Thread: Trait not working for one specific family member in descr_strat.txt

Razor's Avatar Licenced to insult

Default Trait not working for one specific family member in descr_strat.txt

I'm working on traits and I've come across a curious thing. The aim of the traits that I'm creating is to give an epithet to faction leaders and heirs. For example, normally you'd get a faction leader or heir named "King/Prince William" without a surname, while his full name in-game might actually be William Smith. I created the epithet in order to get the surname "Smith" displayed as well when the character is a king or prince.
    The problem: I can't get one trait to work for one particular character when I enter it in descr_strat.txt.

It's this character:

Code:
    character	Yoshishige Otomo, named character, male, heir, age 18, x 90, y 93 
    traits Otomo 1 
    army
    Without the trait, the name would simply show up in-game as "Prince Yoshishige", with the trait this should become "Prince Yoshishige Otomo" as the trait adds the epithet "Otomo" to the name. However when I start the game the epithet doesn't show up; it remains "Prince Yoshishige". What's even stranger is that the same trait and epithet does work for the faction leader in-game:

Code:
    character	Yoshiaki Otomo, named character, male, leader, age 46, x 93, y 98 
    traits Otomo 1 
    army
    In-game it correctly shows as "Lord Yoshiaki Otomo".

When I use the give_trait command and give the Otomo 1 trait to Prince Yoshishige in-game using the console, the trait does get added and the name changes to "Prince Yoshishige Otomo".

So, how come M2TW doesn't seem to register the trait for Yoshishige Otomo in descr_strat.txt, while it does register the same trait for Yoshiaki Otomo?
    Perhaps I'm missing something?
    Last edited by Razor; January 16, 2020 at 06:47 PM.

Default Re: Trait not working for one specific family member in descr_strat.txt

Ok, I have the same issue with another character. Both characters are heirs. I can bypass this issue either giving the trait by script after the first turn or let it trigger after the first turn and not adding the trait in descr_strat.txt. It would appear that some traits don't work well with heirs when they're added to them in descr_strat.txt? Can anyone confirm or replicate this?

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Yes, I have seen that too. I can't recall if it was just heirs with the problem. Pretty sure he got the trait okay, just not the epithet.

I gave the the trait via script instead. One monitor could be used for giving traits to multiple characters and can be terminated when done - better than triggers in those respects.
    Last edited by Withwnar; January 17, 2020 at 10:24 PM.

bitterhowl's Avatar Campidoctor

The issue is in the expanded.txt.

If you're sure that all possible heirs of this faction will be "Otomo", go there and write

Code:
    {EMT_XYZ_FACTION_HEIR_NAME}Prince %S Otomo
    Seems to work.

My sister, do you still recall the blue Hasan and Khalkhin-Gol?
    Russian warship is winning. Proofs needed? Go find yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by bitterhowl View Post
    The issue is in the expanded.txt.

If you're sure that all possible heirs of this faction will be "Otomo", go there and write

Code:
    {EMT_XYZ_FACTION_HEIR_NAME}Prince %S Otomo
    Seems to work.
    Yes, that does work, but if the epithet shows up you'd get Prince %S Otomo "Epithet". If I'd want Yoshishige Otomo to change his name to Yoshishige "Sorin" Otomo I can't use your solution. Same with Harunobu "Shingen" Takeda. The parts "Sorin" Otomo and "Shingen" Takeda are the epithets. I already use your solution for factions that don't have historical characters change their name.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Withwnar View Post
    Yes, I have seen that too. I can't recall if it was just heirs with the problem. Pretty sure he got the trait okay, just not the epithet.

I gave the the trait via script instead. One monitor could be used for giving traits to multiple characters and can be terminated when done - better than triggers in those respects.
    Came across this issue while working on several mods. Having a single, terminating monitor (PreFactionturnStart FacitonIsLocal) giving all the required traits has always been my approach.
    Last edited by Gigantus; February 04, 2020 at 12:10 AM.