Thread: Roman General Gone Rebel?

Grimmy's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Roman General Gone Rebel?

Ok.

It was early game. I had cleared out the rebel stacks around my northern cities. I had taken Rhegium (sp?) and beaten back all the mini-micro stacks of Eperiotii in the boot heal.

I had a General family member, high loyalty, in command of my single maneuver army, dropped a siege on Tarantium (sp?) and next turn, my faction leader died and this general with rebel with my entire standing field army.

Is that WAD?

I'm sorry I can't post the save game. I have a habit of clearing out all the save games when I quit in a voodoo effort to prevent corrupted saves. So, it's gone :/

Didn't think I might need it until I decide to ask "wth?" on this.

Default Re: Roman General Gone Rebel?

Rebellions of high loyalty generals aren't common, but sadly can still happen if your FL has low authority, which as the Romans and a new FL at the same time is more likely than not. From my observations, however, rebellions are even more likely if your general is in foreign territory. Sending an agent such as spy with an army may also reduce this chance.

Thanks.

More chore work and lost turns to stack up waiting for the FM authority issue.

Added to the Imperium issue. And the basic general loyalty issue.

And the elections. And winter in general.

Im gonna go start a game and just leave everyone in Rome and see how many turns I can get up to before being over run.

Well, the idea is that you need to manage things like loyalty carefully - can you not choose your heir to try and make sure your FLs have high authority? Plus things like keeping the FL in your capital and making sure they have some military experience will boost their authority as well. Spies help reduce risk of rebellion too, but honestly the chance is always there. Which is as it should be, imo, rebellious generals were a thorn in the side of every conceivable faction in EBII's timeframe.

I think it's a reasonably well-designed system; if you play well you can minimise the risk but the threat of revolt is always there. If you play badly (or get very very unlucky with a terrible FL) then it can hamstring you. Ofc it's frustrating when it happens but I think the mod is best enjoyed by putting yourself into a calm, methodical mindset of rolling with the punches instead of just map painting ad infinitum.

At the start of the game, there's an actual Roman rebel in Rhegion. It happened.

I highly recommend using your FL and FH in battles to help them build up authority. Now, this might be somewhat complicated as Rome given the Imperium thing, but it's not that huge of a penalty. On top of that Roman leaders have a much harder time building up authority in first place compared to any other faction, You can get around it.

Ok.

I used my FH in all the battles prior to this rebellion. He had several stars, solid confidence and maxed influence.

The FH lost Imperium. I had another general with solid loyalty and authority that had Imperium. So, I give him the troops and he goes to Taras.

Yes. This is the very first years of the game. Not a whole hella lot of time to "manage" stats on the family members.

So, while that general is right at the gate of Taras, first year of siege so I can break in and attack, the FL dies, the FM is the new FL and has *zero* authority. None. Nada. Zip. Zilch.

the general rebelled. Lost my army.

Waited two full years (eight slooow turns) and the FL now has 2 authority and yet to get Imperium again.

Yikes. Sometimes you just get unlucky. Usually if I have military-veteran FHs, they become competent FLs with reasonably high authority after a few years in the capital to solidify their rule.

(I always try to keep my FL in the capital, he seems to gain the best traits and highest authority that way, but only if he had some experience under his belt previously.)

I do wish there was a more transparent loyalty system like in Attila. With Med2 there will always be a certain degree of randomness.

I lost my best FM and my best army to rebellion. I was quite sad.
    My second best army had the ugly job of putting them down.
    Imagine the duel on Mustafar, but with spears.

It happens. If anything, the story you see unfold is richer because it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    I lost my best FM and my best army to rebellion. I was quite sad.
    My second best army had the ugly job of putting them down.
    Imagine the duel on Mustafar, but with spears.

It happens. If anything, the story you see unfold is richer because it happens.
    Heh. Yeah.

I'm just whining.

I do appreciate the massive work done by the devs of this mod.