Page 25 of 222 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425262728293031323334355075125 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus outbreak - From China to the World.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Default Re: Coronavirus outbreak - From China to the World.

A list of many of the current treatments and vaccine efforts.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...?mod=home-page
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

This thread, abridged:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Armchair science aside, I hope everyone out there is staying safe, clean, and socially distanced. Let’s all do our part so we can get this over with before the world economy shuts down.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by B. W. View Post
    I had the flu when I was in my 20s and it nearly killed me but didn't leave any long term effects
    Indeed. Well, the coronavirus can leave the lungs permanently damaged, after recovery.
    Radiology, Coronavirus-Update - RSNA

EU Chief is optimistic -Coronavirus vaccine could be ready 'before autumn', says EU

French PM warns of UK travel ban over coronavirus - The Local

Obviously!
    ----
    Edit. As I've already mentioned before ( two days ago) my country is ready to declare state of emergency in just a few moments.
    Last edited by Ludicus; March 18, 2020 at 10:16 AM.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

Quote Originally Posted by Yayattasa View Post
    What do you people think of these two news?

I was quite appaled by the estimates for the UK and US (in the hundreds of thousands dead). I mean, compared to that Hubei (which has pretty much the same population of the UK) was a walk in the park. Why is that so?
    Their models use an R0 of either 2 or 3, which is about what everybody agrees on, but their estimates are based on a case fatality rate of 0.25 to 1%. They don't have access to any data that everyone else doesn't have, and anyone who can do some simple calculations can see a CFR of 1% is more likely to be a best case scenario than a worst case scenario. In Hubei, 4.6% of the confirmed cases have already died. Even if you assume 75% of cases went undetected due to being asymptomatic, then the CFR would still be greater than 1.2%. In South Korea were there has been extensive testing of asymptomatic individuals and the healthcare system has not been overwhelmed, 1% have already died, meaning the CFR is almost certainly equal to or (more likely) greater than that.

I also agree with Gaidin's point about the harshness of the measures taken in China not being feasible in Western countries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

swabian's Avatar igni ferroque

I also agree with Gaidin's point about the harshness of the measures taken in China not being feasible in Western countries.
    But millions of deaths is feasible because we have our western values, right. The Chinese have humiliated us, the West. The CDC had an idea about what authoritarianism can do but kindly withheld it from public discussions. It will turn out how thankful one may be inclined to feel about that.

Quote Originally Posted by swabian View Post
    But millions of deaths is feasible because we have our western values, right. The Chinese have humiliated us, the West. The CDC had an idea about what authoritarianism can do but kindly withheld it from public discussions. It will turn out how thankful one may be inclined to feel about that.
    I think the South Korean response is ideally the one to emulate if the main concern is reducing fatalities, but the problem is a lot of its success comes from the attitude of the population, which isn't really something that can be dictated.

It looks like they've already made it over the top of the curve:

Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

JP226's Avatar Dux Limitis

Have it on pretty good authority. Whispers up at the hill are just beginning about possible retaliations against China. Longer Americans stay out of work, the angrier we get unlike Lazy Europeans. Wouldn't be surprised if we hit hard with tariffs. Maybe even capital controls.
    Sure I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is Im not. I honestly feel that America is the best country and all other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

Papay's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default The economic-political consequences of coronovirus

Currently we are in the middle of the worst meltdown in the history of stock markets. Dow Jones has fallen from 29.500 to 19.000 in only a month (and the worst is that this will continue). In Europe deutsche bank predicted a fall of 22% in the GDP of eurozone. Under these results, many questions emerge

1)Will European Union be destroyed?
    2)WIll Trump lose the upcoming election?
    3)Who will be the ultimate winners?

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Tobacco vs coronavirus,
    Tobacco-Use Disparity in Gene Expression of ACE2, the ...

Whether ACE2 is the only or major receptor of 2019-nCov is unknown. The reason(s) for the tobacco-related disparity in ACE2 expression is unknown. Despites current limited knowledge, this study indicates the smokers may be more susceptible to 2019-nCov and thus smoking history should be considered in identifying susceptible population and standardizing treatment regimen.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The economic-political consequences of coronovirus

Quote Originally Posted by Papay View Post
    Whats your opinion and how are this questions related to the coronavirus crisis according to you?

B. W.'s Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Papay View Post
    Currently we are in the middle of the worst meltdown in the history of stock markets. Dow Jones has fallen from 29.500 to 19.000 in only a month (and the worst is that this will continue). In Europe deutsche bank predicted a fall of 22% in the GDP of eurozone. Under these results, many questions emerge

In answer to the title I will say this; globalism in it previous form is dead.

As to the other questions, here goes:

1.The members of the EU have found out that they can't rely on promises from other members. Factor in unchecked migration from countries whose culture has a history of conflict with western culture and the EU nations will have to decide whether they want to maintain their historic culture and values or embrace the values that are being imported.

2.The leftists continue to dream about a situation that will take out Trump. First, they criticized Trump as a racist when he halted travel from China (which has saved countless lives) and then they said he wasn't doing enough. People (most of them) can see through this hypocrisy and so, yes, Trump will be re-elected.

3.The ultimate winners are the countries that come to the conclusion that the best course of action is to take care of and put first the welfare of its own citizens.

4.Oops, you didn't ask the fourth question, but no matter I'll answer it. Yes, China will be the big loser in this. The just in time supply chain that has enriched so many elites in so many countries to levels unforeseen in the history of mankind will be largely abandoned in favor of more domestic production. Yes, companies will still use the system but laws will be passed guaranteeing domestic supplies are maintained; prices will go up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludicus View Post
    Indeed. Well, the coronavirus can leave the lungs permanently damaged, after recovery.
    Radiology, Coronavirus-Update - RSNA

EU Chief is optimistic -Coronavirus vaccine could be ready 'before autumn', says EU

French PM warns of UK travel ban over coronavirus - The Local

Obviously!
    ----
    Edit. As I've already mentioned before ( two days ago) my country is ready to declare state of emergency in just a few moments.
    Thanks, that exactly the point I was trying to make. I should have been more clear. Here's a bit more on why young people should take this seriously:

https://michaelsavage.com/coronaviru...ts-lung-scans/
    Last edited by alhoon; March 18, 2020 at 02:38 PM.

JP226's Avatar Dux Limitis

Elite National Guard Brigades are now mobilizing across the country. 48 to 72 hours they’ll be deployed.
    Sure I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is Im not. I honestly feel that America is the best country and all other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

Praeses

Anyone who thinks troublemaking is the exclusive domain of western states:

https://thehill.com/policy/internati...onavirus-wuhan

Quote Originally Posted by JP226 View Post
    Elite National Guard Brigades are now mobilizing across the country. 48 to 72 hours they’ll be deployed.
    The sub-elite units will deploy a day or two later, dunno man, they've got a lot on. Sorry about the stains on the uniforms, couldn't get them out and anyway who cares.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

I think what we should see come out of this is

People realising the silliness of letting oneself be guided by non-authoritative sources of information.
    A return to respect for authority, whether it's civil or scientific.
    A realisation that health-care cannot be left to the free market
    A realisation that dependency on global flows of goods is bad. (which btw by no means supports the idea that nation states are the right scale of organization)
    A realisation that intercontinental travel for the masses is bad (don't even mention migration unless you're prepared to acknowledge that).

I also expect there may be some unforeseen consequences. Like it or not, we're in an 'experiment' where measures are taken that would almost certainly be rejected in any other context. Large sections of the population working from home, for instance, might cause a paradigm shift if we discover we were traveling way more than necessary or if out of necessity, solutions are found that make a return to the old model of commuting to an office just to sit behind a desk seem quaint.
    Last edited by Muizer; March 18, 2020 at 04:52 PM.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Diamat's Avatar VELUTI SI DEUS DARETUR

Just traveled back to the US from South Korea. I arrived at LAX yesterday, where I observed a bunch of stupidity. To begin with, there was no temperature check when de-boarding the plane. The CDC health inspection took place at immigration. This meant that everyone had to stand in the same immigration line, citizen or not. This process took quite some time, and most people did not wear masks. It should be obvious that these health screenings need to take place when de-boarding, to prevent the virus spreading to people waiting in line at immigration. To make matters worse, the CDC people just randomly let people go without any health check. It was unorganized and messy.

Next I took a domestic plane (Delta) from LAX. I couldn't believe what I was seeing (in comparison to Korea). Almost no one wore masks. Not even the stewardess was wearing a mask! Nor gloves! And no disinfection teams sanitized the airplane that had just arrived.

Now compare all this with my experience in Korea, where I had to undergo three separate temperature and health screenings before boarding the plane. One guy wasn't allowed to board because his temperature was too high. Korean Air stewardesses wore masks and gloves, and they changed gloves regularly. I flew first class, but I'm sure it was the same for economy peasants.

Conclusion: The US isn't at all ready for this. Expect an exponential increase in cases.

ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar hey it geg

I think like many here I was fairly unconcerned with this whole virus just several weeks ago. I simply regurgitated the news I'd been seeing and hearing almost exclusively for the duration of the original outbreak in China: "This will be worse in China than what many expect, but it will not affect our safety or economy to nearly the extent the fear mongers are insisting upon." Well, pretty clearly that was wrong.

I think regardless of where you stand in US politics you're delusional if you think this doesn't affect Trump's re-election campaign in a negative way. He has made his whole brand revolve around the massive highs of the US economy during his time in office (regardless of the debate about how artificial those gains were or how much those gains were getting into the hands of citizens). To have that evaporate regardless of the cause will see him take a fair share of the blame just as all sitting Presidents/their party do when things get bad. The fact of the matter is most Americans are not ideological voters and swing back and forth depending on who they are pissed at or the media makes them pissed at. Trump definitely is trying to salvage this to help his re-election campaign. It certainly didn't help that he called this whole outbreak "less deadly than the flu".

Now, when it comes to just how severe this is going to be, I think it's getting increasingly frightening. No one alive has lived through something like this; the most comparable thing I can think of is the post-WWI Spanish Flu. The difference is that came at the very beginning of globalization, our economies weren't linked as they are now and you didn't have widespread commercial flight enabling the commonfolk to travel far and wide nearly as easily. We were incredibly lax at the start and the biggest problem is how insidiously this disease works, as you can be a carrier with no signs and infect tons of people.

I'm terrified because I live in a house with one grandparent and have elderly grandparents nearby, all 50 miles away from one of the biggest cities in the world with one of the largest international airports in the world. The fact I can lose people very close to me, possibly due to exposure to me, is something that should just not be occurring. I think anyone understating this at this point is lying to themselves and likely turning something that should absolutely be a nonpartisan issue into something political. The numbers show this is 10x more deadly than the flu and we literally have no idea how widespread it could be. Our identification and treatment methods are not fully developed for this type of virus, so I think comparing it to the flu is just absurd. Everyone stay safe and take precautionary measures.
    Rep me and I'll rep you back.

UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF THE KING POSTER AKAR

Quote Originally Posted by Muizer View Post
    I think what we should see come out of this is

People realising the silliness of letting oneself be guided by non-authoritative sources of information.
    Like WHO praising Beijing and refusing to acknowledge that it is a pandemic for a month?
    A return to respect for authority, whether it's civil or scientific.
    Government authorities that caused this deserve a lot of things, but respect isn't one of them.
    A realisation that health-care cannot be left to the free market
    Both public and private healthcare systems were challenged by this.
    A realisation that dependency on global flows of goods is bad. (which btw by no means supports the idea that nation states are the right scale of organization)
    A realisation that intercontinental travel for the masses is bad (don't even mention migration unless you're prepared to acknowledge that).
    Without a doubt, globalism is to blame here. But globalist policies that caused the pandemic to spread by virtue of action or inaction were largely enacted by the civil authorities, so..
    The main lesson here, is realization that authorities may not always have your best interests at heart. Some globalist politician would rather have thousands of people get infected and possibly die, then risk disturbing the precious status quo.

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    I think the South Korean response is ideally the one to emulate if the main concern is reducing fatalities, but the problem is a lot of its success comes from the attitude of the population, which isn't really something that can be dictated.

It looks like they've already made it over the top of the curve:
    But will we have mutated Covid-19, back with a vengeance, in 2021? I'm afraid we are in for the long haul.

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Diamat View Post
    Just traveled back to the US from South Korea. I arrived at LAX yesterday, where I observed a bunch of stupidity.
    You went to the USA, what did you expect?

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    The main lesson here, is realization that authorities may not always have your best interests at heart. Some globalist politician would rather have thousands of people get infected and possibly die, then risk disturbing the precious status quo.
    That depends on who people vote for. The main issue here is that that matters hugely. In periods like this, a strong reliable government is obviously needed. Point being that the reaction of mistrust in current and past elected governments should not be "let's have less government" but "damn, we'd better take the question of who we put in charge seriously". Because I'm afraid a lot of people haven't been taking it seriously under the motto "they all suck, so why bother". Now in times of crisis it's become obvious we should have bothered. We should have prioritized proven competence over infotainment and free market evangelism. Another 'disease' we have to cure ourselves from to make that happen is the false notion social media have instilled in so many that every opinion carries equal weight. We should stop being idiots like that guy we have here in the Netherlands, Thierry Baudet, who, while having no medical qualifications whatsoever, yesterday during a parliamentary hearing was actually presuming to tell a senior virologist he was misinterpreting the data.
    Last edited by Muizer; March 19, 2020 at 04:19 AM.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -