Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Picard

Diamat's Avatar VELUTI SI DEUS DARETUR

Default Picard

What are your thoughts on the show thus far?

As a big Star Trek fan, I looked forward to this show, but I held my excitement in containment, given the disaster of Discovery. I watched the first episode today, and I have mixed feelings.

Stewart's acting was great as usual. Something just didn't feel right, though. I'm still not able to put my finger on it. But the show doesn't feel like Star Trek at all. It started out almost like an action movie. Character development was happening too quickly. It all felt rushed. I really hope they slow down the pacing and focus more on individual characters. I did enjoy Picard's visions of Data - it made me emotional. The rest, not so much. And of course, there are a bunch of little things any Star Trek fan would probably criticize, like the fact that there is mass media that is exactly like today's.

Since this was just the first episode, it's too early to tell whether this show is a train wreck, but I don't really have a good feeling.

Default Re: Picard

How was Discovery a disaster?
    Optio, Legio I Latina

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Wait, hold on, theres a NEW STAR TREK?!

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Quote Originally Posted by Gromovnik View Post
    How was Discovery a disaster?
    If I have to explain it, then there is no point. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I wish I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    Wait, hold on, theres a NEW STAR TREK?!
    I wish.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamat View Post
    Stewart's acting was great as usual. Something just didn't feel right, though. I'm still not able to put my finger on it. But the show doesn't feel like Star Trek at all. It started out almost like an action movie. Character development was happening too quickly. It all felt rushed. I really hope they slow down the pacing and focus more on individual characters. I did enjoy Picard's visions of Data - it made me emotional. The rest, not so much. And of course, there are a bunch of little things any Star Trek fan would probably criticize, like the fact that there is mass media that is exactly like today's.

Since this was just the first episode, it's too early to tell whether this show is a train wreck, but I don't really have a good feeling.
    You're stuck in nostalgia, imo.

I'll wait until the whole season is out to make a final call, but the first episode was solid.

After all the stuff the Federation has been through the press’ attitude makes a lot of sense.

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

Character development? The girl is the one new main character we meet, how much development do you excpect over 45 minutes?? This is setting up the stakes, the backdrop etc, are you sure you arent a bit reaching here?
    Last edited by HannibalExMachina; January 24, 2020 at 05:13 PM.

Also new generation television tv. I’m sorry but androids should have been capable of this A LONG TIME AGO.

You mean that they should've been able to activate their superpower mode once a black bag is put over their heads? And yet despite their superpowers, apparently Romulans can now spit acid at Androids to destroy them, lol. And whatever happened to Data's real daughter, Lal? I hope they will address this cannon issue.

Lal died in the episode she was introduced and her memories were integrated with Data. Who is also dead. I fail to see any issues, albeit I haven't started watching Picard.
    Is there a legal way to watch this without TV or making a trial CBS account?

Quote Originally Posted by Diamat View Post
    You mean that they should've been able to activate their superpower mode once a black bag is put over their heads?
    No. That kind of fighting. I'm pretty indifferent as to how they might be activated for their programming. Welcome to the world of if then else.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamos View Post
    Lal died in the episode she was introduced and her memories were integrated with Data. Who is also dead. I fail to see any issues, albeit I haven't started watching Picard.
    She has a sister.

Amazon prime.
    Last edited by Gaidin; January 25, 2020 at 03:42 AM.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamos View Post
    I know she did. And he painted a painting of her as well. And given the issues he faced with the first one, it's hard to see how he could have condoned the creation of a second one. I really hope all of this will be explained, especially the ethical issues at stake.

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

given that

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

we are being told cmdr. maddox (the guy from measure of a man who wants to disect data) worked on biological androids and then dissapeared, im sure they will go into it. and this show is dealing with ethical issues from the get go, so that also seems to be a given.

btw, you did notice that she was a fleshdroid, hence she could be destroyed by acid, right?

i wonder if borg tech comes into this, the borg queen gave data some flesh to tempt him in first contact. also, if tha romulans want to make these guys and use them as infiltrators, and killing the girl is just them getting rid of free running potential evidence.

Last edited by HannibalExMachina; January 25, 2020 at 07:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HannibalExMachina View Post
    given that

we are being told cmdr. maddox (the guy from measure of a man who wants to disect data) worked on biological androids and then dissapeared, im sure they will go into it. and this show is dealing with ethical issues from the get go, so that also seems to be a given.

btw, you did notice that she was a fleshdroid, hence she could be destroyed by acid, right?

i wonder if borg tech comes into this, the borg queen gave data some flesh to tempt him in first contact. also, if tha romulans want to make these guys and use them as infiltrators, and killing the girl is just them getting rid of free running potential evidence.

Diamat isn't exactly taking the foreshadowing into account yet. If he ever does. He's just a bit too nostalgic. I thought it was a great play on one of their actual good season 1 TNG episodes and how to expand it into something much bigger much less something that might actually shift them societally, hence why you might see the reporter treat Picard the way she did.

This is why I think there's just a bit more character development happening than the fleshdroids. If you've ever watched 24 you get used to the idea of character development mostly happening off screen and having to catch the events that happen between seasons and how that effects the characters. Mostly for other shows that have a bigger world its about the events that happen between shows. Ala Romulus and Mars and how it effects Picard and Societies and how it leads into the characters and societal actions.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

I liked it, as a first episode. It had a weight that Star Trek doesn't generally have due to Stewart's age and vulnerability. I was hoping Picard would give him another meaty role to play with in the way Logan did. Maybe it will, I actually was a little worried for him when they started running up those stairs.

But.

Why would a Romulan have an Irish accent.
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; January 25, 2020 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post

Why would a Romulan have an Irish accent.
    Who else would you have as a house keeper for an english lord...

Did I catch it correctly that B-4 was an inferior copy?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel144 View Post
    Who else would you have as a house keeper for an english lord...
    He's French..

He's French..
    Not with that accent he aint.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel144 View Post
    Not with that accent he aint.
    Pretty sure it's explained French is a dead language by Picard's life time, but he was born in France. I'm also fairly sure his house in this show, is in France..

Pretty sure it's explained French is a dead language by Picard's life time, but he was born in France. I'm also fairly sure his house in this show, is in France..
    I don't recall that, yes and yes (colonizing France).

But he still aint french with that accent.
    Last edited by Infidel144; January 25, 2020 at 06:45 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast