I fact-checked what Sky news was reporting and I can say they are doing a much better job than the rest of NSW news channels that are all leaning with the 'leftist' propaganda.

Then there is also the famous photo of the bloke punching the horse during Sydney's 'freedom' protest; it's all over Australian Facebook etc... Only Sky News Australia reported (and showed the whole footage); the bloke was actually pushing the horse away from him as to not get trampled (when the Police rushed their horses into the protestors), and not punching the horse at all (and the footage provided by sky news australia proved this)...

So I don't think they (Sky news) are spreading misinformation at all; again I think they are just about the only neutral news reporting outlet we have in Australia. The other stations here in Australia (NSW), are just about all pushing the leftist propaganda...Sky News Australia on the other hand have done a great job at showing neutrality & reporting the facts imo.
    Last edited by Stario; August 03, 2021 at 05:13 AM.

antaeus's Avatar Cool and normal

FYI for the thread...

Stario is referencing the Sky News TV network in Australia, which is a Murdoch owned Australian-centric news channel. Alan Jones is a former sports coach-turned-media-shock-personality who recently had a regular newspaper column very publicly dropped by the Daily Telegraph. He's also had Youtube on his back over some of his Sky News appearances.

So consider this an extension of Murdoch's global war on anything that doesn't further his profits, and it is an almost facsimile of the Fox vs anyone who threatens Murdoch's pockets battle in the US...

Much like Fox in the US, Sky News do accurate reporting, but their editorial content has a similar reputation to that of Fox. If you've drunk the cool aid, it's truth telling. If you haven't, it's toxic stuff.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MARENOSTRUM