Thread: Coronavirus outbreak - From China to the World.

Praeses

Default Re: Coronavirus outbreak - From China to the World.

Obviously Japan and the Netherlands have their own demographic quirks (my bro who worked in the Hague told me you can walk almost everywhere the joint is very well laid out), but the feeling here in Australia is masks are effective in reducing transmission where close contacts are forced ie during return to work.

Melbourne has transport bottlenecks due to a centralised activity hub (a big CBD), and there's a (fairly good) public transport net that gets around 20% of workers (had to Google that one, thought it was higher) of people from the dormitory suburbs to the CBD (as well as children to the schools etc etc).

In that context moderately hard lock downs bring down the transmission below 1, we've done that twice now but the economic damage is huge. In the transition back to work the use of masks is the maybe the biggest and defiitely a major element in transmission limitation to returning workers and school children to the system. We have loads of private cars and there's been a spike in bike sales but we have a critical mass of potential spreaders on trams and trains and buses daily, often via some massive hubs. I think Japan is similar in this.

You're right there's a big section of the public not using masks correctly (my impression is about 20% of the shoppers I see are protecting their chins only lol): they might as well not bother. However the people that do use them correctly help. Its weird but the ones with the masks on their chins also seem to be the ones handling every orange (and not buying any) , loitering in doorways (GTFO!) and popping outside for a maskless smoke (not sure where to begin with that one, I guess getting COVID is slightly better than your face catching fire?).

I think the overblown response to face masks in the media is some trolls in the US are working an anti-muslim angle into conspiracy theories about masking. This is helped by official messaging about masks changing as information about the virus accumulates, and the unfortunate decision to "de-emphasise" the importance of maks in ther early days so the public would not panic buy all sticks and deplete reserves available to medical professionals.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Anderson Cooper to MyPillow CEO: 'You really are like a snake oil salesman'

CNN’s Anderson Cooper on Tuesday slammed MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell, an ardent President Trump supporter, for pushing an unproven therapeutic treatment for coronavirus, sales of which could benefit him.

“You really are a snake oil salesman. I mean, you could be in the Old West standing on a box telling people to drink your amazing elixir that there's no proof [of],” Cooper told Lindell in an interview.

Lindell is pushing oleandrin as a potential therapeutic for COVID-19. Last week, he was added to the board of Phoenix Biotechnology, which makes oleandrin, receiving a financial stake in the company, CNN reported.

Lindell confirmed to CNN Monday that Trump participated in a July meeting at the White House regarding the use of oleandrin, an extract from the plant Nerium oleander, as a potential coronavirus treatment.
    Don't listen to the liberal media with their "facts" and "toxicology". Oleander is a miracle cure.*

*No seriously don't go out and chew on oleander leaves. You'll probably die.

Stario's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Coughdrop addict View Post
    Anderson Cooper to MyPillow CEO: 'You really are like a snake oil salesman'

Don't listen to the liberal media with their "facts" and "toxicology". Oleander is a miracle cure.*

*No seriously don't go out and chew on oleander leaves. You'll probably die.
    The problem is the 'Vaxxers' crowd will listen/agree to anything...remember the wonder drug 'Thalidomide' (and there a many other examples of so called 'wonder drugs').

"Once the herd accepts mandatory vaccinations, it’s game over. They will accept anything – forcible blood or organ donation – ‘for the greater good’. We can genetically modify children and sterilize them —- ‘for the greater good’. Control sheep minds and you control the herd. And many of you in this room are investors. It’s a big win-win. We thin out the herd and the herd pays us for extermination services….’”
    Last edited by Stario; August 19, 2020 at 09:04 AM.

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Muizer View Post
    I'm no virologist, but this study was one of many cited by the norwegian study that ended up concluding that wearing of face masks was not recommended for the general public.
    It's not a study, it is an opinion article.They (?) say that "Relevant ongoing reviews and studies were searched". Are they cited?
    I quote, from your article,
    ..studies indicate a larger effect when face masks are used by asymptomatic but contagious individuals to prevent the spread of virus to others,
    Asymptomatic and symptomatic. It's painfully obvious. How do you know who is an "asymptomatic not contagious"? doesn't make sense.

In the conclusion, they say,
    In the current epidemiological situation in Norway, wearing face masks to reduce the spread of COVID-19 is not recommended for individuals in the community without respiratory symptoms who are not in near contact with people who are known to be infected.
    How do you know who is infected?

why the overblown emphasis on face masks in politics and media?
    Let's keep politics out of the equation. There is now an almost universal scientific consensus.

In the mean time we know social distancing is key.
    In the meantime we know that social distancing is not enough, in open and closed crowded spaces, there are abundant examples.
    -----
    Even 2 meters might not be sufficient and "safe" would depend on multiple factors related to both the individual and the environment. These include viral load, duration of exposure, number of individuals present, indoor versus outdoor settings, level of ventilation, and whether face coverings are worn. (Qureshi 2020).

You'd have to come up with countries with the same response time and the same measures except a difference in face mask policy to prove anything.
    Not at all, since a long time ago they know that a face mask policy is crucial in crowded spaces.Viruses are released during exhalation, talking, and coughing in micro-droplets small enough to remain aloft in the air and pose a risk of exposure at distances beyond 1 to 2 m from an infected individual.
    ------

Covid Reference
    Fourth Edition, PDF, 320 pages
    July 13 update: Transmission
    August 11 update: Prevention

Face masks

The use of face masks to reduce the risk of infection is an established medical procedure. It is therefore surprising that it has created such a controversy in the context of COVID-19. The initial recommendation by WHO and other health authorities that masks should only be used by health workers and symptomatic patients resulted in widespread confusion in the public, exacerbated by the images of people in Asia wearing masks in all settings. In addition, different types of masks perform different functions in different settings, greatly complicating communication efforts.
    Face masks prevent transmission of respiratory viruses in two ways:

1. When worn by healthy individuals they are protecting them from infection by reducing the exposure of the mouth and nose to viral particles present in the air or on contaminated hands;
    2. When worn by an infected person they perform source control, by reducing the amount of virus dispersed in the environment while coughing, sneezing or talking. Singing is probably out of bounds with no mask.

Different types of masks perform these tasks differently, which also dictates the situations in which they should be used. Type of masks currently used include:

• N95 (or FFP2) masks, designed to block 95% of very small particles. They reduce the wearer’s exposure to particles including aerosols and large droplets. They also reduce the patient or other bystanders’ exposure to particles emitted by the wearer (unless they are equipped with a one-way valve to facilitate breathing).
    • Surgical masks only filter large particles and, being loose fitted, will reduce only marginally the exposure of the wearer to droplets and aerosols. They do, however, limit considerably the emission of saliva or droplets by the wearer, reducing the risk of infecting other people.

• Cloth masks will stop droplets that are released when the wearer talks, sneezes, or coughs. Ideally, they should include multi-layers of fabric. When surgical or N95 masks are not available, cloth masks can still reduce the risk of transmission in public places.

If masks are protective, why were they not widely recommended at the beginning of the epidemic? Whether due to poor communication, fear of shortage of essential medical supplies or under-appreciation of the role of asymptomatic carriers in spreading the virus, the resulting controversy was not helpful in combating the pandemic and greatly undermined the credibility of public health authorities.

It was only on 5 June, months into the pandemic, that WHO released updated guidance on the use of masks, recognizing the role that face masks can play in reducing transmission from asymptomatic carriers in particular settings. This was a few days after the publication of a comprehensive review and meta-analysis of observational studies showing a large reduction in risk of infection with all types of masks (Chu 2020).

Surgical masks were shown to work even in a hamster model (Chan JF 2020). Other authors, based on reviews or modelling, recommend wearing suitable masks whenever an infected person may be nearby (Meselson 2020, Prather 2020, Zhang 2020). (See also the discussion on droplets and aerosols, page xxx.)

Meanwhile the controversy continues, including on the potential negative effects of wearing masks on health, for example on cardiopulmonary capacity (Fikenzer 2020). (1)

Regardless of the controversy and the mounting “No-Mask” movements, face masks are “here to stay”. The sight of people wearing face masks in public, which in the past surprised and amused Western travelers to Asian countries, will be a common sight worldwide for months and maybe years to come.

More,
    Recognizing that SARS-CoV-2 is transmitted via aerosol has even more far-reaching consequences – personal, societal and economic – in situations of community COVID-19 outbreaks. At the personal level (reminder 20% of infected individuals are thought to transmit 80% of SARS-CoV-2 cases, so minimizing the probability of coming close to such super-spreader individuals is imperative), people might wish to avoid prolonged meetings with people from outside their inner-core “friends-and-family-bubble”; inside the bubble, meetings should be restricted to a handful of people. For everyday life, the following five rules of thumb are helpful:

1. Wear face masks in public spaces
    2. Keep a distance of 2 (two!) meters to other people.
    3. Avoid crowded places (more than 5-10 people).
    4. Avoid in particular crowded and closed spaces (even worse: air-conditioned closed places where air is being moved around).
    5. Avoid in any circumstances crowded, closed and noisy spaces where people must shout to communicate. These are SARS-CoV-2’s preferred playgrounds.
    --------

Asadi S, Gaaloul ben Hnia N, Barre RS, et al. Influenza A virus is transmissible via aerosolized fomites. Nat Commun 11, 4062 (2020). Full-text: https://doi.org/10.1038/s41467-020-17888-w
    Will we soon see a paper about SARS-CoV-2 transmission via aerosolized fomites?
    ----
    (1)
    Doctor wears mask on 35K run to silence anti-mask protesters ...
    While simply running in a mask is enough to confirm that the face covering doesn’t inhibit one’s breathing, Lawton decided to take it a step further and monitor his oxygen levels throughout the entire 35K outing. He told CTV that he carried a pulse oximeter, which measured his levels, while he ran to work. Lawton noted that a “normal” oxygen level is anything at 95 per cent or higher, and he said his levels never dipped below this bar at any point during his run.
    My colleague is right.

Edit. When I have time, I play tennis (singles only) on an outdoor court. Currently, I stopped playing indoors, and we do not change ends.
    Last edited by Ludicus; August 19, 2020 at 04:28 PM.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

Germany recorded 1,707 new cases of the coronavirus in the last 24 hours, reflecting its highest daily toll since April. The country has now reported 228,261 cases of the virus, with 9,253 related deaths, according to data compiled from the Robert Koch Institute for infectious diseases.
    Spain has seen another 3,715 new cases of the virus confirmed in the past 24 hours, with an additional 127 deaths. As in Germany, Spain’s daily infection rate has not been this high since late April.
    Elsewhere, Italy reported 642 new coronavirus cases on Wednesday, notching its highest jump in new infections since late May. The country has recorded a total of 255,278 cases, with 35,412 deaths.
    Smells like new lockdowns to me

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by tgoodenow View Post
    Smells like new lockdowns to me
    Indeed. Meanwhile, Wuhan goes crazy.

---
    ---
    New IHME COVID-19 Forecasts See Nearly 300,000 Deaths ...
    America’s COVID-19 death toll is expected to reach nearly 300,000 by December 1; however, consistent mask-wearing beginning today could save about 70,000 lives, according to new data from the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) at the University of Washington’s School of Medicine.
    The US forecast totals 295,011 deaths by December. As of today, when, thus far, 158,000 have died, IHME is projecting approximately 137,000 more deaths. However, starting today, if 95% of the people in the US were to wear masks when leaving their homes, that total number would decrease to 228,271 deaths, a drop of 49%. And more than 66,000 lives would be saved.
    It's never enough to repeat how important this is.Two meters is not always enough for social distancing. It has already been shown before that there is significant potential for inhalation exposure to viruses in respiratory microdroplets at short to medium distances up to several meters. It is also very difficult to stay at least 6 feet away from others in crowded spaces. And many people refuse to practice social distancing: that's one more reason why face masks should me mandatory in in all indoor and outdoor public spaces and on public transport. More than 100 countries now require people to cover their faces when they leave home. With 120 countries making masks compulsory in public
    And, btw, in my opinion, the coronavirus vaccine should also be compulsory.

---
    Edit,
    Meanwhile, buy our... (just kidding. I couldn't resist)
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    ..."social" mask, Portugal develops the first textile face mask that inactivates the ...
    with a 99% viral reduction one hour after contact with the virus.

Edit II,
    In spite of milder disease or lack of symptoms, a significant percentage of infected children carry higher COVID-19 viral load than adults in ICUs. Pediatric SARS-CoV-2: Clinical Presentation, Infectivity, and Immune Responses

Objectives
    As schools plan for re-opening, understanding the potential role children play in the coronavirus infectious disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic and the factors that drive severe illness in children is critical.
    ....Only 25 (51%) of children with acute SARS-CoV-2 infection presented with fever; symptoms of SARS-CoV-2 infection, if present, were non-specific. Nasopharyngeal viral load was highest in children in the first 2 days of symptoms, significantly higher than hospitalized adults with severe disease (P = .002).
    Last edited by Ludicus; August 21, 2020 at 08:03 AM.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

@Ludicus, I didn't think I had to do this, but I guess I must point out the obvious: I am talking about the the impetus to prescribe non-medical face masks to the populace, not sophisticated filtering masks or surgical masks to medical professionals.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludicus View Post
    It's not a study, it is an opinion article.
    It's a report by the Norwegian Institute of Public Health. It is their job to inventory scientific research and convert it into policy.

This is the link from the Dutch equivalent, the RIVM.
    Home-made face masks do not provide sufficient protection against the coronavirus. Professional face masks do provide protection. They fit tightly over the nose and mouth and are changed regularly. Home-made face masks vary widely in fit, materials and overall quality. This is because various materials are used, such as cotton and linen. As a result, the fit and filter effect are not sufficient.
    The German Robert Koch Institute has the following to say about non-medical face masks (translated by me).
    Träger der beschriebenen Mund-Nasen-Bedeckungen können sich nicht darauf verlassen, dass diese sie oder andere vor einer Übertragung von SARS-CoV-2 schützen, da für diese Masken keine entsprechende Schutzwirkung nachgewiesen wurde.
    Both the RIVM and Robert Koch Institute don't say non-medical face masks have no protective value, but that it would be very limited. The norwegian study gives us some quantitative indication of how ineffective they are/would be.

Again, here in the Netherlands, we got the number of infected down without any contribution from face masks. Now, we see the number of infected go up again which is quite clearly tied to less stringent social distancing, either deliberate (easing of restrictions) or lessening compliance. It has nothing to do with situations where distancing is not possible. If it is that clear what governs these trends, why muddy the waters with a highly dubious alternative? My best guess it's born of desperation, both social and economic. It's something people want to believe in because they think it will allow them to get back to normal somewhat. To swap distancing for masks.
    Last edited by Muizer; August 21, 2020 at 10:07 AM.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Stario View Post
    The problem is the 'Vaxxers' crowd will listen/agree to anything...remember the wonder drug 'Thalidomide' (and there a many other examples of so called 'wonder drugs').
    Stario, don't mix apples and tomatoes. Thalidomide is not a vaccine, and there are medical indications for Thalidomide.Vaccines are safe and effective. There is no such as thing as a "vaxx crowd",and anti-vaxxers put all us at risk. In countries where you do have more infectious diseases, they see clearly what happens if you don't vaccinate.Some Of The World's Top Anti-Vaccine Countries Are In Europe
    -
    --

@Ludicus,
    A number of studies now suggest that herd immunity to COVID-19 may be much lower than the standard 60-80% figure frequently quoted.
    I wish they are right... but I don't think so.
    You might like to read this paper. In a controversial study, version 3 (prep print, not yet pear reviewed) my fellow countrywomen Gabriela Gomes - and co-authors- estimate that the threshold for naturally acquired herd immunity to COVID-19 could be as low as 20% of the population. Many other epidemiologists are skeptical of the low numbers.

Individual variation in susceptibility or exposure ... - NCBI - NIH

One Sentence Summary:
    Models that curtail individual variation in susceptibility or exposure to infection overestimate epidemic sizes and herd immunity thresholds.

... We have assumed that infection elicits persistent adaptive immunity. This assumption is justified by encouraging reports on animal models and humans recovered from SARS-CoV-2 infection, even though volatile immunity has not been ruled out yet. Our results are robust as long as recovered individuals remain immune for several months.
    See fig 1 Figure 1:
    The effect of variation in susceptibility to infection on the size of epidemics.

See Figure 2:
    The effect of variation in exposure to infection on the size of epidemics.

See Figure 3:
    Herd immunity threshold with variation in susceptibility and exposure to infection.

Supplementary Material

Supplement 2020
    Click here to view.(461K, pdf)

Supplement 2020
    Click here to view.(7.5M, pdf)

Supplement 2020
    Click here to view.(7.5M, pdf)

Abstract
    As severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) spreads, the susceptible subpopulation is depleted causing the incidence of new cases to decline. Variation in individual susceptibility or exposure to infection exacerbates this effect. Individuals that are more susceptible or more exposed tend to be infected earlier, depleting the susceptible subpopulation of those who are at higher risk of infection. This selective depletion of susceptibles intensifies the deceleration in incidence. Eventually, susceptible numbers become low enough to prevent epidemic growth or, in other words, the herd immunity threshold (HIT) is reached. Although estimates vary, simple calculations suggest that herd immunity to SARS-CoV-2 requires 60-70% of the population to be immune. By fitting epidemiological models that allow for heterogeneity to SARS-CoV-2 outbreaks across the globe, we show that variation in susceptibility or exposure to infection reduces these estimates. Accurate measurements of heterogeneity are therefore of paramount importance in controlling the COVID-19 pandemic.
    G. Gomes said, in an recent interview, "We're getting to the conclusion that the most affected regions like Madrid may be close to reaching herd immunity"

Hmmm...from the news 19 -08-2020

Spain leads Europe in new COVID-19 infections

Over 6,600 more COVID-19 infections were reported in Spain on Wednesday, reaffirming that the country has again become one of the worst-affected regions in the world.
    Spain’s Health Ministry confirmed a total of 6,680 more cases, raising the country's overall count to 370,867.
    Over the past two weeks, Spain has detected more COVID-19 cases per capita than any other European country, according to the World Health Organization.
    Spain’s cases per capita in recent days have been slightly higher than even Brazil and the US, two of the worst hit countries in the world.
    While Spain has so far been able to avoid huge numbers of fatalities or hospitalizations during the summer surge, both numbers are accelerating.
    On Wednesday, 127 more deaths were reported – the highest daily number since the lockdown ended in June – along with 450 new hospitalizations.
    Charles Péguy

Thomas Piketty

Citizen

I am talking about the the impetus to prescribe non-medical face masks to the populace, not sophisticated filtering masks or surgical masks to medical professionals.
    And that's great.There are excellent social masks, even better than our blue surgical masks. For example, see my spoiler, the ad-protect reusable mask. More, Customized face masks – Máscaras Zzie
    Its a level two mask, with a particle filtration equivalent to a P2. And many, many others. All masks are not created equal,but, generally speaking, any mask is better than nothing.
    ----
    It's a report by the Norwegian Institute of Public Health. It is their job to inventory scientific research and convert it into policy.
    I know, I know...at the beginning of the pandemic, the WHO said the same barbarity.WHO: Face masks could do more harm than good if used ...
    To wear or not to wear: WHO's confusing guidance on masks ...
    ----
    Here, the same thing happened. Our Directorate-General of Health has been constantly crucified by our virologists and epidemiologists for the same reason. Diretora-Geral da Saúde alerta para falsa sensação de ... ( she said: "masks create a false sensation of security"). Totally incomprehensible.

The norwegian study gives us some quantitative indication of how ineffective they are/would be.
    It's not a study, its a review of the literature. Their review. In a previous post,according to New IHME COVID-19 Forecasts See Nearly 300,000 Deaths ... "consistent mask-wearing beginning today could save about 70,000 lives"

It's really simple: Your mask protects me, my mask protects you.It's just common sense.
    Sometimes, it's hard to admit when you are wrong... writing in B.M.Journal, researchers from Univ. of Cambridge and King's College of London, say that the concept of "risk compensation" is itself the greater threat to public health as it may discourage policymakers from implementing potentially effective measures, such as wearing face coverings.

Now, we see the number of infected go up again
    Let's also keep in mind the Dutch lockdown, March 15- The Netherlands on lockdown: schools, cafes and sports clubs ...
    As I keep saying, social distancing is not always possible, in outdoor or closed crowded spaces.To posit that there is no scientific evidence that masks are really effective is a bold statement. Dutch position on face masks is confusing and damages trust ...
    ---
    And, as you might know, face masks are compulsory in Amsterdam and Rotterdam, in some public crowded spaces.
    ---
    And let's keep in mind that dry air appears to favour the spread of COVID-19: Humidity is a consistent climatic factor contributing to SARS
    the negative relationship between humidity and cases we observed in the Australian autumn is consistent with that observed in the Chinese winter (Qi et al., 2020). Combined with evidence from studies in the northern hemisphere, the influence of relative humidity on COVID‐19 incidence was found to be always negative in different regions, suggesting that the relationship could be universal: COVID‐19 is more sensitive to humidity and periods of lower humidity might forecast spikes in SARS‐CoV‐2 transmission. In the absence of a vaccine, such observations allow the more timely, efficient and effective deployment of public health interventions.

What's the right social distance in this case? how do you do it? the answer is: masks.
    Last edited by Ludicus; August 22, 2020 at 11:17 AM.
    Charles Péguy

Thomas Piketty

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

Ludicus, I've actually watched the technical briefings (where the National health institute informs parliament about the science behind the measures) in the Netherland since the beginning. There's no confusion there. There never has been. What I have seen, though, is non-expert parliamentarians bring up the subjects of face masks time and again. The media also tend to go on and on about it. So when they say there's 'confusion', what they mean is 'why aren't the experts saying what we want them to say'. It's agonizing how poor journalism has been. On multiple occasions they've managed to mis-represent what they were told within literal minutes of press conferences and briefings which were crystal clear.

This is exactly what I am talking about. Either the media and parliamentarians are too dumb to grasp what they've been told, or they they just don't want to accept what they're told because they are desperate for a different message: an excuse to ditch social distancing. The recent introduction of compulsory face masks i Amsterdam and Rotterdam is an example of this. It's not that social distancing is impossible there. It's that these cities are too concerned with their economy to tell tourists to stay away, or to close down busy street markets. And so, they introduce a measure instead whose supposed efficacy is based on equivocal results from a few studies conducted under laboratory conditions and advised by experts as a last resort only.

Evidently, a lot will depend on the quality of the masks people wear in practice and their handling of them. It's not at all a given that 'any mask is better than none' when they are handled by people without any training. A quick search lead me to this lab? study, which concludes that for infuenza, 'a cloth mask would be better than no mask'. Then again, there's this one, where in a clinical trial, cloth masks actually performed worse than no masks....amongst healthcare professionals. This is not Covid19, but that's not the point. The point is the difference between lab and practice. Aren't you expecting too much of the general populace then? Are you not expecting them to reproduce lab conditions in the field?
    Last edited by Muizer; August 22, 2020 at 06:43 PM.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

I think coronavirus is a real disease but its impact on society has been grossly exaggerated to the point that is it a hoax perpetuated for political gains, change my mind.

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    I think coronavirus is a real disease but its impact on society has been grossly exaggerated to the point that is it a hoax perpetuated for political gains, change my mind.
    Congratulations you made it to Bargaining in the five stages of grief. You concede a real disease is real so other people have to concede your skewed binary world view is valid? LOL, depression and acceptance are next.

The disease is real and the US system is not well set up to respond. While the choice of a reality TV star as C in C was a poor one, Trumps inability to read a cue card is not as devastating as the ramshackle and quite often predatory healthcare models your elite have imposed.

Or hurr durr Orange Man good. Take your pick, whatever uses less mental capacity.

lmoa, what does Trump have to do with anything?

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    lmoa, what does Trump have to do with anything?
    Agreed, he's not very engaged in actually running the country.

As for changing your mind, your posts don't seem to include answers to questions directed at you, just more questions. Its not really a dialogue.

I think people who carry water for Trump maybe avoid answering questions because the answers make him look bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludicus
    Stario, don't mix apples and tomatoes. Thalidomide is not a vaccine
    Vaccines are drugs; Thalidomide is a drug...

I wish they are right... but I don't think so.
    There is a high possibility they are right!
    The fact that Sweden's death count has plummeted close to zero is good evidence that Sweden has attained, or is close to attaining herd immunity.

Even patients without antibodies have virus-specific T cells

The authors of the new study examined blood from 206 people in Sweden who had COVID-19 with varying degrees of severity. They found that regardless of whether a person had recovered from a mild or severe case, they still developed a robust T-cell response. Even coronavirus patients who did not test positive for antibodies developed memory T cells, the results showed.

Even people who've never been exposed to the new coronavirus can have protective T cells
    Both of those previous studies yielded a more surprising finding as well: Many people who've never gotten COVID-19 seem to have memory T cells that can recognise the new coronavirus.
    That was true for more than half of a cohort of 37 people in the July study and at least one-third of a group of 68 patients in the Nature study. The likeliest explanation for these findings is a phenomenon called cross-reactivity: when T cells developed in response to another virus react to a similar but previously unknown pathogen. In this case, experts think these cross-reactive T cells likely come from previous exposure to other coronaviruses — those that cause common colds.
    The authors of the new study said they detected T cells "months after infection, even in the absence of detectable circulating antibodies."
    Other research suggests that T cells not only last at least three months after coronavirus symptoms start, but in some cases also increase in number during that time.
    What's more, clues gleaned from other coronaviruses, like SARS, suggest T cells' lifespan could be decades-long.
    The July study also looked for T cells in blood samples from 23 people who survived SARS. Sure enough, those survivors still had SARS-specific memory T cells 17 years after getting sick. Those same T cells could recognise the new coronavirus, too.
    Last edited by Stario; August 23, 2020 at 10:33 AM.

Genava's Avatar Senator

"Once the herd accepts mandatory vaccinations, it’s game over. They will accept anything – forcible blood or organ donation – ‘for the greater good’. We can genetically modify children and sterilize them —- ‘for the greater good’. Control sheep minds and you control the herd. And many of you in this room are investors. It’s a big win-win. We thin out the herd and the herd pays us for extermination services….’”
    https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/slippery-slope
    LOTR mod for Shogun 2 Total War (Campaign and Battles!)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIywmAgUxQU

Just because someone uses an argument in the form of a slippery slope does not mean that their argument is invalid or fallacious IE. "Killing a baby after birth is wrong, therefore killing a fetus at 9 months is wrong, therefore killing a fetus at 8 months wrong"...

Citizen

It's that these cities are too concerned with their economy to tell tourists to stay away
    With or without tourists, it is impossible to keep a safe social distancing in crowded places.
    -------

they introduce a measure instead whose supposed efficacy is based on equivocal results from a few studies conducted under laboratory conditions and advised by experts as a last resort only
    Not really, and that's the point. The title says all, As Europe masks up, the Netherlands dithers
    You see, there are no "equivocal results from a few studies", sorry. It's just, as I said, "their -flawed - review". Face masking is an effective tool to help slow the spread of the virus,

1 )

CDC calls on Americans to wear masks to prevent COVID-19 spread

JAMA editorial reviews latest science, while case study shows masks prevented COVID spread. In an editorial published in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), CDC reviewed the latest science and affirms that cloth face coverings are a critical tool in the fight against COVID-19 that could reduce the spread of the disease, particularly when used universally within communities.
    The finding adds to a growing body of evidence that cloth face coverings provide source control – that is, they help prevent the person wearing the mask from spreading COVID-19 to others. The main protection individuals gain from masking occurs when others in their communities also wear face coverings.
    Here, the editorial Universal Masking to Prevent SARS-CoV-2 Transmission

2)

Face Masks Considerably Reduce COVID-19 Cases in Germany A synthetic Control Method Approach

We use the synthetic control method to analyze the effect of face masks on the spread of Covid-19 in Germany. Our identification approach exploits regional variation in the point in time when face masks became compulsory. Depending on the region we analyse, we find that face masks reduced the cumulative number of registered Covid-19 cases between 2.3% and 13% over a period of 10 days after they became compulsory. Assessing the credibility of the various estimates, we conclude that face masks reduce the daily growth rate of reported infections by around 40%

3)
    massive study says they cut infection risk by 85%

Israeli experts back conclusions of meta-analysis that prompted WHO to change its position, say face coverings ‘do actually save lives’ and are a good long-term public strategy

Results are in for the world’s biggest study on face coverings to defend against the novel coronavirus — and they point to a major reduction in risk.
    Wearing face coverings cuts chances of COVID-19 infection by 85 percent upon encountering someone with the virus, according to a Canadian-led team that published a meta-analysis of worldwide mask research in The Lancet, a peer-reviewed medical journal, earlier this month.

The World Health Organization-funded team that published its findings in The Lancet found that healthy people who are around an infected person reduce their chances of catching coronavirus from 17.4% to 3.1%, by wearing a mask. Staying a meter (3 feet) or more apart reduces infection rates from 12.8% to 2.6% — and social distancing becomes even more effective as the distance increases to two or three meters.

In Israel, the public was told to wear masks in public on April 1, earlier than in many other countries, and their use was then enshrined in law, but officials say that many people are now failing to follow the instruction.

“It’s an objective scientific demonstration that masks do actually save lives,” immunologist Cyrille Cohen told The Times of Israel. “It’s important because it backs up with statistics what we thought and believed to be correct.”

Hertz, a member of faculty at Ben-Gurion University of the Negev’s Microbiology, Immunology and Genetics, added: “The study shows that masks are a good long-term strategy for the public.”

The Lancet study comes as another journal retracted a paper that had cast doubt on the usefulness of masks.

The Lancet research, led by Derek Chu of Canada’s McMaster University, was a meta-analysis of some 172 studies that have been conducted in 16 countries and six continents tracking the health of people who followed recommended practices. They focused on COVID-19, and other infections caused by the same family of viruses: severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) and Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS).
    Here: Physical distancing, face masks, and eye protection ... - The Lancet
    our findings continued to support the ideas not only that masks in general are associated with a large reduction in risk of infection from SARS-CoV-2, SARS-CoV, and MERS-CoV
    4)

A Swedish study (Karolinska Institutet) highlights the efficacy of face masks in reducing the spread of infectious viral diseases. Swedish researchers recommend use of masks based on studies
    Cloth face masks can reduce the spread of SARS-CoV-2

The findings, now published in the journal Mayo Clinic Proceedings, support the wearing of cloth masks to reduce the spread of the new coronavirus, according to the researchers.

“We have no direct proof that face masks reduce the transmission of SARS-CoV-2, as this would require a randomized clinical trial that would be unethical to conduct,” says Juan Jesus Carrero, professor of epidemiology at the Department of Medical Epidemiology and Biostatistics and corresponding author of the study.

However, the literature we found clearly shows that face masks can reduce the spread of viruses and protect the wearer – some of them highly effectively. This evidence should be more than sufficient to recommend their use, particularly given the difficulty in controlling the ongoing pandemic.”

The research group identified 25 published articles that studied the filtration properties of cloth or cloth face masks of various designs and materials.
    -------

Meanwhile in Sweden, Tegnell tries to escape checkmate by running forward and has dismissed the scientific evidence for mask-wearing as "astonishingly weak".
    ------

The problem with holding up Sweden as an example for

..if you were to try to draw a line from Sweden’s 14 percent mask wearing to its recent zero daily deaths, that would be problematic. These two pieces of information are being taken out of context if discussed together. Do we know if people who died from the coronavirus wore masks? No. If they did not, do we know if their lives could have been saved if they did wear a mask? No.
    Whatever your stance is on Sweden’s approach to the coronavirus, the fact remains that many people have lost their lives, and it’s likely that a portion of those deaths were preventable. Some research suggests that doctors in Sweden chose who to admit to the hospitals based on their likelihood of surviving, and that prevented the hospitals from being overloaded; this typically meant older individuals and people in care homes were. These are not choices that anyone wants to make, and we should not allow that to become the norm.

Low mask-wearing compliance and low deaths does not mean masks don’t work. This is a classic example of correlation not causation. It may be a coincidence that there are low numbers of deaths in Sweden, at least currently, and low numbers of people wearing masks. Other factors that could play a part are the population density, how people are mixing with others, and how many contacts they have. If people have reduced how often they mix with others or have a limited number of contacts, the outbreak could naturally taper off because it isn’t encountering new susceptible people.
    It is aninescapable fact thatSweden was the Nordic country that reported the highest number of COVID-19 deaths in 2020 so far. Great strategy.
    -------
    From the news,
    Norway Makes First Face Mask Recommendation Since Pandemic began
    In recent days, however, authorities in Denmark and Finland changed their views and now recommend their use in some circumstances

Let's keep in mind that contrary to popular belief, last April Finland encouraged use of face masks in policy turnaround

Finland in face mask U-turn, recommends
    Finnish health authorities have said citizens should wear face masks in public, after previously questioning the necessity.
    France tightens mask rules as Covid cases rise
    Italy set to extend mask-wearing rules

Italy's health minister Roberto Speranza says that there are three "essential" rules in the fight against covid-19: the use of masks; social distancing and staying clear of crowds; and the frequent washing of hands.
    Italy's Matteo Salvini makes U-turn on face masks – POLITICO
    Salvini's U-turn highlights the difficulties politicians — especially populist ones — have in finding the right approach during the pandemic
    Belgium: What are the rules on wearing masks
    Wearing a mask is compulsory in all public places within the Brussels region and Antwerp province, for everyone aged 12 and over

How Spain's face mask rules are being broken

Australia- Victoria is the first state to introduce mandatory mask rules
    Based on the latest advice from the Chief Health Officer, we’re urging Victorians: just as you remember to take your keys when you leave the house, you need to remember to take something to cover your face – to help keep you and our community safe.
    -----
    New Zealand NZ could have mask law similar to Melbourne's if Covid-19 returns
    NZ Be prepared to wear a mask if needed, health minister says
    -----
    A few hours ago, WHO: Older Children Should Wear Face Masks to Slow Coronavirus Spread
    -----
    Still Confused About Masks?
    ...Rutherford was more blunt. The legitimate concern that the limited supply of surgical masks and N95 respirators should be saved for health care workers should not have prevented more nuanced messaging about the benefits of masking. “We should have told people to wear cloth masks right off the bat,”
    What may have finally convinced the CDC to change its guidance in favor of masks were rising disease prevalence and a clearer understanding that both pre-symptomatic and asymptomatic transmission are possible – even common.
    Last edited by Ludicus; August 23, 2020 at 12:19 PM.
    Charles Péguy

Thomas Piketty

Citizen

Vaccines are drugs; Thalidomide is a drug..
    Vaccines.

Let's see what Nancy Messonier (CDC), a notorious leader of " the Evil Vaccine Crowd" has to say: "I don't think parents realize how rigorously studied vaccines are. We know that vaccines are safe because we study them"

Edit: any vaccine can cause minor side effects, vaccines do not cause autism. But you see, chickenpox /varicella infection can lead to pneumonia. Polio can lead to polio infection cause permanent paralysis. Mumps can lead to deafness. Haemophilus influenzae type b) infection could result in permanent brain damage or even death. The HPV can cause cervical cancer in women and other less common cancers,like cancers of the anus, penis, vagina, and vulva and oropharynx. Vaccine protection is long-lasting. The BCG vaccine protects against tuberculosis. Flu vaccination reduced deaths and hospitalization for flu-related chronic lung and heart diseases, Etc. ad nausea.

Against the resurgence of medieval ignorance going on, in my opinion there is nothing wrong with The global crackdown on parents who refuse vaccines for their kids.

A significant number of anti vaxxers is more dangerous than you think, Stario. In the US, the coordinated terrorism of anti-vaxxers,a violent extremist movement, is a real threat to the public health, doctors and patients. It includes cyber attacks to medical institutions, violent threats to doctors, nurses, families, including mothers who have lost their children.
    How Facebook and YouTube help spread anti-vaxxer ...
    Facebook vowed to investigate horrific abuse by anti-vaxxers ...

-----
    Anti-vaccine groups take dangerous online harassment into

Anti-vaxxers adopt new manipulation tactics to spread
    Anti-vaccine organizers have been harassing legislators and doctors in person...NBC wrote about one demonstration on Long Island, New York, in October. “Several approached parents entering the building with their infants, asking, ‘Are you vaccinating your baby?
    ’”
    Anti-vaxxer livestreamed alleged assault on pro-vaccine
    Last edited by Ludicus; August 23, 2020 at 12:42 PM.
    Charles Péguy

Thomas Piketty

Genava's Avatar Senator

Just because someone uses an argument in the form of a slippery slope does not mean that their argument is invalid or fallacious
    Only if you are able to demonstrate such extremes are likely to happen. There are eleven countries in Europe with some mandatory vaccination and nothing indicate they will reach the extremes of your slippery slope argument.

If a girl says yes for a date, it doesn't mean she already said yes for your expected following. This is the same situation with citizens accepting mandatory vaccination, they are likely to refuse extreme proposals, especially forced sterilization from your example, because it will be in conflict with their other desires and life goals.

IE. "Killing a baby after birth is wrong, therefore killing a fetus at 9 months is wrong, therefore killing a fetus at 8 months wrong"...
    You jumped from baby to fetus without demonstration, at which point your sequence/chain is ending? Are you jumping from fetus to embryo after?

It became a fetus around the ninth week after conception but that's a practical threshold. Prenatal development is a continuum, with no clear defining feature distinguishing an embryo from a fetus.

When your slippery slop ends and why?
    LOTR mod for Shogun 2 Total War (Campaign and Battles!)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIywmAgUxQU