Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which 90s movie had the most unintentionally funny trailer?

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Default Which 90s movie had the most unintentionally funny trailer?

Bruce Campbell's scared face and scream for the win! Also, Tim Curry's funny Romanian accent for the win.

I think this trailer and movie, based on Michael Crichton's novel Congo (you know, the same guy who wrote Jurassic Park), is taking itself seriously but is in my opinion very unintentionally funny, in many ways. The casting is just perfect. The special effects are cheesy 90s goodness. And back then even the film critics Siskel and Ebert thought the film was supposed to be funny. This particular trailer, though, tries its best to portray an action adventure sci-fi thriller. I was in stitches by the end of it, in pure nostalgic ecstasy.

So tell me, which 90s movie trailer do you think is the most unintentionally funny of them all?

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Which 90s movie had the most unintentionally funny trailer?

I am so sorry
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

There can be only one... - the crapfest known as Mortal Kombat 2: Annihilation.
    @1.18:

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post

Bruce Campbell's scared face and scream for the win!
    I hadn't seen the trailer (or the movie for that matter) but mocking Bruce "Shop smart, shop S-mart" Campbell is not cool. Not cool at all, dude.

Under the stern but loving patronage of Nihil.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Well...

Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Bruce Campbell's scared face and scream for the win! Also, Tim Curry's funny Romanian accent for the win.

I think this trailer and movie, based on Michael Crichton's novel Congo (you know, the same guy who wrote Jurassic Park), is taking itself seriously but is in my opinion very unintentionally funny, in many ways. The casting is just perfect. The special effects are cheesy 90s goodness. And back then even the film critics Siskel and Ebert thought the film was supposed to be funny. This particular trailer, though, tries its best to portray an action adventure sci-fi thriller. I was in stitches by the end of it, in pure nostalgic ecstasy.

So tell me, which 90s movie trailer do you think is the most unintentionally funny of them all?
    I don't care how bad you think that movie is, that movie was awesome. Ernie Hudson as your great white hunter for this trip though he happens to be black was the best casting choice ever. And the actual book was one of the few pieces of decent writing out there from him. Along with 13th Warrior. Though 13th Warrior I loved more because people didn't understand that it's "sources" were part of the fictional writing itself(at the beginning of the book there were quotes from fictional PhDs or something). Also, the story was fun anyway.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Chris View Post

I am so sorry
    "Open the door, step on the floor, everybody want the dinosaur!"

Wholesome kids movie 90s rap is the worst, the absolute worst. However, Chris, I have to tell you something, I think they were trying to be funny in this trailer, in the lamest way possible, of course. I laughed, but only because this movie is the most terrible thing to come out of the 90s, perhaps even more horrifying than the Super Mario Brothers movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximinus Thrax View Post

@1.18:
    I laughed immediately, especially at the "new haircut" part they decided to randomly throw in there. WINNER!

Quote Originally Posted by Visna View Post
    I hadn't seen the trailer (or the movie for that matter) but mocking Bruce "Shop smart, shop S-mart" Campbell is not cool. Not cool at all, dude.
    Hah! Army of Darkness. I'd post a trailer for that, but it is intentionally funny, so...

Let's get something straight, Visna. I love Bruce Campbell so much I consider him a long lost relative, an uncle perhaps, and member of my family. As my assumed flesh and blood, I am allowed to mock him all the live long day.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    Well...

Technically not a 90s flick, since it was released in 2000.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Jeez I can't believe this move came out just a couple years before something like The Fifth Element. The special effects are light years apart.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

STOP EATING MY SESAME CAKES
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Technically not a 90s flick, since it was released in 2000.
    Battlefield Earth transcends trivial things like time
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post
    Jeez I can't believe this move came out just a couple years before something like The Fifth Element. The special effects are light years apart.
    Good point; Fifth Element rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    Battlefield Earth transcends trivial things like time
    You know what? You've convinced me; it gets a pass.

Also batman and Robin trailer.... allthough im on the fence if that is suposedly to be funny or not, i guess that is what makes batman and Robin... that and bat Niples Or maybe they are trying to be funny, but failing horribly, and because of that, one can actualy laugh at it.... quite the paradox here....

Also this is pure gold in my book....

Another pure gold....

Another gold moment wich im not sure if it is meant to be funny, but it sure is gold... of how bad it is.
    ( couldnt find a trailer though...)
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; March 09, 2015 at 01:33 PM.

There is that TMNT movie.

"Go ninja- go ninja- Go!" soundtrack by Vanilla Ice

MacCarthy's Avatar Miles

Could put this in the worst actor with one the best actors pairing topic. Don't you love how top notch talent flocks to Seagal like moths to a flame.

So Green Peace just got serious in this movie. Sending in one their best.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximinus Thrax View Post

@1.18:

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF7t91gbSf8

Grosse point blank...

Because after the opening shot of the Ambassador bridge its basically Hollywood blank. Nobody or nothing looks like, talks like or has any feel of the place of or the wider region. I am not sure if that is funny or just eye roll but I recall laughing at the trailer in the theater. I mean really they could not have made a car chase happen on Big Beaver and play that for a laugh... as in wow it was slow had to drive all the way across the state to get to climax. I mean anything to make me feel that anyone involved in the show who actually been to grosse point and Detroit.
    Last edited by conon394; May 18, 2020 at 01:28 PM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF7t91gbSf8

Grosse point blank...

Because after the opening shot of the Ambassador bridge its basically Hollywood blank. Nobody or nothing looks like, talks like or has any feel of the place of or the wider region. I am not sure if that funny or just eye roll but I recall laughing at the trailer in the theater. I mean really they could have made a car chase happen on Big Beaver and play that for a laugh... as in wow it was slow had to drive all the way across to the state to get to climax. I mean anything to make me feel that anyone involved in the show who actually been to grosse point and Detroit.
    That actually looks amazing, hahah.

It is THE BEST.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

OK another one.

Zardoz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbGVIdA3dx0

How much coke and speed or LSD did Boorman have do with the production company to get this made is beyond speculation but seeing Sean Connery in a nut sack and bandoleer is endlessly funny.

---

All Apologies

Forgot the 90's criteria
    Last edited by conon394; May 18, 2020 at 03:20 PM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Lord of the Drunk Penguin's Avatar Tribunus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast