Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying A New Gaming PC, Need Suggestions & Advice

Logik's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Buying A New Gaming PC, Need Suggestions & Advice

Hello everyone hope the day has found you all well. I'm in the market to buy a new gaming computer as my old one got fried by a virus. My budget is $1400.00 at the highest i would spend. I only play total war games, civilization, europa universalis, and all elder scrolls titles.

Looking to play these game title's at their highest graphics settings and fps. In regards to components i have no preference between any company as long as it is good quality.

I would like some advice on this from others that know more about gaming PC'S than i do as i have just basic knowledge. I may post a screenshots of rigs I'm considering to see what you think. I would be deeply appreciative for any suggestions or advice given. Just trying to get the best gaming rig for my budget.

Have a great day. Logik.
    Last edited by Logik; January 15, 2020 at 04:17 PM.
    My gaming rig nicknamed The Beast. OMEN by HP Obelisk Gaming Desktop Computer, 9th Generation Intel Core i9-9900K Processor, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB, HyperX 32 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, VR Ready, Windows 10 Home (875-1023, Black)

Default Re: Buying A New Gaming PC, Need Suggestions & Advice

I'm on the cyberpower website looking at rigs. If i see one i may want I'll post screenshots to see what y'all think. Looking to buy my rig in the next few day's.
    My gaming rig nicknamed The Beast. OMEN by HP Obelisk Gaming Desktop Computer, 9th Generation Intel Core i9-9900K Processor, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB, HyperX 32 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, VR Ready, Windows 10 Home (875-1023, Black)

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    took an arrow to the knee

I built this for you just now, thing is apparently that free SSD only comes with it for a day.

Anyway, it's not a big deal either way. You can always get cheap SSD's nowadays or not bother going with an SSD at all, although loading battles and campaigns gets quite time consuming in total war games unless you have an SSD.

Also it doesn't come with windows, as I assumed you already had that or were planning on using linux to save the $60. And since you mentioned you play civilization and I noticed a benchmark where there was 30 more FPS, I used the XT instead of 5700. The 5700 is around $45 cheaper if I remember correctly and still gets around 100+ FPS in 1080p.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Thank you for the response. That's an interesting build similar to what was looking at earlier. I'll post the specs here when i get a chance. Yeah SSD is must have for sure and i would definitely need an operating system preinstalled. I'm still looking around and comparing. Appreciate you taking the time to offer a suggestion is much appreciated I'll keep that build in mind for it's not a bad price.

CyberpowerPC Gamer Supreme Liquid Cool Gaming PC, Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB, 16GB DDR4, 1TB PCI-E NVMe SSD, WiFi Ready & Win 10 Home (SLC8260A2, Black)

That's one of the rig's i was looking at. It's a shade under 1400. I'm still looking. Not to impressed with it honestly. Thinking i may have to go up to 2000 to get a quality rig. I can do that but id rather not. Yet i will if it gets me something worth while.
    Last edited by Logik; January 15, 2020 at 10:03 PM.

https://www.newegg.com/cyberpowerpc-...82E16883230499

It's a bit pricey this one but those specs look good at least to me.

Generally you want the one that gives you the most GPU power. A 2060 is worse than the 5700XT from what I recall by a good margin.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1931...ce-2060-super/

Spending 400 extra bucks (than the $1400 build) puts you into the 2080 realm which is far better than a 2060. The numbers understate it quite a bit.
    Last edited by z3n; January 16, 2020 at 11:19 AM.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

See i knew i made the right decision by coming here asking for help (lol). Again i thank you, that was a very thorough and interesting read.

I kinda suspected that it probably wasn't the best graphics card out there.

I ran into this build on amazon for 1650.
    Similar stats but with a 2070 card.

CyberpowerPC Gamer Xtreme VR Gaming PC, Liquid Cool Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB, 16GB DDR4, 1TB PCI-E NVMe SSD, WiFi Ready & Win 10 Home (GXiVR8080A8, Black)

I just seems hard to find a rig with the latest top of the line processors and high end graphics card without paying a premium it seems.

I've been out of the pc market for a longtime and it seems alot has changed.

Just want something that can play the games i currently play at it's highest settings without issue's and also have the spec's to run any game i choose to purchase in the future.
    Last edited by Logik; January 16, 2020 at 12:37 PM.

Why don't you just customize the PC on cyberpower site itself? You can adjust the parts and stars how you like on there.
    The AI Workshop Creator

It's better to just build one yourself to be honest. Also, you gotta decide on a hard line for your budget. It's always possible to spend "just a bit more" for more performance.

Yup, definitely cheaper and at least you know things are done correctly that way. However there is the danger of damaging your CPU irreparably if you do it without paying attention to the very explicit instructions.
    The AI Workshop Creator

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    Why don't you just customize the PC on cyberpower site itself? You can adjust the parts and stars how you like on there.
    I did but it seems that it would take them about 3 weeks to send it to me or longer if i buy it there where, i can go on on newegg and have it in 3 to five business day's or Amazon in 2 day's.

I think my biggest issue is I'm not sure how much computing power i would would need, like do i need to get intel 9 or go with a high end 7 and and you just eloquently and helpfully pointed out to me my deficiency in my knowledge of graphics cards. (lol). But i agree i would build one myself if i knew what the heck i was doing.
    Last edited by Logik; January 16, 2020 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Love Mountain View Post
    It's better to just build one yourself to be honest. Also, you gotta decide on a hard line for your budget. It's always possible to spend "just a bit more" for more performance.
    I agree 100%. My original budget was 1400 but i wasn't liking my choices at that price range with my limited knowledge of pc hardware of course.

A 9th gen i5 is roughly equivalent or better than earlier i7s.

You really need to build your computer around the graphics card nowadays. Everything else is somewhat less important.
    The AI Workshop Creator

I wouldn't even buy Intel, even for gaming. Ryzen 5 3600 is "good enough" and saves you money to buy other stuff.

I wouldn't even buy Intel, even for gaming. Ryzen 5 3600 is "good enough" and saves you money to buy other stuff.
    Really? Everywhere I've looked they claim that intel is better for gaming. Probably been looking at paid sites though so perhaps their opinions are biased towards one company than another. It's hard to separate fact from fiction nowadays. I'll look into your suggestion and it's much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    A 9th gen i5 is roughly equivalent or better than earlier i7s.

You really need to build your computer around the graphics card nowadays. Everything else is somewhat less important.
    Hmm that's interesting. And yes i think i agree i saw that somewhere online. Build around the gpu first then the rest. Just finding the right balance is the hard part but yet i can always build up later on as the situation calls for it i suppose. I got the money to buy me a very high end rig but just feel like i shouldn't have too to enjoy the game's i play. You've been extremely helpful and i appreciate it.
    Last edited by Logik; January 16, 2020 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Logik View Post
    Really? Everywhere I've looked they claim that intel is better for gaming. Probably been looking at paid sites though so perhaps their opinions are biased towards one company than another. It's hard to separate fact from fiction nowadays. I'll look into your suggestion and it's much appreciated.
    They're completely correct. Intel is better for gaming. Ryzen 5 3600 and i5-9600K are around the same price, 200$. But, you get 6 cores/12 Threads with AMD, and only 6 Cores/6 Threads with Intel. For productivity, like video editing, streaming, whatever, AMD will be better. I mostly game with my computer, but I do occasionally do other things. In my opinion you get 90-95% of the Intel performance for gaming plus 130-140% of the performance for other things.You also have to consider that that games aren't really CPU limited anymore. CS:GO will run 400 FPS on newest Intel CPUs, 350 FPS on AMD CPUs. So no functional difference.

Total War is different admittedly, and will benefit from he higher clocks, but I comfortably run Warhammer 2 on Ultra everything including unit sizes. I also play quite a bit of old mods like Roma Surrectum 2 . For reference, I run an i7-4790K, and I still max out all of my games. I will always encourage people to build their own PC, but if you must get a prebuilt, going with an i5 o Ryzen 5 isn't a bad deal. Especially if you can take the 100-150$ saved and put them into a 2070 or 2080.

They're completely correct. Intel is better for gaming. Ryzen 5 3600 and i5-9600K are around the same price, 200$. But, you get 6 cores/12 Threads with AMD, and only 6 Cores/6 Threads with Intel. For productivity, like video editing, streaming, whatever, AMD will be better. I mostly game with my computer, but I do occasionally do other things. In my opinion you get 90-95% of the Intel performance for gaming plus 130-140% of the performance for other things.You also have to consider that that games aren't really CPU limited anymore. CS:GO will run 400 FPS on newest Intel CPUs, 350 FPS on AMD CPUs. So no functional difference.

Total War is different admittedly, and will benefit from he higher clocks, but I comfortably run Warhammer 2 on Ultra everything including unit sizes. I also play quite a bit of old mods like Roma Surrectum 2 . For reference, I run an i7-4790K, and I still max out all of my games. I will always encourage people to build their own PC, but if you must get a prebuilt, going with an i5 o Ryzen 5 isn't a bad deal. Especially if you can take the 100-150$ saved and put them into a 2070 or 2080.
    This precisely i why love this community even though i was gone for a longtime i see that at least nothing has changed in regards to fellow gamers helping one another out. I've learned so much from you both. I will most definitely follow up on all the information you've given me . I will make another run at building my pc on cyberpower and see what i come up with. I'll post the final specs here and see what you think if you don't mind. You have my gratitude and thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast