Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Any submod to make late campaign much harder?

  1. #1

    Default Any submod to make late campaign much harder?

    Hi friends! I really love DEI but I seem to only enjoy the beginning of campaigns, where I have to calculate every step and be careful. There's certain point (I think that is when I have two or more entire provinces) that the gameplay reduces drastrically its difficulty and everything is so easy. You start to earn tons of money, everyone wants to trade with you, all factions want an alliance or don't dare to make war to you...

    Is there any submod to make that part of the campaign harder? I never finish campaigns because of this, at certain point it's just snowballing.

    I know there's Imperium traits and others than make it harder, but everything can be easily solved.

    Thank you so much!

  2. #2
    Jake Armitage's Avatar Primicerius
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    apartment 6
    Posts
    3,711

    Default Re: Any submod to make late campaign much harder?

    At what difficulty are you playing vanilla DeI?
    Just raising it could solve something, speaking of what you were talking about.

    There are many submods you can try:

    - Official Hardcore (there are some customizations packs too)
    - Alternative Economy
    - Alternative Economy + Cultural tensio
    - Scipio's Realism
    - Data Venia
    - Testudo

    Everyone makes the gameplay more or less difficult in its own way. Read descriptions for further infos.

    Personally, and if I've understood clearly what you're seeking for, I would recommend testudo. It has a lot of modded and new features for having a slower/harder campaign. Read descriptions 'cause there are really a lot of canges.
    Keep in mind that you'll need to get used to its mechanics through a couple of trials.
    If you don't want to complicate too much your life then try one of the others, you won't be disappointed anyway.
    Last edited by Jake Armitage; January 26, 2020 at 12:38 PM.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Any submod to make late campaign much harder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    At what difficulty are you playing vanilla DeI?
    Just raising it could solve something, speaking of what you were talking about.

    There are many submods you can try:

    - Official Hardcore (there are some customizations packs too)
    - Alternative Economy
    - Alternative Economy + Cultural tensio
    - Scipio's Realism
    - Data Venia
    - Testudo

    Everyone makes the gameplay more or less difficult in its own way. Read descriptions for further infos.

    Personally, and if I've understood clearly what you're seeking for, I would recommend testudo. It has a lot of modded and new features for having a slower/harder campaign. Read descriptions 'cause there are really a lot of canges.
    Keep in mind that you'll need to get used to its mechanics through a couple of trials.
    If you don't want to complicate too much your life then try one of the others, you won't be disappointed anyway.
    Thanks for the answer! I've played a Rome campaign in Normal (the first one to learn the mechanics) and a Getae campaign in Hard.

    I love the start of the campaigns, and I don't look to make that harder.

    But at some point you just get exponentially bigger and better at all, just like I described before. And then it's just chose the faction you wanna conquer and send your armies there to finish the job, there's no sense of danger or that some other faction could win a war against you any more.

    Or maybe I've just been lucky... But that's what I feel.

    I'll check out those submods!

  4. #4

    Default Re: Any submod to make late campaign much harder?

    The late game has always been too easy in Total War games. The sense of danger you get goes away and that is perhaps why I get bored with my campaigns after about turn 150 or so. I might try some of these mods but I don't want the early game any harder.
    Shogun 2, no thanks I will stick with Kingdoms SS.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Any submod to make late campaign much harder?

    Quote Originally Posted by stevehoos View Post
    The late game has always been too easy in Total War games. The sense of danger you get goes away and that is perhaps why I get bored with my campaigns after about turn 150 or so. I might try some of these mods but I don't want the early game any harder.
    That's exactly what I think!

  6. #6
    Jake Armitage's Avatar Primicerius
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    apartment 6
    Posts
    3,711

    Default Re: Any submod to make late campaign much harder?

    You can do a lot of workarounds about this TW issue but you'll need scripted systems. That's the only way.
    A couple of examples are the economical corruption (lowers money depending on treasury), the economical trust (flexible economical system tracking down the actual economy through a lot of sources) and a sort of secondary imperium level depending on regions owned (more flexible than the 7 steps of the imperium levels). Testudo has every of these features (and a lot more) so this is why I recommend it to "bored" players (I would do the same if it wasn't mine). As I have already said you'll have to get used to it 'cause the gameplay is pretty different (and comlicated) than DeI's. Could be that you simply don't like it but technically (speaking of the campaign pace) it works fine.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Any submod to make late campaign much harder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    You can do a lot of workarounds about this TW issue but you'll need scripted systems. That's the only way.
    A couple of examples are the economical corruption (lowers money depending on treasury), the economical trust (flexible economical system tracking down the actual economy through a lot of sources) and a sort of secondary imperium level depending on regions owned (more flexible than the 7 steps of the imperium levels). Testudo has every of these features (and a lot more) so this is why I recommend it to "bored" players (I would do the same if it wasn't mine). As I have already said you'll have to get used to it 'cause the gameplay is pretty different (and comlicated) than DeI's. Could be that you simply don't like it but technically (speaking of the campaign pace) it works fine.
    Thank you Jake! I'll definitely try it

  8. #8

    Default Re: Any submod to make late campaign much harder?

    With the official hardcore submod, you should see empire maintenance over 100% by midgame, making only your top couple economic provinces viable. On the other hand, it significantly slows down technology while - because of increased AI aggression and lowered diplomacy bonuses - speeds up the rate of expansion. The result is that you find yourself winning the game on turn 110 after a grueling blitzkrieg around the world with a bunch of levies. It's fun, and it's hard, but it leaves some things to be desired. After that, I started playing N/N with Cultural Tension (hard version), Alternative Economy (hard version), and Age of Hellenism. That's yielded much slower, more deliberative campaigns that are immersive and enjoyable. But while they're harder than base DeI, they're also still a bit too easy. I'll be starting my next campaign with that slate as Rome on H/N and see how that goes.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Any submod to make late campaign much harder?

    Once I take Carthage as Rome is pretty much game over. Money isn't an issue and two stacks are enough. I use what money I don make to bribe everyone else to liking me. Thank god for the population system though, makes the game much more engaging.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •