Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Huge Units Mod

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Artifex

Default Huge Units Mod

This mod alters the unit size of most units to 250, foot as well as horse. The costs are changed by the same factor so the economical effectiveness of a unit will be comparable. The following unit types are excepted from the standard:

Ships, I haven't touched those.
    Siege weapons. Their crews and pieces are doubled. More than six pieces are a bit too unwieldy in my opinion and I wanted to keep the existing balance between artillery types.
    Chariots. 100 chariots is a sight to behold but a bit too costly and unwieldy to be useful. I have altered numbers so that there will be 45 chariots which take up roughly as much space as a cavalry unit.
    Elephants. I haven't touched those. They take up a lot of space already and are so expensive I hesitate to add to it. Suggestions for making them more decisive are welcome. I have contemplated adding the attribute "screeching women" (as the elephants trumpeting, you know) to them to further undeerline the psychological effect of those strange beasts and make them useful by scaring.
    Client rulers. Their costs are halved after the adjustment due to those units being a bit overpriced and also in order not to detract too much from the economic utility of recruiting the client ruler.

In addition to this the mod removes the attribute "javelins thrown before charge". The unit ai handles that behaviour bad enough as it is with smaller units and I find larger ones just messes up their formations when they try to charge after throwing. Besides, javelineers became immensely more dangerous to approach without this attribute.
    Units have a default depth of 15 ranks, to make them form a compact square by default, such as when the enemy sallies from a settlement. That lessens the problem with units spreading out across the entire field in absurdly thin lines. It also seems to help the ai keep its companies in order in field battles, this is mostly an issue with cavalry. The problem with units forming marching columns in the middle of battle still persists unfortunately.

The mod comes in two versions;
    Limited Version: Only the changes mentioned above.

Expanded Version (NOT YET READY): Limited version and the following alterations:
    - Foot archers have a standardised formation - "formation 1.2, 1.4, 1.8, 1.8, 15, square". Archers do in vanilla EB II range from constantly having wide formation to standing as close together as hoplites. The former is impractical and the latter extreme is unrealistic, archers needed a bit of space to handle their bows. I have chosen a minimum spacing between ranks so that soldiers nock and draw without touching the model before them which looks decent. They stand wider than most melee infantry and will be less effective in melee as a result, all other things equal.

Installation:
    Unpack the attached file with 7zip or some similar file compression tool.
    Open the desired folder (limited or expanded version) and copy the export_descr_unit.txt file inside.
    Install by pasting the attached file into ...Medieval II Total War\mods\ebii\data and overwrite as requested. I advise saving a backup of your existing export_descr_unit.txt just in case.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Maltacus; May 16, 2021 at 01:31 AM.
    The Misadventures of Diabolical Amazons - Completed.
    An Orcs Tale, a Third Age AAR - Completed.
    Reviewed by Alwyn in the Critics Quill
    My Dread Lady, a Warcraft Total War AAR - 27 chapters done.
    Home to Midgard, a Third Age AAR about two dwarves, a spy and a diplomat - Completed (pictures remade up to chapter 19).
    Reviewed by Boustrophedon in The Critics Quill

Default Re: Huge Units Mod

Could you make the rebel armier set to the original huge size? Would make the game more interesting and give player a chance how to get an edge on some of these two stacks sitting around the rebel cities

Artifex

No, that is impossible. A unit has the same size regardless which faction has recruited it.

In which campaign is this an insurmountable problem? I am genuinely interested because I find EB II lacking in danger in pretty much every campaign, sadly.
    Home to Midgard, a Third Age AAR about two dwarves, a spy and a diplomat - Completed (pictures remade up to chapter 19).

Its easy because AI factions dont get to expand thanks to weird scripting and huge rebel setlements and stacks around them

Artifex

Scripting, that would be the recruitment limitation script at the end of the campaign_script.txt? I removed it and saw some improvement, particularly the romans did notably better in the early stages.

If you have an unaltered campaign script I could edit out this and post it as a submod, it might be interesting to see what people experience, provided there is an interest in such a mod. My own campaign script is modified in other ways and thus no good for this.

If you can mod the game files so that enemy factions expand faster (honestly some lone factions like gauls which ive seen in my 110 turns campaign still holding on territory could even use a free region auto assigned to them) that would be perfect. Id rather fight enemy with an economy behind them then random stacks that regulary spawn everywhere because some raider script over and over, honestly dont understand what is the purpose behind that atleast from the perspective of gameplay enjoyment

Artifex

I can. Just upload your campaign_script.txt and desct_strat.txt so I can get to work on them, they are located here:

...Medieval II Total War\mods\ebii\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign

Quote Originally Posted by Maltacus View Post
    I can. Just upload your campaign_script.txt and desct_strat.txt so I can get to work on them, they are located here:

...Medieval II Total War\mods\ebii\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign
    Hi,

If you could give me the same treatment i long for a diverse harder campaign with super aggresive Ai so it is actually enjoyable to see the Ai expand as i do!

Also a bonus would be if you could trigger all reforms for all factions on turn 1 would be amazing thanks!

Attached Files Attached Files

Artifex

@JPredz
    Welcome to the forums!
    Reforms require a lot of work that I haven't had the time for unfortunately. Here is a small mod with my alterations for a more aggressive campaign ai:
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...4#post15876844
    Last edited by Maltacus; February 19, 2020 at 03:36 PM.

Artifex

I have updated the mod with an expanded version adding a couple of more things. I am keeeping an original limited version of the mod too so everyone can choose whichever fits them best.

I have my own mod. And i just want to ask. Is there a fast way to implement ONLY the unit number changes? I manually using notepad + searched Soldier, and replaced all the first #s with 100s. But is there a faster way you did it? such as Replace all? Just asking because in the future i will be doing this again. Thanks for showing me how to do it.

well gonna have to revert my changes. Not sure if its just me. But with 16gb on 1 stick of ram, RTX 2080 founder edition, and i forgot my processor but its I7 or i5 its good. Game crashes when i have 6k units on the map. At least if they have reinforcements coming from outside the map. even with Large address aware changes. Game crashes on huge battles. I think the engine just cant handle it.
    Last edited by moisesjns; May 19, 2020 at 02:24 PM.

There is an option on notepad where you can replace a part of the text. I think if you include it the full soldiers line you can replace it much quicker.

Artifex

If total number of soldiers is the issue, why not just set unit sizes to something smaller than huge instead of going over the EDU again?

I did the modding all manually, unit after unit. I had to recalculate the costs unit by unit anyway so it didn't make much difference for me.

I suppose you can find a way to safely replace all unit numbers with a desired new value. With unit numbers looking like this..

soldier welsh_spearmen, 100, 0, 1, 0.3

...the 100 is the number of soldiers and the 0 after it indicates the number of engines, which is always 0 except in artillery units. If you search and replace a text string like ", NUMBER, 0," you should probably not run the risk of accidentally messing up the missile ranges, which tend to be the closest other values. Missile weapons lines will have the number of missiles after the range, and the number of missiles will not be 0. Example:

stat_pri 4, 0, javelin, 60, 2, thrown, missile_mechanical, piercing, none, 0, 1

60 is a potential unit size you might want to adjust in bulk, but since you include the 0 stating no siege engines in the unit your search will not include lines where 60 determines missile range instead of number of soldiers.

The thing is. While your mod is awesome. I already have a submod that Increases the range of Javelins and Bows, And this does make a difference for AI. (we all know AI is not smart, and tends to be stupid with its skirmishers and almost never uses its javelins before charge) With increased range they will use them more, so i was trying to find a quick way to update my EDR to have your unit size. Using Replace all, only works per 1 unit change, so i have to manually edit each line (not too much work.) I was hoping to find a way to expedite this. Oh well its not a huge issue. Thank you for this mod, i would gladly run it if not for my mod already.

Found what i wanted, it was a feauture i used a long time ago and forgot. For anyone in future who wants to edit multiple lines in Notepadd ++ here is the HOW TO guide

https://www.cathrinewilhelmsen.net/2...multi-editing/
    Last edited by moisesjns; December 22, 2020 at 08:15 AM.

Thank you for this it works perfectly fine and I love the bugger feel of battles. However, is it possible to revert the unit recruitment costs and upkeep costs to vanilla. The adjusted prices while in theory a good idea results in the ai going bankurpt and never recovering after only about 20 turns this applies to all factions almost. I am using the extended version. I would really appreciate if you could come up with a fix for this as I cant bring myself to play with the smaller unit sizes again.

Cheers again for the submod

If anyone else can help me or tell me how I can edit this myself without going through every unit changing the costs for each?

Artifex

I rarely check in but how nice to see the continued interest! There is no quick way to revert to the vanilla costs I'm afraid. The AI bonuses mod I link to in post #9 was my way of dealing with the AI bankrupcy. I also doubled the economy, both incomes and devastation, to enable some more epic armies for all. You can easily add that if you like, open the descr_settlement_mechanics.xml (use notepad or something) and alter the lines near the end that define economical factors. Beware of raiders and rebels devastating your poor peasants crops, they are not to be taken lightly!

<factor name="SIF_FARMS">
    <pip_modifier value="4.0"/>
    </factor>
    <factor name="SIF_TAXES">
    <pip_modifier value="2.0"/>
    <castle_modifier value="1.9"/>
    </factor>
    <factor name="SIF_MINING">
    </factor>
    <factor name="SIF_TRADE">
    <pip_modifier value="1.5"/>
    <castle_modifier value="1.4"/>
    </factor>
    <factor name="SIF_BUILDINGS">
    </factor>
    <factor name="SIF_ADMIN">
    </factor>
    <factor name="SIF_WAGES">
    </factor>
    <factor name="SIF_UPKEEP">
    </factor>
    <factor name="SIF_CORRUPTION">
    <pip_modifier value="2.5"/>
    <castle_modifier value="1.5"/>
    <pip_min value="0"/>
    <pip_max value="2400"/>
    </factor>
    <factor name="SIF_ENTERTAINMENT">
    <pip_modifier value="10.0"/>
    </factor>
    <factor name="SIF_DEVASTATION">
    <pip_modifier value="6.0"/>
    <castle_modifier value="1.0"/>
    <pip_min value="0"/>
    <pip_max value="2400"/>
    </factor>

Thank you

Anyone else getting a CTD with this mod? For whatever reason I keep getting a CTD with the new patch, I'm assuming there is something conflicting. Just not sure what. I've tried both versions of it and nada. I am super spoiled with this Unit Mod so I can't go back to the little units. It kills me lol.

With the release of the new patch, this mod is now incompatible with it, you will need to wait until the creater does the changes on the new export_descr_units file

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast