Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Picard

Default Re: Picard

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel144 View Post
    Not with that accent he aint.
    Picard is born in 2305, and he was promoted to Admiral between 2379 and 2385, and in 2387 Admiral Picard resigned in protest with how Starfleet handled the situation.

The way you behave, New England should still have the British accents and English language of the 1700s. 300 years of societal accent evolution, nevermind 80 years of his career? You really can't say what he has any business his accent being.
    Last edited by Gaidin; January 25, 2020 at 06:50 PM.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    Picard is born in 2305, and he was promoted to Admiral between 2379 and 2385, and in 2387 Admiral Picard resigned in protest with how Starfleet handled the situation.
    So what? What does that have to do with with what I wrote? Which at least Haille Satanus seems to have at least been capable of understanding.
    The way you behave, New England should still have the British accents and English language of the 1700s. 300 years of societal accent evolution, nevermind 80 years of his career? You really can't say what he has any business his accent being.
    I can wubbing say whatever I wubbing please about it, Gaidin.

Are you gonna somehow stop me?

I can wubbing say whatever I wubbing please about it, Gaidin.

Are you gonna somehow stop me?
    You can of course say whatever you please. I can point out that the utter BS you are saying makes absolutely no sense. Get used to it.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

So the first part was the usual non-sequitur.
    You can of course say whatever you please. I can point out that the utter BS you are saying makes absolutely no sense. Get used to it.
    [amazing, Still displaying a lack of comprehension]
    Then telling me I "really can't say" was stupid thing to say, Gaidin. Typical, but utterly idiotic.
    And I'm very used to your pathetic attempts, Gaidin, which is why they fail...

====

Now back to the serious question, did they actually say the B-4 android was an inferior copy?
    Last edited by Infidel144; January 25, 2020 at 07:24 PM.

She has a sister.
    Alright.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamat View Post
    I know she did. And he painted a painting of her as well. And given the issues he faced with the first one, it's hard to see how he could have condoned the creation of a second one. I really hope all of this will be explained, especially the ethical issues at stake.
    If I recall right he was down to try again. Just more cautious about repeating catastrophic failure.

So the first part was the usual non-sequitur.
    You haven't established why the 24th Century is bound by 21st Century culture norms yet. Nor why would they be. Nor why should they be.

Now back to the serious question, did they actually say the B-4 android was an inferior copy?
    Nor have you watched the episode.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

You haven't established why the 24th Century is bound by 21st Century culture norms yet. Nor why would they be. Nor why should they be.
    Gaidin still failing to display anything resembling comprehension.

Nor have you watched the episode.
    Really. That's interesting to know. It's also an idiotic thing to say.
    Last edited by alhoon; January 26, 2020 at 05:20 AM. Reason: off topic (adds nothing)

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Any-way, without checking. She said the unit in the draw was a B-4 and an inferior copy, infering inferior to Data. I think.

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

True, and because of that, the transfer Data did in Nemesis was lost. Kids, back up your files.

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    Any-way, without checking. She said the unit in the draw was a B-4 and an inferior copy, infering inferior to Data. I think.
    Yet the B-4 was a prototype to, not a copy of, Data.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Perhaps she meant the version in the draw was an inferior copy of B-4. She was a bit ambiguous, maybe that'll come back later.

Really. That's interesting to know. It's also an idiotic thing to say.
    Watching the episode helps when you want to rant about minute details.

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    Perhaps she meant the version in the draw was an inferior copy of B-4. She was a bit ambiguous, maybe that'll come back later.
    Picard literally asks if it's B4 in the drawer and she nods. It's B4. It's not an inferior copy of B4. It's B4. Canonically it is B4.

Theorizing, B4 is probably how Maddox formed the fleshdroids. Based on fractal neuronic cloning he wouldn't need an entire piece of B4, just a bunch of legitimate neurons to experiment with the idea on before actually running something that would make up Dahj and Soji. And the basis for B4 is that he didn't have the hardware to support *most* of Data's positronic network. But enough for him to get something out of it, disappear, and work with.
    Last edited by Gaidin; January 26, 2020 at 10:34 AM.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

chriscase's Avatar Chairman Miao
    Civitate Patrician

Please remember to stick to the topic and avoid making comments about other members.
    Last edited by chriscase; January 27, 2020 at 07:02 PM.

Why is it that mysteries are always about something bad? You never hear there's a mystery, and then it's like, "Who made cookies?"
    - Demetri Martin

It's like someone's edgy fanfic adapted as an official Trek show. Nothing much to do with ye olde shows, in the grim darkness of the far future there's only grimdarkness.

Like, Picard has to explain to the interviewer that Romulans are people too and millions of them shouldn't be left to die? lol alright then.

The Romulan EMPIRE doesn't have enough ships to evacuate one planet? Did all the stars in the Empire go supernova, why were the refugees on Earth and Mars? Did every other federate world that was closer refuse to take them in? What, the writers forgot the Federation and Empire span hundreds of planets?

Eh, at least the pilot made me want to watch another episode.
    "People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do." -- Neil deGrasse Tyson

In Soviet Russia you want Uncle Sam.

Quote Originally Posted by Surgeon View Post
    The Romulan EMPIRE doesn't have enough ships to evacuate one planet? Did all the stars in the Empire go supernova, why were the refugees on Earth and Mars? Did every other federate world that was closer refuse to take them in? What, the writers forgot the Federation and Empire span hundreds of planets?
    Never let logic or canon get in the way of making a political statement.

Sounds like I'll pass on this. A pity though; 90s Trek sure has a lot of flaws, but it's still more interesting than the modern wannabe Star Wars cringe.

The klingons couldnt save their homeworld without reducing their military efforts, and we dont know If they got any other help. The romulans had a Coup like a decade before the Nova, and maybe they didnt deal with the whole crisis very well initially, being a police state that may value politics over science?

Maybe we should start teaching media literacy in schools, but why is the depth of criticism always plumbed by "this scifi show ist unrealistic!".

Star Trek has always been about the issues of the day. These werent even fundamentally different in roddenberrys time, but the times have also moved on. If there is a flaw in old trek, then it was exactly the thing that many are so enarmoured with: we fixed all our problems, no one really cares how. Racism is over, and all we need to do is show some allegorical Alien the error of their ways, by giving a short speech. "Be nice to each other, you are not so different. We did it, and we used to be very racist! But thats not how it works, is it. We cant just introduce allegory, and then never do anything with it. If declaring "thing bad" was enough to solve our problems, we wouldnt need to fix them."

Yeah, problems tend to be grim, and ST is more than gallavanting in space.

Quote Originally Posted by HannibalExMachina View Post
    Yeah, problems tend to be grim, and ST is more than gallavanting in space.
    And what the nostalgic viewers aren’t realizing is we have a serial show instead of an episodic show.

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    Never let logic or canon get in the way of making a political statement.
    And what statement is that?
    Optio, Legio I Latina

Diamat's Avatar VELUTI SI DEUS DARETUR

I just wish they would have written this a bit better. There is no way the United Federation of Planets would have refused to help the Romulans. It goes against the very nature of a multi-cultural entity such as the Federation. The Federation isn't Starfleet. I'm not sure the writers even know the difference.

Also, television or something approximating TV isn't supposed to exist anymore. Data himself said so in TNG:

I believe he means television, sir. That particular form of entertainment did not last much beyond the year two thousand forty.
    By trying to create these constant connections with today's conflicts, the writers are making the future look too much like today. It's one thing to draw parallels, but you want to do so in more sophisticated and uplifting ways.

1.yes, there is. there were reasons, mentioned in the show.

2. star trek always adresses issues of our present. there is no point in just telling us everything is good in the future, and so they have to actually talk about the reasons not everything is great.

can you refute that, or are we just not talking about the show this thread is about? i dont care if you dislike it, thats not a basis for discussion.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast