Thread: Names of generals in recruitment pool

Default Names of generals in recruitment pool

Good day to everyone

Ok so I created a new startpos with the Assembly Kit for main_attila campaign with a few minor only changes. Then, when I started a new campaign, the generals in the recruitment pool had the same models but different names

Playing as Eastern Rome for example you always get a general with the name Gaius Barba in the recruitment pool, but with my new startpos he is now called Vindonius-something.

That's not really an issue, I know! But I feel like some of the new names are a bit unfortunate (for example the Vindonius one, because there is already one Vindonius stationed in Constantinople)

What I have tried so far:
    1) Tried to find a startpos table in the Assembly kit concerning characters in recruitment pool. (they are not listed like existing characters)
    2) Tried to find the characters with ESF but seems like they don't "exist" there either
    3) Tried to change the random seed "ranseed" in my startpos AND the vanilla startpos before creating a new startpos in hope of that a different seed will produce different names

There HAS to be something that determines their name because it is always the same no matter how many new games you start and it is also the same no matter how many startpos I create

So what can I do to change names of generals and agents that are in the recruitment pool at the start of a campaign?
    Last edited by Athanasios55; January 23, 2020 at 03:39 AM.

Souron's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Names of generals in recruitment pool

Quote Originally Posted by Athanasios55 View Post
    Good day to everyone

Ok so I created a new startpos with the Assembly Kit for main_attila campaign with a few minor only changes. Then, when I started a new campaign, the generals in the recruitment pool had the same models but different names

Playing as Eastern Rome for example you always get a general with the name Gaius Barba in the recruitment pool, but with my new startpos he is now called Vindonius-something.

That's not really an issue, I know! But I feel like some of the new names are a bit unfortunate (for example the Vindonius one, because there is already one Vindonius stationed in Constantinople)

What I have tried so far:
    1) Tried to find a startpos table in the Assembly kit concerning characters in recruitment pool. (they are not listed like existing characters)
    2) Tried to find the characters with ESF but seems like they don't "exist" there either
    3) Tried to change the random seed "ranseed" in my startpos AND the vanilla startpos before creating a new startpos in hope of that a different seed will produce different names

There HAS to be something that determines their name because it is always the same no matter how many new games you start and it is also the same no matter how many startpos I create

So what can I do to change names of generals and agents that are in the recruitment pool at the start of a campaign?
    I wonder, its been a while since i played atilla. are you seeing the exact same genrals ever time in the exact same order or is it a random selection but of very simular names?

Taking Thrones of Britannia back to pre-roman Britian

Yea, for some reasons the frequency of some names is nightmaringly high.

But that's a different topic, I was mostly interested in the names in the recruitment pool when creating a new startpos. I noticed they change, but I don't know why they only change once after you build the first startpos and then remain the same for all new startpos you build with BOB. And because one name in there annoys me, I wanted to change it
    Last edited by Athanasios55; May 25, 2020 at 07:07 AM.

Souron's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Athanasios55 View Post
    Yea, for some reasons the frequency of some names is nightmaringly high.

But that's a different topic, I was mostly interested in the names in the recruitment pool when creating a new startpos. I noticed they change, but I don't know why they only change once after you build the first startpos and then remain the same for all new startpos you build with BOB. And because one name in there annoys me, I wanted to change it
    Oh i see. well a super easy fix for that is to load up the names tables and just rename it!!! but thats interesting about the names with the start_pos build. i was under the impression it was just entierly random depending on the names in the group. didnt realise it was a seed based thing

Taking Thrones of Britannia back to pre-roman Britian

I noticed that in the startpos the recruitment pool is empty but in savegames you can see the recruitment pool displays the generals and you can change their name from there.

But that won't do since you can change the names after recruitment anyway in your savegame.

What I am trying to find is how the names are generated in the new startpos (created by BOB) and why they are the same every time but different than the ones of the vanilla startpos. Seed number doesn't seem to affect this, I tried changing it...
    Last edited by Athanasios55; May 25, 2020 at 07:28 AM.