Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Huge Units Mod

Default Re: Huge Units Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    With the release of the new patch, this mod is now incompatible with it, you will need to wait until the creater does the changes on the new export_descr_units file
    Big oof. I figured that was it, really enjoying the new patch, and here's to hoping we get an update! I appreciate the reply!

A quick question, how hard would it be to recreate, or more accurately. Update it for my personal use only? Not super technical, but I don't mind giving it a try.

Artifex

Aw, heck, new mod update... I'm busy with other things but attach the new export_descr_units and I'll take a look at it.

You would need to change the number of soldiers for each unit to 100, mostly manual work but there are some often used values that you may be able to replace en masse. However you also need to edit the costs accordingly if you want to follow the mods structure. Here are some often used numbers I wrote down, and the factor needed to multiply to 100, which you would also need to multiply the costs with;

96 1,04
    80 1,25
    64 1,57
    48 2.08
    40 2,5
    24 4,17
    20 5
    12 8,3

Not sure how much the new patch overhauls the units but there's likely a lot to gain from opening the old EDU and the new and just copy relevant lines for the unaltered units from the old mod version to the new.

The javelins thrown before charge attribute is called "prec" in the unit file, replace it with "no" to remove that attribute.
    Last edited by Maltacus; April 10, 2021 at 02:10 AM.
    The Misadventures of Diabolical Amazons - Completed.
    An Orcs Tale, a Third Age AAR - Completed.
    Reviewed by Alwyn in the Critics Quill
    My Dread Lady, a Warcraft Total War AAR - 27 chapters done.
    Home to Midgard, a Third Age AAR about two dwarves, a spy and a diplomat - Completed (pictures remade up to chapter 19).
    Reviewed by Boustrophedon in The Critics Quill

Quote Originally Posted by Maltacus View Post
    Aw, heck, new mod update... I'm busy with other things but attach the new export_descr_units and I'll take a look at it.

You would need to change the number of soldiers for each unit to 100, mostly manual work but there are some often used values that you may be able to replace en masse. However you also need to edit the costs accordingly if you want to follow the mods structure. Here are some often used numbers I wrote down, and the factor needed to multiply to 100, which you would also need to multiply the costs with;

96 1,04
    80 1,25
    64 1,57
    48 2.08
    40 2,5
    24 4,17
    20 5
    12 8,3

Not sure how much the new patch overhauls the units but there's likely a lot to gain from opening the old EDU and the new and just copy relevant lines for the unaltered units from the old mod version to the new.

The javelins thrown before charge attribute is called "prec" in the unit file, replace it with "no" to remove that attribute.
    Oh man. You are the best my friend! I'll send you a copy of the new file now, then give this all a try tonight after work. (Work hours are crappy)
    Yeah, you completely destroyed the base Unit sizes for me lol. Just not the same at all.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Here is my edit for the newest r2 patch incase anyone wants to use it. modeled after the extended version of the og version. 250 man 12 rows instead of 15 because i memorized it wrongly but works perfectly fine. changes to archers like in the extended version prec replaced with no etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Omurtag View Post
    Here is my edit for the newest r2 patch incase anyone wants to use it. modeled after the extended version of the og version. 250 man 12 rows instead of 15 because i memorized it wrongly but works perfectly fine. changes to archers like in the extended version prec replaced with no etc.
    If you are inclined to still make further changes going forward then the economical impact might be worth considering as well although it would be a lot of work, as it is 250 Hastati costs more in recruitment and upkeep than 250 Triarii, as EB2 only had 82 Triarii per unit to 162 Hastati. Im sure the same is true when you compare other elite units like Spartan hoplites as well.

"I may not like what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

- Voltaire(1694–1778)

Artifex

Wow, nice work

I'm about halfway through editing the new EDU with unit sizes and adjusted costs. Once that is done it's going to be faster work to fix the other details.

EDIT: About three quarters done.
    Last edited by Maltacus; May 02, 2021 at 02:34 AM.
    Home to Midgard, a Third Age AAR about two dwarves, a spy and a diplomat - Completed (pictures remade up to chapter 19).

Wow, nice work

I'm about halfway through editing the new EDU with unit sizes and adjusted costs. Once that is done it's going to be faster work to fix the other details.

Ill put my campaign on hold and look forward to it then, really enjoyed playing with your original mod - bigger battles was not the only consequence it made them strategically more important as well.

"I may not like what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

- Voltaire(1694–1778)

Wow, nice work

I really can't wait for this, been holding off on playing a new campaign for this submod as well. Wish I could show my appreciation, but a Thank you will have to do.

Artifex

Attached is the work so far, an EDU with alterd numbers and costs up to the beginning of the eastern units, line 12645. Try it out and check if it works if you have the time, as something of a beta test. The western and central parts of the map should be populated by updated units if you wish to start a campaing with one of those factions.

EDIT: All units done! Formations and some more details are left to fix but now each corner of the land will have increased unit sizes. Please let me know if something doesn't work, it is easy to miss a line here and there when doing this.
    Last edited by Maltacus; May 11, 2021 at 04:47 PM.

Artifex

The mod is now updated to fit the latest version of EB II. Only the limited version of the mod is done yet but I plan to include a more extensive version later. Installation of that will be compatible with saved games.

The old release of the mod version for patch 2.35 is included as well.

Foederatus

I'm a little curious, how do the larger units perform in settlement battles?

Artifex

It's pretty much the same as in other mods with 200+ men units. Walls are tricky and only large sections can be claimed before battle starts, the rest can be defended by a unit ordered to climb from the ground but its unwieldy. On the upside most barbarian settlements have enough open spaces to work very well with large units, and nomad camps as well, and the larger settled cities are decent. The many-layered medieval castles are the most limiting but we see comparatively little of that in EB II. So all in all large units perform reasonably well in settlements, and ranged troops can really be devastating against the huge masses that form, but it's not as fluid and stimulating as large field battle sin my opinion.

Foederatus

Hm, alright. But what about the AI? Is it able to navigate streets and such properly and is it actually able to garrison walls post setup with the larger units?

Artifex

The AI is not particularly more limited by large unit sizes. It is dumb and clumsy in itself with small units as well as large ones. This is however an area where the impression is quite subjective so the only reliable way of determining the extent of AI troubles is trying it out yourself.

Tried getting this but the game won't even start.

Artifex

And what does the system.log say?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12