Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ports and trade fleets are bugged it seems

Default Re: Ports and trade fleets are bugged it seems

No matter what I did, I was not able to get beyond 4 trade export fleets, so I believe it is hardcoded to stop at 4. I have no idea what limit, if any, is applied to incoming trade fleets (sea imports). I suspect that may be limited only by available ports and buildings of other factions in the vicinity, but I'm not sure.

Also, I am using the Steam version of Kingdoms, not just the vanilla MTW2. Sorry about that.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

I cannot replicate your results. I have the highest levels of port and wharf, with both having trade_fleet 4 , and the outcome is: 4 import fleets, and 3 export.
    I'm also using the Steam version.

I wonder how does your result is related to the fact that the script.txt does not work. And whether the lack of more import fleets is somehow related? I haven't seen more than 4 import fleets, so maybe you can have 4 of either, but the other would be only 3?

Can you show the set of buildings that you've got in Constantinople?

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    I cannot replicate your results. I have the highest levels of port and wharf, with both having trade_fleet 4 , and the outcome is: 4 import fleets, and 3 export.
    I'm also using the Steam version.

I wonder how does your result is related to the fact that the script.txt does not work. And whether the lack of more import fleets is somehow related? I haven't seen more than 4 import fleets, so maybe you can have 4 of either, but the other would be only 3?

Can you show the set of buildings that you've got in Constantinople?
    Sure. After I realized that 4 was the absolute limit, and also that the top limit must be stated by each facility, I set it up as follows:

building sea_trade
    {
    levels merchants_wharf warehouse docklands
    {
    merchants_wharf city requires factions { northern_european, middle_eastern, eastern_european, greek, southern_european, } and building_present_min_level port port
    {
    capability
    {
    trade_fleet 2
    trade_base_income_bonus bonus 1 requires not event_counter is_the_ai 1
    trade_base_income_bonus bonus 2 requires event_counter is_the_ai 1
    }
    material wooden
    construction 4
    cost 2000
    settlement_min city
    upgrades
    {
    warehouse
    }
    }
    warehouse city requires factions { northern_european, middle_eastern, eastern_european, greek, southern_european, } and building_present_min_level port shipwright
    {
    capability
    {
    trade_fleet 3
    trade_base_income_bonus bonus 2 requires not event_counter is_the_ai 1
    trade_base_income_bonus bonus 3 requires event_counter is_the_ai 1
    }
    material wooden
    construction 6
    cost 3500
    settlement_min large_city
    upgrades
    {
    docklands
    }
    }
    docklands city requires factions { northern_european, middle_eastern, eastern_european, greek, southern_european, } and building_present_min_level port shipwright
    {
    capability
    {
    trade_fleet 4
    trade_base_income_bonus bonus 3 requires not event_counter is_the_ai 1
    trade_base_income_bonus bonus 4 requires event_counter is_the_ai 1
    }
    material wooden
    construction 8
    cost 6400
    settlement_min huge_city
    upgrades
    {
    }
    }
    }
    plugins
    {
    }
    }

In my mod, only the wharf tree can add additional trade_fleets beyond the one provided by the port. The shipwright does not provide a trade fleet, but is required in order to build further up the wharf tree.

With a castle, I simply allowed each port level to provide one more trade fleet to a maximum of 4. My castle ports do not increase trade value, they only provide trade fleets.

Let me know if there is something you do not understand. Hope this helps.

I've replicated your code, and still only 3 exporting trade fleets...
    I've deleted all sea_trade buildings but in one my city to replicate that in your case only Athens export to Constantinople, and still have 3 export and 4 import fleets, as the ports have trade_fleets hardcoded.
    No idea how you can get 4 (and you do...), and no idea why there ERROR in your pics signifying that your script.txt doesn't work (or there's another error? I don't know).

Can you show me your entire Wharf building tree from your export_descr_building.txt file? That is, the one you were using.

Also, what city are you using to test your EDB file with? Are there at least four ports or fishing villages from other factions within range of your test city?

I also got four going out of Alexandria (but not five), as well as Aarhus. Must be something in the script. Let's see.
    Last edited by Nordlaender; August 11, 2021 at 07:28 PM.

I forgot to ask: what mod are you using? Or are you just using straight Kingdoms?

Quote Originally Posted by Nordlaender View Post
    Can you show me your entire Wharf building tree from your export_descr_building.txt file? That is, the one you were using.

Also, what city are you using to test your EDB file with? Are there at least four ports or fishing villages from other factions within range of your test city?

I also got four going out of Alexandria (but not five), as well as Aarhus. Must be something in the script. Let's see.
    Code:
    ;@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@    SEA TRADEbuilding sea_trade
    {
      convert_to castle_sea_trade
      levels merchants_wharf warehouse docklands
      {
        merchants_wharf city requires factions { northern_european, middle_eastern, eastern_european, greek, southern_european, }  and building_present_min_level port port and building_present_min_level builders builders2
        {
          capability
          {
            trade_base_income_bonus bonus 2
            population_growth_bonus bonus 3
    		trade_fleet 2
    		}
          material wooden
          construction  5
          cost  4000
          settlement_min city
          upgrades
          {
            warehouse
          }
        }
        warehouse city requires factions { northern_european, middle_eastern, eastern_european, greek, southern_european, }  and building_present_min_level port shipwright and building_present_min_level builders builders3
        {
          capability
          {
            agent merchant  0  requires factions { northern_european, } and hidden_resource pisa or hidden_resource venice or hidden_resource flanders
            agent merchant  0  requires factions { middle_eastern, } and hidden_resource pisa or hidden_resource venice or hidden_resource flanders
            agent merchant  0  requires factions { eastern_european, } and hidden_resource pisa or hidden_resource venice or hidden_resource flanders
            agent merchant  0  requires factions { greek, } and hidden_resource pisa or hidden_resource venice or hidden_resource flanders
            agent merchant  0  requires factions { southern_european, } and hidden_resource pisa or hidden_resource venice or hidden_resource flanders

agent_limit merchant 0
            agent_limit merchant 1 requires factions { southern_european, northern_european, } and hidden_resource pisa or hidden_resource venice or hidden_resource flanders

trade_base_income_bonus bonus 3
            population_growth_bonus bonus 4
            law_bonus bonus -1		
        	trade_fleet 3	
    		}
          material wooden
          construction  6
          cost  6700
          settlement_min large_city
          upgrades
          {
            docklands
          }
        }
        docklands city requires factions { northern_european, middle_eastern, eastern_european, greek, southern_european, }  and building_present_min_level port shipwright and building_present_min_level builders builders4
        {
          capability
          {
            agent merchant  0  requires factions { northern_european, }
            agent merchant  0  requires factions { middle_eastern, }
            agent merchant  0  requires factions { eastern_european, }
            agent merchant  0  requires factions { greek, }
            agent merchant  0  requires factions { southern_european, }

agent_limit merchant 1

trade_base_income_bonus bonus 4
            population_growth_bonus bonus 5
            law_bonus bonus -3		
        	trade_fleet 4			
    		}
          material wooden
          construction  12
          cost  10950
          settlement_min huge_city
          upgrades
          {
          }
        }
      }
      plugins
      {
      }
    }
    Code:
    settlement{
    	level huge_city
    	region Constantinople_Province
    	year_founded 0
    	population 101000
    	plan_set default_set
    	faction_creator byzantium
    	building
    	{
    		type core_building huge_stone_wall
    	}	
    	building
    	{
    		type wonders2 wonder_hagia_sophia
    	}
    	building
    	{
    		type temple_orthodox abbey_o
    	}		
    	building
    	{
    		type urban_equestrian hippodrom
    	}
    	building
    	{
    		type city_hall mayors_palace
    	}
    	building
    	{
    		type water_supply aqueduct_of_valens
    	}
    	building
    	{
    		type builders builders4
    	}	
    	building
    	{
    		type hinterland_roads highways
    	}
    	building
    	{
    		type farms farms5
    	}	
    	building
    	{
    		type food_supply forced_tribute
    	}
    	building
    	{
    		type port naval_drydock
    	}
    	building
    	{
    		type sea_trade docklands
    	}
    	building
    	{
    		type barracks militia_barracks
    	}	
    	building
    	{
    		type byzantine_mercenary_barracks mercenary_barracks2
    	}
    	building
    	{
    		type landowners landowners4
    	}		
    	building
    	{
    		type smith armourer
    	}
    	building
    	{
    		type education_university university
    	}
    	building
    	{
    		type education_libraries library
    	}
    	building
    	{
    		type paper paper3b_paper
    	}	
    	building
    	{
    		type market merchants_quarter
    	}
    	building
    	{
    		type Italian_Traders italian_trader_quarters
    	}
    	building
    	{
    		type mills wind_mill
    	}
    	building
    	{
    		type bakery pastry_shop
    	}
    	building
    	{
    		type taverns coaching_house
    	}
    	building
    	{
    		type icon_art ikoner_studio
    	}
    	building
    	{
    		type charity charity4
    	}
    }
    Yep, there're many ports within the range.

The mod is the SSHIP test version of 098. It's a mod for the SS, and the ERROR message also appears when the script.txt doesn't work.
    I don't think it depends on the script because in your build the script.txt is disabled, as far as I can tell from the ERROR message.

Hmm... gosh, it looks like you are set up fine to have the 4 trade fleets outgoing. I don't think it is a scripting issue.

Here is a discussion that I read while trying to fix my own problem. It is over at Steam and it gives me an idea I want to test. Here is the link:

Trade Fleet Bug :: Total War: MEDIEVAL II - Definitive Edition Allmänna diskussioner (steamcommunity.com)

Let me test something using my vanilla MTW2 Steam version and then the other Kingdoms campaigns. It's just a hunch.

Ok, in my Steam version of the MTW2 Definitive Edition vanilla campaign, there is a limit of 3 trade fleets, and the port automatically provides one without scripting "trade_fleet 1" in the EDU. However, I also remember that the Grand Master Explorers Guild provides a trade route to India, and that may very well be the fourth outgoing trade route in the vanilla game. I have personally never seen it, but others say it was there, if I remember correctly.

Kingdoms changed something. I need to unpack one of my Kingdoms data folders to do some testing there.

Just so you know, I am playing my Stainless Steel 6.4 (Bug Compilation 1.27) version by placing the data folder inside the Kingdoms "crusades" folder to trick Steam into launching it. I have no idea if this impacts the problem of the trade fleets or not.

I wish I could figure this out so I can help you find the problem. Do you have "trade_fleet 1" scripted as a capability under the first level port building?

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

'Trade route to India' - don't take that literal. The explorer guild tree does not provide a single capability\bonus, never mind additional trade routes. I think it is merely used to provide conditions in 5 EDA triggers with nothing in EDCT, examples:
    Code:
    Trigger intrepid_explorer_vnv_trigger
        WhenToTest CharacterTurnEnd
        Condition EndedInSettlement
              and SettlementBuildingExists >= explorers_guild
              and IsGeneral

AcquireAncillary intrepid_explorer chance  5

;------------------------------------------
    Trigger naval_navigator_vnv_trigger
        WhenToTest AgentCreated
        Condition IsAdmiral

AcquireAncillary naval_navigator chance  33
    You could add the top level guild building to the settlement you are testing and see if it increases the fleets number, which would make it hard coded, but I have serious doubts that will be the case.

Edit: I am going to pretend I never read how you installed Stainless Steel, only know that it does not make a difference. It still uses the same executable on Steam - which you must be running as there wouldn't be a reason otherwise to do it. Next time use this method, or my repack.
    Last edited by Gigantus; August 13, 2021 at 11:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    'Trade route to India' - don't take that literal. The explorer guild tree does not provide a single capability\bonus, never mind additional trade routes. I think it is merely used to provide conditions in 5 EDA triggers with nothing in EDCT, examples:
    Code:
    Trigger intrepid_explorer_vnv_trigger
        WhenToTest CharacterTurnEnd
        Condition EndedInSettlement
              and IsGeneral

AcquireAncillary intrepid_explorer chance  5

;------------------------------------------
    Trigger naval_navigator_vnv_trigger
        WhenToTest AgentCreated
        Condition IsAdmiral

AcquireAncillary naval_navigator chance  33
    You could add the top level guild building to the settlement you are testing and see if it increases the fleets number, which would make it hard coded, but I have serious doubts that will be the case.

Edit: I am going to pretend I never read how you installed Stainless Steel, only know that it does not make a difference. It still uses the same executable on Steam - which you must be running as there wouldn't be a reason otherwise to do it. Next time use this method, or my repack.

LOL... now I know why you said that. It was your thread over at Steam that I learned that from. Still, it worked, so I'm glad it's still there.

Dumping a data folder into the main exe folder is a lot easier than than what I read from your new methods, but I will try it maybe. You know, once upon a time Steam would show Stainless Steel as an option for launching along with the other Kingdoms campaigns, but now it's gone. I don't know how to bring it back.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Dumping the data folder in Steam will only work if you have also applied my guide here (the SS installer does it for you) as Stainless Steel is looking for the kingdoms.exe file. And it will never result in showing up in the old launcher (never in steam's library launcher afaik) as that requires a registry entry (yet another guide of mine) added via an installer - I am not doing that anymore as nobody uses that launcher (never mind messing with the registry), it's made totally redundant by automatically installed desktop shortcuts.

Edit - LOL: just checked the registry guide, it involves Stainless Steel's entry at the time.
    Last edited by Gigantus; September 05, 2021 at 08:40 AM.

Oh, I'm sure there were other things I had to do before I dumped the data folder into the crusades folder to trick Steam into launching it (I do have to launch "crusades" to get it to work). I just don't remember what it was. I just followed your directions on the old Steam thread and it worked.

I'll see if I can get it to work using your new guide or method. It really confused me when I read it. Mod folders confuse me a lot and creating them in the past usually led to disaster for me.

I put some comments in the steam discussion that might be of interest https://steamcommunity.com/app/4700/...6081331/?ctp=2

Running a mod in a kingdoms campaign folder seems to empirically make a difference vs running it in its normal place. When this change happened (assuming it's a change) or whether all mods are affected, I have no idea.

Edit: Let's make this clear with pictures.

Copied exe (standard instructions, everyone in the thread except Nordlaender): the sea exports are bugged.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Renamed mod folder (Nordlaender): the sea exports work correctly.

Instructions for using mods on steam should be adjusted accordingly.
    Last edited by Artorath; September 24, 2021 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorath View Post
    I put some comments in the steam discussion that might be of interest https://steamcommunity.com/app/4700/...6081331/?ctp=2

Running a mod in a kingdoms campaign folder seems to empirically make a difference vs running it in its normal place. When this change happened (assuming it's a change) or whether all mods are affected, I have no idea.

Edit: Let's make this clear with pictures.

Copied exe (standard instructions, everyone in the thread except Nordlaender): the sea exports are bugged.

Renamed mod folder (Nordlaender): the sea exports work correctly.

Instructions for using mods on steam should be adjusted accordingly.
    I was about to comment that, nice to see that someone else already tested it.
    The game checks your modfolder name wether you are playing one of the four dlcs.
    And if you do from i what i can tell so far two things happen slighty different.
    1. The port trade fleet thing
    2. Something with the siege hold_out times is slighty differently calculated (so +/- one turn)

Wow. I guess we all have no idea what's going on with this. Obviously, dumping the Stainless Steel data folder into one of the four dlc's for Kingdoms will allow you to have 4 trade fleets and also send those fleets out to multiple ports for the best income generation. I found that to be the easiest thing to do since it somehow tricks Steam into launching SS 6.4 even though it's in the "crusades" folder. Mentally, moving an entire data folder is easier than setting up a mod folder for me. Perhaps I'm stupid. I don't know, but at least it works and I'm really glad Gigantus discovered that method.
    Last edited by Nordlaender; January 23, 2022 at 02:07 PM.

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

This is interesting... curious, if for example you have a save (or a hotseat) made in one of the folders, and then sometimes played in the renamed folder, whther it changes each time, or it stays as in the folder where it was created?

Quote Originally Posted by Nordlaender View Post
    I am using the Steam version of MTW2 and the Stainless Steel 6.4, and I have achieved 4 export fleets maximum.
    The level one port provides the first trade fleet, then the wharf, (forgot name), and docklands provide 3 more, as you can see below:

Attachment 365367
    Can you show a working version of those 4 fleets? ERROR here is shown - fortunately, Stainless Steel is programmed to show when the script is not working.

{post deleted, see below}
    Last edited by Nordlaender; January 23, 2022 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Can you show a working version of those 4 fleets? ERROR here is shown - fortunately, Stainless Steel is programmed to show when the script is not working.
    I'm sorry. What do you mean by a "working version"? The photos or screenshots I made are from my SS 6.4 mod working on the campaign map.

Can you be a little more exact as to what you want me to show you?

Also, I notice that in your set-up above, the wharves all require additional buildings to be present. Are those buildings present?
    Last edited by Nordlaender; January 23, 2022 at 02:14 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast