Thread: Porthole/Portrait/Unitcard help.

Default Porthole/Portrait/Unitcard help.

I`m creating a mod that will finally end the ridiculously ugly wives that the vanilla game has provided,I have already made lore-friendly replacements for the barbarian faction women but I can't seem to get the images to work in game.

I`m kind of sick of it at this point,that every game I try to mod has some obscure image saving or compression settings that puts a wrench in your work and you have to dig in the ass end of the internet to get around it.

So here is what I've done basically:
    1.Got the images for all the 15 barbarian wives variations from ui>portraits>portholes>att_cult_barbarian which are PNG format images.
    2.Used photoshop to edit those images while keeping the transparency the same way the vanilla images have it.
    3.Saved,then created a pack,then put them while maintaining the correct directory.
    4.Started the game,and the wife images are bugged.
    5.Downloaded another guy's mod to test,replaces one of his with mine,and that specific one that I made doesn't work while the others do.

So yea basically the deal is I`m saving the images wrong and I don't know which compression or color mode is correct,if anyone here has experience modding portholes and unit cards which is the correct way to save them?

I will even attach one of the images if anyone wants to run trough its properties

Souron's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Porthole/Portrait/Unitcard help.

Quote Originally Posted by armchairmodder View Post
    I`m creating a mod that will finally end the ridiculously ugly wives that the vanilla game has provided,I have already made lore-friendly replacements for the barbarian faction women but I can't seem to get the images to work in game.

I`m kind of sick of it at this point,that every game I try to mod has some obscure image saving or compression settings that puts a wrench in your work and you have to dig in the ass end of the internet to get around it.

So here is what I've done basically:
    1.Got the images for all the 15 barbarian wives variations from ui>portraits>portholes>att_cult_barbarian which are PNG format images.
    2.Used photoshop to edit those images while keeping the transparency the same way the vanilla images have it.
    3.Saved,then created a pack,then put them while maintaining the correct directory.
    4.Started the game,and the wife images are bugged.
    5.Downloaded another guy's mod to test,replaces one of his with mine,and that specific one that I made doesn't work while the others do.

So yea basically the deal is I`m saving the images wrong and I don't know which compression or color mode is correct,if anyone here has experience modding portholes and unit cards which is the correct way to save them?

I will even attach one of the images if anyone wants to run trough its properties
    Hi Armchairmodder,

I have dabbled in the past in doing these edits myself but the most of my in game image editing has been done in the flags part under UI. To speak from experience i use GIMP to edit images and drag and drop an exported file in and work on-top of that png. i will then save over the top of the extracted file and not change any of the settings that pop up. in regards to the dds files i would follow the same pattern and see if that helps.

not sure what editor you are using, but maybe give gimp a try! also if you would like me to double check the structure of your packfile with where the UI folder is placed just drop an image in and i can take a look just to double check.

hope this helps!