Thread: Coronavirus outbreak - From China to the World.

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Coronavirus outbreak - From China to the World.

Whelp...Someone I know who has been fanatically against any kind of COVID prevention for more than a year, while saying the virus was not a big deal because no one she knows has it, while ALSO saying China needs to pay, while ALSO saying the virus was cooked up by libruls to unseat Trump, etc...

Yeah her family caught the virus. She's terrified she is next. And she's asking for everyone to send their thoughts and prayers. She has also deleted all the things she has posted about vaccines/virus etc going back at least six months.

May she receive just as much sympathy and compassion as she has shown others throughout the pandemic.

Edit: Also just remembered that she once said "Some people will just have to die"
    Last edited by TheDarkKnight; July 25, 2021 at 04:19 PM.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by B. W. View Post
    When an article starts by telling a big fat lie then it is not worth reading. There haven't been any RCTs concerning the use of Ivermectin against Crona...and there won't be.

As far as I'm aware there haven't been any claims of a RCT trial. If you had taken the time to view the video by James Campbell, a PHD who is a vaccine proponent, he goes into great detail about those studies and concludes just the opposite of what you are stating.

You have an obvious choice. You can listen to all the bot heads on the networks who are pushing the agenda of big pharm/big gov. or you can listen to the prestigious medical professionals, both on the left and right, who have made it a point of personal integrity to tell the truth about what is happening. There are lots of them, but you won't see them on the networks.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/doctor...ce=twitter.com

Another bastion of science gets caught behaving in the interest of politics instead of truth:

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog...o_decline.html
    Tell me honestly did you read the first study he brings up out of Mexico. Yes/No. It publicly available. The error bars as said make their percentage number beyond useless. P value what is this p value thing you speak off because it ain't there.

What is the big fat lie?
    Last edited by conon394; July 25, 2021 at 04:28 PM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

May she receive just as much sympathy and compassion as she has shown others throughout the pandemic.

My favorite part about Beijing virus pandemic is how compassionate and progressive liberals wish death to people for disagreeing with them.

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post

My favorite part about Beijing virus pandemic is how compassionate and progressive liberals wish death to people for disagreeing with them.
    I take it you believe I am implying that she has been not compassionate at all for the worldwide suffering because it did not affect them, yes?

And if that's the case...Would it be more prudent if someone repeated their talking points back at them to remind them of how they felt before it affected them personally?

I mean, if she feels that some people will just have to die, I guess she shouldn't care at all if that belief extends to the people in her own life, right?
    Last edited by TheDarkKnight; July 25, 2021 at 07:40 PM.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post

The difference between the liberal and the sceptic is not a matter of reason or intellect; it is the willingness to submit to institutional authority. The sense of self-satisfaction at the victim's plight is even less warranted than it might otherwise be.

antaeus's Avatar Cool and normal

Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post
    The difference between the liberal and the sceptic is not a matter of reason or intellect; it is the willingness to submit to institutional authority. The sense of self-satisfaction at the victim's plight is even less warranted than it might otherwise be.
    I'm not sure that smugness as a response to a Covid-sceptic getting sick is wholly representative of a liberal or progressive viewpoint. I have seen the full spectrum of emotional responses to these situations amongst those whom would profess to be liberal: from empathy and sympathy to expressions of derision. It is however a particularly understandable response from anyone who sees another person succumb to something that is preventable by their own actions to say "You brought this upon yourself".

What's interesting tho, is the discussion about succumbing to institutional authority. I tend to see the institutional authority around me succumbing to the demands of the populace (or more cynically, the will of those who own the media that shouts at politicians). I also saw in my neck of the woods last year that it was the populace who went into lockdown first, and only after it was demanded, did the institutional authority of the day formalise the situation. It has often led to the institutional authority flipping and flopping like a car yard tube man as they listen and act in turn in the best interests of the most recent loud voice - undermining the very legitimacy that they seek to claim by reacting to the flippant desires of whoever shouts loudest.
    Last edited by antaeus; July 25, 2021 at 10:31 PM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MARENOSTRUM

B. W.'s Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Tell me honestly did you read the first study he brings up out of Mexico. Yes/No. It publicly available. The error bars as said make their percentage number beyond useless. P value what is this p value thing you speak off because it ain't there.

What is the big fat lie?
    This is the study that Campbell analyzed. It's pretty compelling:

https://journals.lww.com/americanthe...ing_the.4.aspx

Lets all take a moment to realize the fact that ivermectin is a red herring B.W. produced. His actual claim was that the public has no access to such drugs.
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight View Post
    Whelp...Someone I know who has been fanatically against any kind of COVID prevention for more than a year, while saying the virus was not a big deal because no one she knows has it, while ALSO saying China needs to pay, while ALSO saying the virus was cooked up by libruls to unseat Trump, etc...

Yeah her family caught the virus. She's terrified she is next. And she's asking for everyone to send their thoughts and prayers. She has also deleted all the things she has posted about vaccines/virus etc going back at least six months.

Edit: Also just remembered that she once said "Some people will just have to die"
    If her experience is anything like an anti-vaxer I know who also got covid, her fellow conspiracist have abandoned and now deride her as a deep state shill.

This may be just the thing she needs to break out of the right-wing disinformation bubble. Maybe she can be convinced that since she was lied to about covid, maybe she was lied to about Biden being a Chinese agent who eats babies for breakfast?

Quote Originally Posted by antaeus View Post
    I'm not sure that smugness as a response to a Covid-sceptic getting sick is wholly representative of a liberal or progressive viewpoint.
    True, but the intention was not to suggest that all liberals feel a misplaced sense of schadenfreude.

I have seen the full spectrum of emotional responses to these situations amongst those whom would profess to be liberal: from empathy and sympathy to expressions of derision. It is however a particularly understandable response from anyone who sees another person succumb to something that is preventable by their own actions to say "You brought this upon yourself".
    Victim blaming isn't "particularly understandable". When institutional authorities lie and mislead with such frequency it shouldn't come as a surprise that they're distrusted. There's only so many times one can cry wolf.

The self-righteousness on display comes from a place of cultural and class animus. The resentment is directed at a specific type of person (white, Christian, conservative, boomer) despite the prevalence of vaccine hesitancy across a variety of other groups, esp. African Americans. It's actually difficult to understate the extent of liberal prejudice in this regard; the treatment of particular groups as caricatures is alarmingly common.

What's interesting tho, is the discussion about succumbing to institutional authority. I tend to see the institutional authority around me succumbing to the demands of the populace (or more cynically, the will of those who own the media that shouts at politicians). I also saw in my neck of the woods last year that it was the populace who went into lockdown first, and only after it was demanded, did the institutional authority of the day formalise the situation. It has often led to the institutional authority flipping and flopping like a car yard tube man as they listen and act in turn in the best interests of the most recent loud voice - undermining the very legitimacy that they seek to claim by reacting to the flippant desires of whoever shouts loudest.
    Setting aside the fact that corporate media is a form of institutional authority, attitudes vary according to country.

I'm pretty sure that its "then whole restaurant clapped" situation with that anecdotal example tailored specifically to attack conservatives, but I'm still pretty amused at how most "peace and love" people tend to be the most hateful ones, especially when it comes to people that disagree with them.

B. W.'s Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight View Post

John Wayne said it best:

"Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid."

Going around and acting as if nothing is wrong in your world in the middle of a Pandemic is not a sign of brilliance...nor is taking an experimental vaccine without researching it.

Common sense would be to at least do the minimum to protect yourself: take vit D3, zinc, social distance, wear a I95 mask or a triple layered cloth mask comprised of densely woven cloth when indoor public places, and wash your hands frequently.

The whole reaction to the pandemic has been an utter failure on both sides of the political spectrum. Lockdowns, closing of businesses such as restaurants were all totally unnecessary. The proper response would have been to lower occupancy, upgrade AC systems to have more fresh air makeup and HEPA filters. With all the money that has been spent this could have been done with low interest loans and the public would have been safer and more prepared in the long run without the economic devastation. I could go on, but you should be able to get the idea.

These mRNA vaccines were a bad idea. They never should have been pushed on to the public and now we're finding out that they are ineffective.

There is a proper vaccine undergoing trials right now that might be available in late August or September that will be FDA approved. I would recommend anyone considering vaccination to wait until then and in the meantime take precautions.

Common sense would dictate people not to give credit to people who are passing demonstrably false judgment on medicine about a virus they themselves thought was no big deal.
    The Armenian Issue

The self-righteousness on display comes from a place of cultural and class animus. The resentment is directed at a specific type of person (white, Christian, conservative, boomer) despite the prevalence of vaccine hesitancy across a variety of other groups, esp. African Americans.
    Re 'vaccine hesitancy":

NYC % Biden vote by borough:
    Bronx: Biden 83.44%
    Brooklyn: Biden 76.97%
    Manhattan: 86.74%
    Queens: Biden 72.19%
    Staten Island: Biden 42.07%
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_U...on_in_New_York

Yet over 40% (41.1) of NYC is unvaccinated:
    https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/covid/...es.page#people

I wonder how much of this has to do with being repeatedly lied to...
    Last edited by Infidel144; July 26, 2021 at 06:49 PM.

Here is the breakdown by race, based on data from 40 states:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Cope; July 26, 2021 at 07:10 PM.

So, the majority of whites, hispanics and blacks are far right, conservative Trump supporters...

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel144 View Post
    So, the majority of whites, hispanics and blacks are far right, conservative Trump supporters...
    Systemic Asian privilege ftw
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

antaeus's Avatar Cool and normal

I'd say without looking into it, that the data there probably aligns with other metrics like income levels, education, health care coverage etc etc etc at least at a guess. Maybe Cope can pull up that data for us so we can have a more complete picture before we discuss the "why" part.

I only wish enough people were vaccinated in my country so that we could have these conversations. Instead it seems that those who are least likely to get vaccinated are either hyper-privileged or under-privileged. And nobody who wants to get vaccinated can, because the Euros stole all our vaccines, then once they started to trickle in, the self righteous thought that there was no urgency because lockdowns work. They obviously hadn't been reading their Lord Thesaurian.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MARENOSTRUM

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel144 View Post
    I'm old enough to remember when (after some years of praise and 'why couldn't McCain be president instead of Bush', and 'I would have voted for MCain in 2000 etc.), McCain became the most far-right, warmongering/sexist/racist candidate ever. This again changed after he lost the 2008 election. It was amusing for me in those forums to pull up the quotes and link to them in the threads (unlike here we could do that) pointing out the inconsistency and hypocrisy that leftists display...
    Plenty of posts on this site (even ITT) denying COVID was more than a flu. Plenty of wannabe simpbots still spewing garbage. Plenty of brainlets claiming Trump was a genius. Plenty of Clinton apologists pretending she won and somehow would have handled it waaaay better. US politics is a mess.

Weird as it sounds the probably senile, definitely stale hack servant of the elite Biden seems to be keeping a steadier ship than Trump, and doing less to muck up the coronavirus response. Not that either of them have that much capacity to alter the course of events, but Trump sure did his level best to make things worse with idiot red herrings and super-spreader events.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Across The South, COVID-19 Vaccine Sites Missing From Black And Hispanic Neighborhoods
    Using data from several states that have published their own maps and lists of where vaccination sites are located, NPR identified disparities in the locations of vaccination sites in major cities across the Southern U.S. — with most sites placed in whiter neighborhoods.

NPR found this disparity by looking at Census Bureau statistics of non-Hispanic white residents and mapping where the vaccine sites were. NPR identified counties where vaccine sites tended to be in census tracts — roughly equivalent to neighborhoods — that had a higher percentage of white residents, compared with the census-tract average in that county. Reporters attempted to confirm the findings with health officials in nine counties across six states where the differences were most dramatic: Travis and Bastrop counties, Texas; East Baton Rouge Parish, La.; Hinds County, Miss.; Mobile County, Ala.; Chatham County, Ga.; DeKalb County, Ga.; Fulton County, Ga.; and Richland County, South Carolina.

The reasons are both unique to each place and common across the region: The health care locations that are logical places to distribute a vaccine tend to be located in the more affluent and whiter parts of town where medical infrastructure already exists. That presents a challenge for public health officials who are relying on what's already in place to mount a quick vaccination campaign.
    It's fun to make fun of minorities but its quite easy to use Google as well...
    Last edited by PointOfViewGun; July 27, 2021 at 07:32 AM.
    The Armenian Issue