Thread: Installing both EB2 and SS6.4 on one PC (windows 7)

Laetus

Default Installing both EB2 and SS6.4 on one PC (windows 7)

Hello.

I've recently been given an old PC with a copy of Windows 7 and I've been amazed how well both the medieval 2 vanilla game and SS6.4 run on this machine. I'm hoping I might finally be able to play EB2.

So, I was hoping some wonderful people might be able to tell me, is it possible to have both SS and EB2 installed on one machine? After all, the only thing better than immersing yourself in classical history is immersing yourself in medieval history too!

I know SS is installed to a separate folder within the Kingdoms expansions' mods folder, I'm hoping EB2 is the same.

If any of the EB team (1 or 2) are reading this, you guys do incredible work. I'm extremely grateful!

Default Re: Installing both EB2 and SS6.4 on one PC (windows 7)

I remember back in EB 2.3, I used to have both SS6.4 and EB2.3 at the same time. I installed SS first, then installed EB. When I click the EB launcher, it also gave me the option to launch other mods such as SS.

All M2TW mods are modfoldered, completely self-contained without changing the vanilla files. So yeah, it should be.

There might be some issues with Steam version, AFAIK under some circumstances you have to replace one of the expansions with a mod, so you're limited to four mods at the same time, but that's just what I've heard (I have an old disc version).

As Sar1n said, mod-folders.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    All M2TW mods are modfoldered, completely self-contained without changing the vanilla files. So yeah, it should be.

There might be some issues with Steam version, AFAIK under some circumstances you have to replace one of the expansions with a mod, so you're limited to four mods at the same time, but that's just what I've heard (I have an old disc version).
    You can have any number of mods under Steam as well. However, I always run from a shortcut in Windows, but not in Steam, so there might be problems if somebody insists on running the game from the Steam

Laetus

Thanks for your help everyone.

It sounds like installing both mods could have worked. However I've since noticed that EB2 requires Kingdoms v1.05 to play and SS6.4 requires Kingdoms v1.04. I guess this is going to cause me some major difficulties.

Does anyone here know if its possible to have two separate Medieval 2 + Kingdoms installations on one machine? This is getting a bit too complex for me!

Thabks again 5o those who replied.

Quote Originally Posted by ARK93 View Post

It sounds like installing both mods could have worked. However I've since noticed that EB2 requires Kingdoms v1.05 to play and SS6.4 requires Kingdoms v1.04. I guess this is going to cause me some major difficulties.

Does anyone here know if its possible to have two separate Medieval 2 + Kingdoms installations on one machine? This is getting a bit too complex for me!

Thabks again 5o those who replied.
    Don't know about the Steam version, but retail definitely supports multiple installations. You'd need to probably uninstall your current one, install it again and update to 1.04, then copy the whole folder to another location and update the original to 1.05.

SS6.4 (not to mention SSHIP ;-) work perfectly well with Kingdoms 1.05
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    Don't know about the Steam version, but retail definitely supports multiple installations. You'd need to probably uninstall your current one, install it again and update to 1.04, then copy the whole folder to another location and update the original to 1.05.
    Thanks Sar1n.

That sounds doable. Since SS doesn't alter the vanilla files is it necessary to reinstall or do you think I can just capy the Game folder, delete the SS mod folder then update it? Thanks again for the help!

Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    SS6.4 (not to mention SSHIP ;-) work perfectly well with Kingdoms 1.05
    Thanks Jurand!

I spent ages searching to try and figure out if I can run SS6. 4 on v1.05. I'll take your word for it though and give it a try.

I've been looking into HIP recently. SS is great but it still lacks EBs realism. I particularly like the sound of the less flashly dressed troops, though I'm yet to see any screenshots of the HIP reskins. Quick question you may be able to answer. How does heir selection work in HIP? I've been using the next heir ancillary sub mod for SS6.4 and it's great. I think I'd really miss that feature if heir selection isn't so straightforward in HIP.

Thanks again Jurand!

Thanks Jurand!

I spent ages searching to try and figure out if I can run SS6. 4 on v1.05. I'll take your word for it though and give it a try.

I've been looking into HIP recently. SS is great but it still lacks EBs realism. I particularly like the sound of the less flashly dressed troops, though I'm yet to see any screenshots of the HIP reskins. Quick question you may be able to answer. How does heir selection work in HIP? I've been using the next heir ancillary sub mod for SS6.4 and it's great. I think I'd really miss that feature if heir selection isn't so straightforward in HIP.

Thanks again Jurand!
    Well, the EB2 realism is unsurpassed, imo. Many years, many modders, and QuintusSertorius who managed to hold the whole program together. The SS didn't have so much luck: there're many moders but they'd make their own small projects and, at the end, there're many mods but no one that can be compared to the SS in terms of historicity. Every modder is a primadonna, as Gigantus iirc put it.

Nevertheless, I think the SSHIP is the best mod around as far as historicity is concerned. We've actually disabled the heir ancillary system in the SSHIP because we consider it unrealistic. The main problem for the medieval kingdoms were constant dynastical stuggles and a bit of randomness in the selection of heir is more historical, in our opinion. We additionaly have a host of mechanisms for a civil war and civil strife to happen, and the next heir messed with it as well. However, if the player attain a crown, then a strong legacy from this fact to his sons plays a similar role as the next heir. But this is a stage of the game - and the goal for the player.

Laetus

Hi Jurand,

Just wanted to say, after a few months of moving home, planning another move, that falling through due to the Coronavirus situation, I finally got around to downloading and installing EBII alongside my SS installation.

This mod is amazing! Perhaps not so easy to dive into as SS but certainly the detail and new mechanics is incredible.

Thanks again for the help.

I'm probably going to give the SSHIP a go in the future, I'd just like to give SS's late era campaign a go first since I believe its removed in the HIP.

I agree about the heir selection to some extent, its just occasionally hard to imagine why the guy with no claim to the throne has suddenly become heir without any bloodshed taking place.