Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Picard

Default Re: Picard

I must spread some rep around Hann, sorry. But that post was awesome.

Every society changes. Every society evolves. Based on what happens no less. Crap happens in the Federation and the Federation changes. They’re not invulnerable. Hell we’ve seen them react to external war. Why not internal attacks?
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Diamat's Avatar VELUTI SI DEUS DARETUR

Second episode was so boring. I think I'm done with this show. Great if you like it, but I think I should just ignore this show.

My first thought when the Admiral tells Picard he can screw off.

Last edited by Gaidin; January 31, 2020 at 02:13 PM.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

does goerdi have a cameo? is he going to sabotage a starship?

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

If for nothing else, there's a Borg cube in play. Not sure if I care about Picard - Romulans - Synthetics. I just want the Borg. We'll see how that plays out..

God bless Stewart, but it feels like this came about 5 years too late.

Quote Originally Posted by HannibalExMachina View Post
    does goerdi have a cameo? is he going to sabotage a starship?
    So far as I know, only the Rikers are in any way involved, and then possibly in a limited fashion. Mostly to avoid dragging an extremely loyal crew that would dive in head first on request into a situation that could tarnish their earned reputations, story wise.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

dammit, the one time i want fan-service, typical.

Quote Originally Posted by HannibalExMachina View Post
    dammit, the one time i want fan-service, typical.
    Pfft. The two best characters from TNG and VOY are main cast. I’ve watched and read slower burns than this and walked away happily. Show’s fine so far. Give me new characters to mesh with the old and let the writers write I say.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Surgeon View Post
    It's like someone's edgy fanfic adapted as an official Trek show. Nothing much to do with ye olde shows, in the grim darkness of the far future there's only grimdarkness.

Like, Picard has to explain to the interviewer that Romulans are people too and millions of them shouldn't be left to die? lol alright then.

The Romulan EMPIRE doesn't have enough ships to evacuate one planet? Did all the stars in the Empire go supernova, why were the refugees on Earth and Mars? Did every other federate world that was closer refuse to take them in? What, the writers forgot the Federation and Empire span hundreds of planets?

Eh, at least the pilot made me want to watch another episode.
    Been a problem for pretty every star trek movie or show aside from maybe TOS and DS9. All too often it feels like the Federation or the their rival empires have but one world producing all their stuff and no real empire to speak of. So its not even lack of ships so the Romulans never noticed their star about to go supernova. How exactly did it out of the blue instead of on the typical time frame for a star [was is their home system or another nearby either one was easily planned for]? It would be a tad more coherent if you just another dooms day machine showed up or the Borg or whatever was killing the Borg in Voyager
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

When I'm 60, my kids will be moaning about how great all the Star Trek shows used to be, and why they can't make a new show as good as Picard. It's the same old story, generational blaming and bemoaning art you don't like. I've noticed doing it myself actually, having grown up in the 2000's and early 2010s, I simply don't like modern music and treat it with ill-deserved aversion. It reminds me of whenever car reviewers or mechanics moan about how they don't make "cars like they used to".

If you don't like the show, you don't like the show. If you like the older shows more, that's fine too. I guess I'm just tired of people blasting the show while putting its predecessors on a pedestal. Especially when there's only two episodes out, as opposed to the 79 that the original enjoys.

Quote Originally Posted by Love Mountain View Post
    When I'm 60, my kids will be moaning about how great all the Star Trek shows used to be, and why they can't make a new show as good as Picard. It's the same old story, generational blaming and bemoaning art you don't like. I've noticed doing it myself actually, having grown up in the 2000's and early 2010s, I simply don't like modern music and treat it with ill-deserved aversion. It reminds me of whenever car reviewers or mechanics moan about how they don't make "cars like they used to".

If you don't like the show, you don't like the show. If you like the older shows more, that's fine too. I guess I'm just tired of people blasting the show while putting its predecessors on a pedestal. Especially when there's only two episodes out, as opposed to the 79 that the original enjoys.
    Let’s talk about a blast wave from the Klingon moon that didn’t wreck the homeworld reaching all the way to Excelsior with enough power to throw people places and people have the nerve to whine about realism. Trek is characters and they sometimes throw science sounding terms around.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Love Mountain View Post

Yes everyone is susceptible a bit of golden ageism. On cars well They don't hitting a deer back 1988 with old mustang did not create a crazy amount of work that you wife's new BMW up to eye balls in sensors did. Probably progress thier but not to my wallet.

On Picard I've only seen the first since everyone in the family is a trek fan but are out of town so I have to wait. I not trying to criticize but it seems a bit lazy writing to have single homeward disasters that have empire wide repercussions and no locals noticed at the time. I mean let's say a modest asteroid destroyed Rome (city) in 100 AD. I really don't think would have seen Romans asking Parthia for aid or becoming refugees in Persia. To answer Gaidin its not actual realism I demand, but just not too much lazy story telling.
    Last edited by conon394; February 04, 2020 at 08:01 AM.

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Diamat View Post
    I just wish they would have written this a bit better. There is no way the United Federation of Planets would have refused to help the Romulans. It goes against the very nature of a multi-cultural entity such as the Federation. The Federation isn't Starfleet. I'm not sure the writers even know the difference.

Also, television or something approximating TV isn't supposed to exist anymore. Data himself said so in TNG:

By trying to create these constant connections with today's conflicts, the writers are making the future look too much like today. It's one thing to draw parallels, but you want to do so in more sophisticated and uplifting ways.
    This is a pretty interesting rebuttal I've seen to the thought's on the Federation behavior on Picard.

Last edited by saxdude; February 04, 2020 at 11:55 AM.

Well, I'm a big fan of Patrick Stewart. His Star Track role was one of my personal favorites, and possibly the only reason I continued to watch the series when it first was presented. His return probably means I'll give it a "watch", regardless of what anyone says in the current 'political correctness' atmosphere. I don't think any of this stuff is much more than entertainment and an escape from reality for a few minutes.

I suggest taking it for what it is, a show which one can watch or not watch.
    "The trouble with facts is that there are so many of them." - Samuel McChord Crothers

Seen both episodes, I won't bother complaining about minor issues like the lame modern/movie'ish intro, The REAL problem is very clear, it's the way Pat Stewart is acting out Picard this time around.

The Picard from TNG was a confident, stern Officer who commanded respect, the officers around him were 100% confident in his every move, and his enemies feared him... He never had time for games and was always about his business, HELL, it took him 7 seasons on the last episode to finally bang Dr Crusher and sit down play Poker with the boyz!

This new Picard is an emotionally frail man who seems unsure of his next step, I get he's older and wiser and that has to show, but it seems they've completely neutered the man. I don't know if Stewart is too old to play a classic "Mean Picard" or if these are choices that the studio made, but this new Picard almost literally feels like a whole new character to me....

Picard & Sisqo were and always will be PEAK STAR TREK, but I swear though, when or if they bring back Worf they better not fck that up too...

This new Picard does remind me of someone though, and it's this guy here ..

Last edited by Sagat; February 06, 2020 at 02:24 AM.

an old picard, having been through a lifetime of conflict and trauma, seeing all he has seen, and he has changed?

boy, we better suspend all character development, lest the people notice its not the past anymore, cant have that, people liked their version of the past! older, wiser, but please still kicking ass or at least taking names, thats the wise thing!

ok, but seriously, you realize that doddering old picard in the finale wasnt just comic relief, right?

^ Yea I guess I must not realize anything because I don't understand "Character development" ?? ughh... you definitely don't sound like you're regurgitating a million generic social media posts.

Bottom line is, you simply don't go from "Badass Captain known across the galaxy" to.... "Unsure nice old man who just wants to help out"

And to humor whatever point you're trying to make, If they are trying to portray an "Old Picard" who's disillusioned with Starfleet, they're terrible at it.... we've already seen that already happen on TNG, and it was done extremely well...

Blog Entries

I think what is infered in the first two episodes and further explained in the third, Picard becoming an outcast, likely had more of a traumatic effect on the man than anything he previously went through. At his age he's probalby more concerned with not sharting after a cheeky curry than saving the Federation from Romulan plots. Yet here he is again, at the sharp end.

They're setting him up to be the catalyst that brings together an elite team to solve the problem. I hope he's actually relevent and not just the old codger of the team.

At least he got to say 'Engage.'

The other part of the story, Soji, is shaping up nicely. I'm still hoping for a Borg incursion.

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    I think what is infered in the first two episodes and further explained in the third, Picard becoming an outcast, likely had more of a traumatic effect on the man than anything he previously went through. At his age he's probalby more concerned with not sharting after a cheeky curry than saving the Federation from Romulan plots. Yet here he is again, at the sharp end.

They're setting him up to be the catalyst that brings together an elite team to solve the problem. I hope he's actually relevent and not just the old codger of the team.

At least he got to say 'Engage.'

The other part of the story, Soji, is shaping up nicely. I'm still hoping for a Borg incursion.
    Not a fan of voyager and not because of Janeyway - just meh. But I though they killed the Borg?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Not a fan of voyager and not because of Janeyway - just meh. But I though they killed the Borg?
    Janeway infected the Queen which destroyed her and changed the collective. It's hinted in Picard that some catastrophy occured and parts of the collective were severed, as with the cube the Romulans are working on.

Spoiler for Theory
    I'm guessing the parts of the collective which were severed but not diectly infected can revive the collective, if 'something' happens. That 'something' could be finding a new queen, a position maybe a perfect synth could fill......

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast