Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ports and trade fleets are bugged it seems

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Default Re: Ports and trade fleets are bugged it seems

Quote Originally Posted by Nordlaender View Post
    I'm sorry. What do you mean by a "working version"? The photos or screenshots I made are from my SS 6.4 mod working on the campaign map.

Can you be a little more exact as to what you want me to show you?

Also, I notice that in your set-up above, the wharves all require additional buildings to be present. Are those buildings present?
    The ERROR message in the bottom left corner means that the script has not been loaded due to an important error in this script. It may impact on the performance of the buildings, I guess. The additional building is needed for the wharf to be built, but has no impact on capabilities (so no impact on the trade fleets).

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    The ERROR message in the bottom left corner means that the script has not been loaded due to an important error in this script. It may impact on the performance of the buildings, I guess. The additional building is needed for the wharf to be built, but has no impact on capabilities (so no impact on the trade fleets).
    Hmmm... I have not received any ERROR messages regarding the trade fleets or ports in my mod of SS 6.4, neither in the system.log nor on the campaign map.

Can you show a working version of those 4 fleets? ERROR here is shown - fortunately, Stainless Steel is programmed to show when the script is not working.
    I had RR/RC 2.0 lingering, so I renamed the folder to british_isles and used the console on Venice.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Note I am not dumping the data folder - I am renaming the root folder of the mod. From there, you have 3 options for running it:
    1) the steam drop down menu;
    2) a shortcut to medieval2.exe with launch options (when using a shortcut I put the original folder name in the shortcut name to make undoing this simple - [modname]_[launching folder]);
    These are the least hassle but use your root medieval2.preference, you also can miss out on extras that require a launcher; RR/RC has an opponent formation bias you can select for example, I think in some mods it impacts music?

3) create a shortcut to the bat/exe (after you've renamed the folder, otherwise the shortcut points in the wrong place)
    - change in the mod's config file, the mod path in
    [features]
    mod = X

and
    [log]
    to = X
    - check that the bat file is universal, some old ones (like retrofit, in my previous screenshots) have a specific path and you need to right click->edit->change the path. If there's an exe that isn't universal you're kind of hardstuck, haven't seen that just yet
    Currently playing JLMP's vanilla kingdoms this way, no issues

When you want to get rid of it, you rename the root folder to the original name and rename the new mod to the kingdoms name.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jadli View Post
    This is interesting... curious, if for example you have a save (or a hotseat) made in one of the folders, and then sometimes played in the renamed folder, whther it changes each time, or it stays as in the folder where it was created?
    Saves are stored in the mod folder/saves (for example crusades/saves), when it gets renamed (crusades->retrofit) the saves are thus transferred (retrofit/saves) and there is no issue.
    Edit: I may have misunderstood what you meant - are you asking if the trade behaviour changes depending on how you load a save? If so, yes. But I have noticed that if you load in one way a save that was created the other way (creating the save in retrofit and loading in crusades as well as vice versa), the victory condition tga in the faction overview window disappears. So I am not entirely convinced it is save compatible to create a game one way and load it the other.
    Last edited by Artorath; January 23, 2022 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorath View Post
    I had RR/RC 2.0 lingering, so I renamed the folder to british_isles and used the console on Venice.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Well, you're showing that indeed 4 export fleets are possible, as Nordlaender had shown before. This is a puzzle to me why I cannot replicate it.

Hmmm... I have not received any ERROR messages regarding the trade fleets or ports in my mod of SS 6.4, neither in the system.log nor on the campaign map.
    In your pic in the bottom left corner there's ERROR message in red, in your UI. In the SS it signifies that the script.txt is not loaded, but you may have changed something so it may not matter after all.

Well, you're showing that indeed 4 export fleets are possible, as Nordlaender had shown before. This is a puzzle to me why I cannot replicate it.

In your pic in the bottom left corner there's ERROR message in red, in your UI. In the SS it signifies that the script.txt is not loaded, but you may have changed something so it may not matter after all.

Oh wow! I never noticed that before. I didn't know it was a word. Just thought it was some kind of design. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

I have no idea what it means, but I will look for it again. I did have a problem with a merchant standing too close to a princess that made the game crash, but I don't think that was it. I will check again and see if it is still there.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Nordlaender; January 24, 2022 at 03:21 PM.

Uhh... you're right. It appears there at the start of every campaign, regardless of faction, and stays there turn after turn. I don't know what should go there or if it has any effect on the game. I cannot find a specific reference to it in the system.log, so...

Guess I'll have to live with it.

Uhh... you're right. It appears there at the start of every campaign, regardless of faction, and stays there turn after turn. I don't know what should go there or if it has any effect on the game. I cannot find a specific reference to it in the system.log, so...

Guess I'll have to live with it.
    If your script works, then it's ok. Otherwise - I cannot imagine how does your game look like with scripts.

To be clear: you are saying you cannot replicate it with the alternative launch strategy (kingdoms-named folder)? Or you cannot replicate it with a normal launch?
    I gave comparative screenshots in my first post because how a mod is run on Steam is a reliable predictor of the trade behaviour for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorath View Post
    To be clear: you are saying you cannot replicate it with the alternative launch strategy (kingdoms-named folder)? Or you cannot replicate it with a normal launch?
    I gave comparative screenshots in my first post because how a mod is run on Steam is a reliable predictor of the trade behaviour for me.
    With a normal launch of a mod. I can't understand how putting anything in a kingdoms named folder would impact on parameters in a mod...

I can't understand how putting anything in a kingdoms named folder would impact on parameters in a mod...
    because CA has unfortunately made/patched the Steam exe to act that way, it's like an engine switch
    Quote Originally Posted by Jojo00182 View Post
    The game checks your modfolder name wether you are playing one of the four dlcs.
    And if you do from i what i can tell so far two things happen slighty different.
    1. The port trade fleet thing
    2. Something with the siege hold_out times is slighty differently calculated (so +/- one turn)
    just use bare geomod and the console to test it yourself, it won't take very long

Today I was reading this thread aswell as other related threads to this sea_trade buildings (merchant wharf line of buildings).
    As far as I understood no one has found 100% working solution or fix for this bug. All we have is mere ramblings where one claims that it is working for him via xy method. I repeat, that is what I understood by reading topics. If I am wrong, I apologize.
    I tested this, using bare_geomod, totalvanillab and SSHIP. In all trials port lines provide additional trade fleet instead of sea_trade building line.
    So, my question is, is it safe to assume that sea_trade building line in EDB can be deleted/renamed/reused for other purposes?

Thank You in advance for response.

Links to threads I have read:
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/4700/...0562416081331/
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...hant-Wharf-Bug
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...trade-question
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...an-it-be-fixed
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...1-Trade-fleets

P.S. Not all posted threads are directly related to aforementioned bug but it is brought up during the discussion.

From my side, I may say that in the SSHIP I plan to delete this building entirely, given that there's 24 buildings limit and the effects of the building may be included in the port building itself.

From my side, I may say that in the SSHIP I plan to delete this building entirely, given that there's 24 buildings limit and the effects of the building may be included in the port building itself.
    @Jurand of Cracow

That was my reasoning aswell. Thank You for answer.

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Jojo00182 View Post
    I was about to comment that, nice to see that someone else already tested it.
    The game checks your modfolder name wether you are playing one of the four dlcs.
    And if you do from i what i can tell so far two things happen slighty different.
    1. The port trade fleet thing
    2. Something with the siege hold_out times is slighty differently calculated (so +/- one turn)
    I checked financial overview, it seems that apart from trade, "Corruption and Other" is also slightly different (tho maybe corruption can be somewhat scaled by money from trade?)
    Last edited by Jadli; January 07, 2023 at 04:47 PM.

Finally got around to the CD version, it appearantly does not have that distinction its always uses the building capability i think.

I just noticed something while working on my mod using Gigantus' Bare Geomod. It appears that you can have more than 4 incoming trade fleets. I don't know the exact limit (if there is one) however. Also, it might be wise to not build a port at a nearby castle in order to ensure that incoming trade fleets go to the city of your choice for maximum trade income. It's just a thought. Here is a screenshot of my Turkish port in Iconium, which has 5 incoming trade fleets:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5 Sea Imports.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	374.9 KB 
ID:	368857

Do we know how the engine choses the regions where the trade lines go to and from?

I only have a theory, and that is that the engine will choose the port that generates the most base trade income for that resource, but it may not take into account the governor's trait influence over trade income.

For example, a castle port in a region that does not have any resources will attract more trade fleets than a city with several resources of its own. I could be completely wrong about this, though.

Quote Originally Posted by CIvIIIFan View Post
    Today I was reading this thread aswell as other related threads to this sea_trade buildings (merchant wharf line of buildings).
    As far as I understood no one has found 100% working solution or fix for this bug. All we have is mere ramblings where one claims that it is working for him via xy method. I repeat, that is what I understood by reading topics. If I am wrong, I apologize.
    I tested this, using bare_geomod, totalvanillab and SSHIP. In all trials port lines provide additional trade fleet instead of sea_trade building line.
    So, my question is, is it safe to assume that sea_trade building line in EDB can be deleted/renamed/reused for other purposes?

Thank You in advance for response.

Links to threads I have read:
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/4700/...0562416081331/
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...hant-Wharf-Bug
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...trade-question
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...an-it-be-fixed
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...1-Trade-fleets

P.S. Not all posted threads are directly related to aforementioned bug but it is brought up during the discussion.

Hey! I just discovered in my Bare Geomod the same thing you encountered. The Sea Trade line does NOT add any additional trade fleets, ONLY the port line, and it matters not what you script in. It is absolutely hardcoded.

I think you can definitely delete or repurpose the Sea Trade line if you want to. I removed the "trade_fleet" bonuses and added "population_growth_bonus" to each building along with the additional trade goods bonus. I think the line is definitely worth keeping since it can increase your city's trade income substantially. If you remove it, you must also modify many other files that refer to that line, so it's a real pain to do that, as I learned when I deleted the city_watch. I had to make changes in numerous other files as well, but it is finally gone, and good riddance. What a stupid building.

Good luck!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123