Thread: Preparation for multi-destination trip?

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Icon5 Preparation for multi-destination trip?

First time here, previously I always flied to hotel with wheeled luggage and stayed on the same place for entire duration - little preparation was needed for that.

Is multi-destination troublesome, if I have like at least one week not including flights, to visit 3-4 places? could also add some train or ship routes or long distance bus trips in-between.

- sleeping: guess airbnb would be bad for that? Are those 1-3 star hotels or hostels in eastern and southern Europe usually clean (free from bed bugs)?
    - luggage: better with something like 50L backpack and a small daypack?
    - laundry: where do I dry the washed clothes or pack wet ones? or maybe minimum 2 days on each site?
    - disposable towels, underwear, etc?

Default Re: Preparation for multi-destination trip?

Wish I could offer advice, but I really don't have anything useful to add. I'd suggest packing at least a week long supply of underwear and socks. Personally, I've been to many roadtrips so I advise packing as light as possible, and keeping one pack for storage, and another for vitals (documents, money, phone, water). Otherwise, I think you have a better idea of what you need than I do.

Anywhere particular plan of where you're going, what you're going to do? It sounds like a fun trip.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

hello there mate.. since I've been traveling a lot around the World I think I can help you..

First, when you travel in multi-destinations always prepare a plan in advance, especially if you have to take more than one plane/train/bus rather than going with a car (rented or not) .. you don't want to lose a plain or a train, do you? So make a piece of paper or an electronic document where you register the plan for your trip (you can as well include the details of the various hotels and/or places to visit, like precise addresses, phone numbers etc), the more details you have the better it will be. As obvious as it is, let me stress a point: when you are on multi-destinations if you lose one plain or train or whatever, all your plan will be messed up!, so better being prepared..

For the same reason it's always good to have 2 copies of each booking/boarding card/ticket you need (even if you have the electronic format, always have at the least one printed copy, your phone/tablet can always fail/break/be stolen). Put one copy of those documents in your personal small luggage, the other copy in the bigger luggage (the one you use for the clothes).

If you are moving around a lot with luggage and all that, you might want to consider to rent a car, at the least for all those trips which are less than 3 hours long; if you are coming in Europe, with the exception of the trafficked areas of big cities, it's normally an easy going to drive a car here.

as per your questions

- sleeping: guess airbnb would be bad for that? Are those 1-3 star hotels or hostels in eastern and southern Europe usually clean (free from bed bugs)?
    any place that it's worth at the least 55-60€ per night (only the room) should be cleaned and offer you all the basic services.. price can vary upward up to 100%, but not much downward (best case scenario you can get a decent hotel for 45 €, very rare though), depending on where you are, but in general with an expense of 60 to 100 € per night you can get a good hotel everywhere in Europe (sometimes with breakfast included). I strongly suggest you to not to go to hostels, B&Bs etc.. the quality is never granted there. You can trust sites like Booking or Trivago for reliable reviews of hotels.

- luggage: better with something like 50L backpack and a small daypack?
    yes, but remember that many air companies in EU area apply an extra charge for large baggage and that you need to book it in advance together with the ticket (if you take the extra luggage charge at the airport they will ask you a lot more money).

- laundry: where do I dry the washed clothes or pack wet ones? or maybe minimum 2 days on each site?
    most hotels (usually from 3 stars and up) offer a daily laundry service; almost every hotel has a hairdryer in the toilet, that you can use to dry small clothes (underwear) that you washed yourself.

- disposable towels, underwear, etc?
    IMO, no... most of them are crap

let me know if you have any other question
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Icon11 Re: Preparation for multi-destination trip?

Thanks!! Will visit Poland first before the crowded summer season starts and Crete for historical sites in the gloomy winter. Details are not planned yet (or maybe I should now...)

PS: I can't drive

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

You're(almost) always going to end up using less than you pack. Getting laundry done most places shouldn't be a problem. Where are you thinking of going?
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Icon11 Re: Preparation for multi-destination trip?

Thanks you two! Unfortunately a full year of human life has been wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by King Athelstan View Post
    You're(almost) always going to end up using less than you pack. Getting laundry done most places shouldn't be a problem. Where are you thinking of going?
    Long trip has to be off-season, prob end of year to Italy, Spain or Romania, since Crete is not accessible in winter. The concerns for multi-site messing up is worrisome, as this year I had bad experience of losing luggage due to early closure and having to return next day. B&B, hostels are also out for the fear of worms (spiders in Pakistan are cute and friendly in comparison...)

So I'm guessing it has to be:

- 5-7 days for a big site or cluster of sites, living in a single hotel.
    - Then travel to another, also 5-7 days.

My budget for next year might allow me train travel! Or at least some parts.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Quote Originally Posted by King Athelstan View Post
    Heh I just had the opposite experience, maybe I showered too often!

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    If you are moving around a lot with luggage and all that, you might want to consider to rent a car, at the least for all those trips which are less than 3 hours long; if you are coming in Europe, with the exception of the trafficked areas of big cities, it's normally an easy going to drive a car here.
    I can't drive and it doesn't feel safe (can't drive with eyes closed like walking). Instead I have a ~60L backpack, about 3-4 days of clothing - that's why laundry is needed almost daily.

let me know if you have any other question
    There is a plan in progress: Argos, Nestor and Patras for Mycenaean civilization. But for the first time in Greece (where public transport is not highly praised) maybe I should stick with big cities where train is readily available instead of bus and mixed transport?

The plan is to schedule for each site: 1 day travel => 2 days visiting => 1 day rest and (repeat the 2+1 visit/rest), then 1 day for domestic travel. Does this sound reasonable? can't do anything else on travel days since merely carrying the backpack from/to hotel is exhausting..

Blog Entries

What about Covid? I mean, I doubt you can travel in Europe because of tourism RN, nor in the short future.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

By the end of this year or summer? Seems likely as the situation in Greece isn't too serious.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Icon9 Re: Preparation for multi-destination trip?

any place that it's worth at the least 55-60€ per night (only the room) should be cleaned and offer you all the basic services.. price can vary upward up to 100%, but not much downward (best case scenario you can get a decent hotel for 45 €, very rare though), depending on where you are, but in general with an expense of 60 to 100 € per night you can get a good hotel everywhere in Europe (sometimes with breakfast included). I strongly suggest you to not to go to hostels, B&Bs etc.. the quality is never granted there. You can trust sites like Booking or Trivago for reliable reviews of hotels.

yes, but remember that many air companies in EU area apply an extra charge for large baggage and that you need to book it in advance together with the ticket (if you take the extra luggage charge at the airport they will ask you a lot more money).

most hotels (usually from 3 stars and up) offer a daily laundry service; almost every hotel has a hairdryer in the toilet, that you can use to dry small clothes (underwear) that you washed yourself.

daily is not enough unfortunately

The current trip has offered me some insight, that any long trip would be a disaster and multi point would be much worse, with smelly wet clothes in heavy backpacks.

Thanks for the help anyway! My new trips will be like 4 days max, weekdays only, right in the geometric center of all sites to visit, and in hotels, facing inward with no view whatsoever, unless there are double windows and district heating all seasons to keep indoor dry.

(But it also means hotel price would be like 100 a day >_<)

I'm aborting my first trip before the city drives me insane! There are even car beeps - hadn't heard that for 3 years

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AqD View Post
    I'm aborting my first trip before the city drives me insane! There are even car beeps - hadn't heard that for 3 years
    that's sad

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

that's sad
    You mean the aborting is sad or having car beeps is sad?

The trip has completely changed my perspective and future plans. I feel I've been spoiled too much like hobbits in hobbiton, and past the age for adventures