Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the internet killing religion?

Default Re: Is the internet killing religion?

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Well Classical not christian paganism certainly did create centers of learning and consistent moral philosophy like stoicism for example and of course the neo- platonic thought and logic that aided the early church fathers to turn Christianity into something more than a messiah riff on a small people's religion.
    Stoicism was not a religion, but a philosophy as you point out. The ancient classical religion like a belief in Zeus don't seem ro have much to do with the philosophical thought or the creation of their philosophical, and the ancient centers of philosophical thought wete not centered around the ancient gods. Pagans did create sophisticated philosophy, I don"t see their religious beliefs (paganism) having much role in that.
    Last edited by Common Soldier; February 01, 2020 at 04:53 AM.

basics's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Well Classical not christian paganism certainly did create centers of learning and consistent moral philosophy like stoicism for example and of course the neo- platonic thought and logic that aided the early church fathers to turn Christianity into something more than a messiah riff on a small people's religion.
    conon394,

Aye, and that Messiah riff continues to gather in a certain people even today all across the world without any " Classical " help just as it did then.

Quote Originally Posted by sam2MB View Post
    Some people don't like religion predictions, but prefer something more reliable like zodiac sign personal articles. There were a lot of times when they were concurring with the real situations.
    And a lot of times were they did not. Due to confirmation bias, people will remember the hits and forget the misses.

Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post
    Finally, our continuously improving understanding of natural laws and the universe means that the God of the Gaps has even less room to cover. The controversial debate on evolution perfectly illustrates this point: Darwin's brilliant breakthrough not only contradicted the Creation story of the Bible, but, much more significantly, also neutralised the most convincing argument in favour of theism, namely the Intelligent Design fallacy.
    Yes, that's why the fundamentalists tend to be so upset about evolution (or "Darwinism"). It could explain the variety of life on Earth in purely natural terms, and eliminated the need for a creator.

Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post
    Of course, the trend towards diminishing religiosity may be temporarily reversed by certain factors, such as demographic changes, impoverishment and even well-funded propaganda (Saudi Arabia's international Salafist campaign comes to mind), but I personally doubt about how solid their influence will be in the long term. They may lead religiosity to a temporary recover, but you simply can't fight against the global social and economic changes, even Riyadh and the Vatican spam respectively magnificent mosques and basilicas all over the world.
    I very much doubt it will make a dent in the long run. Even among Saudis in 2012, 19% stated that they are not religious, and 5% that they are "convinced atheists". And many Saudi atheists use the internet to communicate with each other.

MaximiIian's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Common Soldier View Post
    Stoicism was not a religion, but a philosophy as you point out.
    It developed, as did Platonism, Aristotelianism, Epicureanism, and other ancient philosophies, out of the polytheistic religious landscape of the Classical Greek world. Religion was inseparable from Greek society, and these philosophies developed from that society. If you insist that earl modern philosophy and medieval universities are the products of Christianity itself, then the ancient philosophies, schools of learning, and libraries were also a product of Hellenism.

...I don"t see their religious beliefs (paganism) having much role in that.
    That's because you're looking at it from the wrong angle. Ancient religion was not so heavily based around belief, but was instead framed on ritual and community. The belief structure was flexible. Ancient philosophy was akin to early Buddhism, in that it was an additional layer of beliefs, ethics, and practices that were structured in such a way to not interfere or contravene the traditional religion, but coexist with it.

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

It was coincidence.

No one ever seems to explain the mechanics of how astrology actually works.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    It was coincidence.

No one ever seems to explain the mechanics of how astrology actually works.
    Akar,

If they knew God they would know.

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

I don't understand? So you're saying that if people were Christian, they would know how Astrology works? Are you saying Astrology is real, but only for Christians? Are you saying that the movement of planets and celestial bodies actually has an effect on individual humans? Are you saying being born under specific star signs actually matters? I'm so confused.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar hey it geg

I have absolutely no idea how you’re equating believing in what I presume to be the Judeo-Christian Monotheistic version of God with the ability to understand the “validity” of an East Asian system of classifying constellations. I don’t see how believing one’s birthdate influences their personality/actions in some sort of predictive nature has anything to do Christianity whatsoever lmao.

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    I don't understand? So you're saying that if people were Christian, they would know how Astrology works? Are you saying Astrology is real, but only for Christians? Are you saying that the movement of planets and celestial bodies actually has an effect on individual humans? Are you saying being born under specific star signs actually matters? I'm so confused.
    Akar,

What I meant was that if they had a personal relationship with God our Saviour they wouldn't need to bother about star signs. When people religiously follow the stars it shows in them a lack of hope, a lack of confidence in why they are on this planet. Insecurity in a world fraught with dangers drives them to believe in materialism as the answer , that written in the stars. Most would probably say that they do it for a laugh but in reality they do it for hope, hope that something good will come their way. Count the number of programmes on TV that are now offering cash prizes and then think of the number of people who thinking of their star sign for that day will pick up the phone to enter. The real winners are the guys behind the offers not the poor soul whose become fixated by them.

ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar hey it geg

I don’t think the vast majority of people that are entering contests to win money do it because of their zodiac sign lmao
    Rep me and I'll rep you back.

UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF THE KING POSTER AKAR

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Quote Originally Posted by basics View Post
    When people religiously follow the stars it shows in them a lack of hope, a lack of confidence in why they are on this planet. Insecurity in a world fraught with dangers drives them to believe in materialism as the answer , that written in the stars. Most would probably say that they do it for a laugh but in reality they do it for hope, hope that something good will come their way.
    Is it not the same for believing in God(s), to hope something good will come out of it, out of nowhere, even though no logical being would bother with them even if it's capable? What has your faith offered them, other than empty hope and false confidence?

PS: I see you're merely jealous of alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by AqD View Post
    Is it not the same for believing in God(s), to hope something good will come out of it, out of nowhere, even though no logical being would bother with them even if it's capable? What has your faith offered them, other than empty hope and false confidence?

PS: I see you're merely jealous of alternatives.
    AqD,

May I amswer by saying all creation is obligated to God, especially mankind, but his problem is that they know He exists deep in their minds, it's the obligation that's the problem. Everyone hopes for something that relates to a better future but knowing God and Him knowing you is a far different proposition. For example the Christian gives back to God what He has already given them in Christ Jesus, that being their love and devotion for what they have already received. That's quit different from hoping that some god or other will come up with some goodies for them as other religions do. How often do we see that even the richest people in the world are not satisfied with what they have as they strive for more. For me who once believed in an alternative there is no comparison in what I believed then and what I am given to believe now. Experience ever since has proved it.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Quote Originally Posted by basics View Post
    How often do we see that even the richest people in the world are not satisfied with what they have as they strive for more.
    I cannot understand the first part of your answer at all. But about the richest - what's with the religion's stance on rich people being bad? As we all know some of the richest people in the past are quite religious and statistics showing there is a strong correlation between wealth and some of religions (and something with wealth accumulation over generations in a study I forgot long ago, if someone recalls).

Wouldn't you say that families who remain rich and religious are far more faithful than the poor ones, who have no hope in their current life and thus have no other path to take, while the rich ones willingly stay on the path?

Wouldn't you consider their wealth as the result of having faith and following religious teachings strictly, if they're religious?

People always strive for more regardless of wealth - some of us just never been able to get what we want

AqD,

God has no problem with a person having riches but he does have a problem with what they do with their riches, why? Because in simplistic terms it's easier to give up the little one has against the riches one has if one is to follow the principals of entry into heaven. The old saying that we came into the world with nothing and we leave the world with nothing must be a stark reminder of how short life on this planet can be so what's the point of storing riches up if one cannot take them with us wherever we are destined to go as we breathe our last.

Families who are rich are families who are prepared to give everything up to follow the Lord Jesus Christ, wealth in materialistic terms doesn't come into it other than to point out how hard it is to give them up. The story of the couple who sold everything they had yet kept back some for themselves is an example. They didn't live to see it or enjoy it. We assume they were saved because they were with the other believers but the point is in seeing how hard it is for a rich person to give up all that he has for God. Having said that I wouldn't go as far as to say or imply that the richer one is the more religious he is. One cannot buy their way into heaven, the prime example being Jesus Christ Himself Who as a man had nothing in material terms apart from the robe He wore and yet He alone is that doorway to eternal life in heaven.

Blaming the internet seems wrong. Easily disprovable timelines. Miracles unrecorded by contemporaries. Schisms that allow any idiot to make up what the Holy books mean. Holy Books whose histories we know are the result of political and personal considerations when composed centuries after prophets deaths. Science. Common sense. Telescopes. The eternal but know ever recorded hypocrisies of those who claim to be holy. More to blame.

wanderwegger,

If it weren't for the internet I wouldn't be able to enjoy seeing and hearing men like John MacArthur, RC Sproul, Ravi Zakarias, Paul Washer, Alistair Begg, Chuck Missler, Voddie Baucham and so many others who open up the Scriptures as they were meant to be understood. It also let's us see just how the world is sinking into the mire by people who reject God' word. So is it a good or bad thing? Perhaps a bit of both.

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

I'd think the thread's point is somewhat made when people have to call one's beliefs in general, their philosophy, and so on a broad term of 'religion' when it is obvious the conventional use is the one in question here.

There are surely cases where a wide reach of religious material has helped some in their belief, but I would believe it is by far overwhelmed by people being able to make their own choice in the modern era with a far more diversified core of knowledge and far reduced day-to-day importance of religion in society. The internet contributes to that quite a bit, although it's a progression of wider shifts, not a cause, perhaps not even a critical factor given where things were going prior to the internet being a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Common Soldier View Post
    Stoicism was not a religion, but a philosophy as you point out. The ancient classical religion like a belief in Zeus don't seem ro have much to do with the philosophical thought or the creation of their philosophical, and the ancient centers of philosophical thought wete not centered around the ancient gods. Pagans did create sophisticated philosophy, I don"t see their religious beliefs (paganism) having much role in that.
    Stoicism was a Spiritual Movement without doubt, it simply had not matured enough to be a State Religion, despite the chance with Marcus Aurelius (good as he was, he did order some persecution on Christianity), and their recommendations to respect the gods, said in plural. That means they offer advice on how to face a Polytheistic group of deities.
    It will be seen that, as used, the word ‘Fascism’ is almost entirely meaningless. In conversation, of course, it is used even more wildly than in print. I have heard it applied to farmers, shopkeepers, Social Credit, corporal punishment, fox-hunting, bull-fighting, the 1922 Committee, the 1941 Committee, Kipling, Gandhi, Chiang Kai-Shek, homosexuality, Priestley's broadcasts, Youth Hostels, astrology, women, dogs and I do not know what else.

-George Orwell

Number of Atheists is declining in % ratio, and Religious is increasing. Ironically, there's a Darwinistic explanation for this, given Religious movements incentive to have lots of children, which goes in geometric progression, and atheistic is just more or less, even by Darwin's evolution standards the same truth stands.

Simply we like to forget that there's more to the world than Europe and North America.
    It will be seen that, as used, the word ‘Fascism’ is almost entirely meaningless. In conversation, of course, it is used even more wildly than in print. I have heard it applied to farmers, shopkeepers, Social Credit, corporal punishment, fox-hunting, bull-fighting, the 1922 Committee, the 1941 Committee, Kipling, Gandhi, Chiang Kai-Shek, homosexuality, Priestley's broadcasts, Youth Hostels, astrology, women, dogs and I do not know what else.

-George Orwell

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast