Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you practice a martial art?

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Default Do you practice a martial art?

Do you practice a martial art? If yes, which one?

I practice Aikido. I started almost 20 years ago, during tow years when I was a student, then stopped when I started working.
    I started again almost 10 years later for a few years, but I had some clash with the club and left.

This year, I started again with another club (it is actually a new section in my son's judo club), and I'm very happy with it. I hope I can finally resume progressing and have a black belt in may be 2-3 years.

this thread can be an opportunity to ask others about what they practice

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Do you practice a martial art?

As a kid - Judo, got to Green belt before girls and alcohol became more important. Then 'Wing Chun' in my mid twenties, I enjoyed it and learned a lot about the balance between self defence and pre-empting an attack. Gave that up after a couple of years (girls, again). In my mid thirties I wanted to get back into something, but Wing-Chun was to energetic for me so I took up Tai-Chi for a couple of years, again I enjoyed it but eventually fell out with the teacher. I still practice when I can but I'm a bit lazy in my middle age.

My daughter goes to kick boxing (has done for a couple of years) which is perfect for young girls/women, it seems a lot more fun than most martial arts.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

I practices judo from 7 to 18, had a brown belt from age 15 but I wasn't that interested anymore and my friends left the club. I started focussing more on football and stopped when I started university in another city.

Azog 150's Avatar Civitate

I did Tai Kwon Do when I was younger. I got up to a green belt - but like the rest of you I gave up soon into my teenage years. Likewise I gave up playing football. I really wish I had continued at least one of them.
    Under the Patronage of Jom!

Patrician Artifex

Never too late to start again. I had a 10 years break in my Aikido training, then again a 3 years break when I had a clash with my former club.
    But you don't forget everything. Yesterday, in the second part of the training session, the teacher asked 5 of us to do some kind of reharsal for the black belt exam. And although we did not really study them this year, I saw that I remembered most of the techniques.

And if you start again later, maybe you are not as fast or have a little less stamina than the young, but I think you gain in commitment, concentration, and efficiency.

Well i did kempo a couple of years on and off in my teens, likewise, growing up, i begun to have other interests and less time.
    But lately i have been waiting to do something of the sort, something i like. And i found a kenjutsu dogo in my city, i might try that, as it seems diferent and more interesting, and not very comon. ( Not in my country anyway)

I did pai lum kung fu,Okinawan karate & judo. I competed in judo for many years and beat an alternate that was on the 1980 Olympic team. this was back in 1985.
    I love martial arts but no longer practice. You know wife, kids mortgage, l.o.l.

Patrician Artifex

I'm not sure wife and kids really are an hindrance. Especially when kids are old enough to practice themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    I'm not sure wife and kids really are an hindrance. Especially when kids are old enough to practice themselves.
    Well I also work over 50 hrs a week so it was just to much.

Marvzilla's Avatar Senator

I kickboxed and boxed for a while. Follow the sport and once in a while I decide to pick it up again, only to have a reason not to . Did Taekwondo aswell when I was younger, for more than a year, green belt.

FrostySOTF's Avatar Ice in My Veins
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

I have a Brown Belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu as well as being a state medalist in wrestling. (Did Taekwondo when I was younger but I don't count it.)

I want to obtain a black belt in BJJ and then go on to Judo I'm thinking. I truly love doing Jiu Jitsu more than any other activity ( aside from computer stuff )

Would Judo or Muay Thai be better to add to my game do you guys think? I like judo because it helps me get someone to the ground, where I am at my strongest.

Patrician Artifex

I pass my Aikido 1st Kyu this year (same as Brown belt). A bit of a surprise: I was officially 3rd in my previous club, a few years ago, and in April the teacher organized a mock belt test for practice, and I was supposed to do that, to prepare for 2d kyu at the end of the year. But at the end of this practice session, the teachers said "we have decide to give you directly 1st kyu, no need to wait".
    So now I have to prepare black blet for next year.

ccllnply's Avatar Tribunus

I wish I did. I only developed an interest in MMA this year at the age of 21. Trying to do some trying on my own by getting a bag from my home gym and doing some boxing/muay thai.

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

I've been on and off again since I was about 5, I started with Karate (made it to yellow belt), did a little bit of TKD (yellow belt again), Jeet Kune Do for a year or two (no belt system for the adult classes) and a little bit of Capoeira. Moving a lot prevented full commitment, and now it's time and money .
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

FrostySOTF's Avatar Ice in My Veins
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    I pass my Aikido 1st Kyu this year (same as Brown belt). A bit of a surprise: I was officially 3rd in my previous club, a few years ago, and in April the teacher organized a mock belt test for practice, and I was supposed to do that, to prepare for 2d kyu at the end of the year. But at the end of this practice session, the teachers said "we have decide to give you directly 1st kyu, no need to wait".
    So now I have to prepare black blet for next year.
    Aye, I plan on having my black belt by November, I'm so excited

Patrician Artifex

I got my 2nd Degree Aikido Black Belt two weeks ago, 2 years after 1st Degree

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

Well a few years have passed, but still good to see this one bumped.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; July 16, 2018 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Format.

Patrician Artifex

Let's hope it will be a little more active before I bump it again in 3 years (min) for 3rd degree

Macunaíma's Avatar Campidoctor

Does boxing count? I also did judo when I was a kid, but very briefly.

Patrician Artifex

Boxing is counted as a European martial art.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast