Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast

Thread: Iraqi protesters storm U.S. embassy in Baghdad

Default Re: Iraqi protesters storm U.S. embassy in Baghdad

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Goldwater View Post
    In this particular context? I'd think that was obvious.
    It isn't, and portraying this conflict as a rudimentary tit-for-tat hides the complexities of the conflict and why this escalation is such a big deal. This was stupid, in my opinion, and I don't thin there's any way of predicting what Iran's response will be. Hopefully, mild.

Odenat's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Love Mountain View Post
    It isn't, and portraying this conflict as a rudimentary tit-for-tat hides the complexities of the conflict and why this escalation is such a big deal. This was stupid, in my opinion, and I don't thin there's any way of predicting what Iran's response will be. Hopefully, mild.
    You can hope for a mild response but that won't happen. There is a good reason for countries not killing foreign officials.

Imagine what would happen if Iran killed number 2 man at US government (Soleimani was no 2 at Iran). Would US's response be mild? Would US citizens expect a mild response? Iranians are asking for blood and they have a right to do so.

I don't understand how US officials will be safe anywhere in the world from now on. Iran will probably take "decisive defensive" action to "protect Iranian citizens and interests".

Armed drones are cheap and easy to operate. Anyone can be a target anywhere in the world.

B. W.'s Avatar Primicerius

Both Bush and Obama knew the guy was responsible for the deaths of many American soldiers and they did nothing. The guy was actively participating in actions against US personnel and he was doing it outside of his own country. It's about time he got his just due.

Trump is great!
    MB: ASUS ROG STRIX Z590-E GAMING WIFI
    CPU: Intel Core i7 11700K
    COOLER: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
    MEM: Corsair DDR 4 64Gb(16x4) 3600Mhz CL16 Vengance LPX
    VGA: RTX 3080 ZOTAC GAMING Trinity OC
    SSD 1: ADATA XPG GAMMIX S50 Lite NVMe M.2 2TB
    SSD 2/3:
    ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro NVMe M.2 2TB
    PS: Corsair HX850 Series 80+ Platinum 850W
    CASE: Full-Тower Corsair Graphite 780T
    Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B 31.5", WQHD(2560 x 1440), 165Hz, 1ms, HDR10, ELMB

Quote Originally Posted by B. W. View Post
    Both Bush and Obama knew the guy was responsible for the deaths of many American soldiers and they did nothing. The guy was actively participating in actions against US personnel and he was doing it outside of his own country. It's about time he got his just due.
    When Obama authorized a drone strike on a terrorist the right was horrified and called him a tyrant and murderer just because the terrorist had never officially renounced his US citizenship. I think it's safe to assume that, had Obama taken out Suleimani, the right would mourn him as well.

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Default Qassem Soleimani is dead.

Saw pics of his body, which I obviously won't repost here.
    Confirmation by the US as to that they did it:
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ENUwRk8WwAAuDRk?format=png

Questions are:
    1) How will Iran react
    and
    2) Will the US leave Iraq when the Iraqi government asks them to? The public sentiment there has swung from mildly anti-Iranian to strongly anti-American.

The obvious disrespect of Iraqi national sovereignty and the fact that only 9 of the victims of the first attack were members of the Kataib Hezbollah, the rest belonging to other PMU militias and the REGULAR IRAQI ARMY and the Americans still declared it to be a good thing tells you something about American diplomacy. Well done

EDIT: Whoops, already being talked about in the other thread. Move or delete pls
    Last edited by Cookiegod; January 03, 2020 at 03:16 AM.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Odenat View Post
    You can hope for a mild response but that won't happen. There is a good reason for countries not killing foreign officials.

Imagine what would happen if Iran killed number 2 man at US government (Soleimani was no 2 at Iran). Would US's response be mild? Would US citizens expect a mild response? Iranians are asking for blood and they have a right to do so.

I don't understand how US officials will be safe anywhere in the world from now on. Iran will probably take "decisive defensive" action to "protect Iranian citizens and interests".

Armed drones are cheap and easy to operate. Anyone can be a target anywhere in the world.
    Calling Soleimani the number 2 is more than a stretch. Especially since Rouhani got that seat, but there are plenty of others as well.

But the rest is correct. Iran is obliged to respond or otherwise lose face, as the war hawks ordering the strikes fully well knew. Sucks for any of the US service members who will suffer the response, but heck, those making the decisions rarely have to suffer the consequences. If Iran doesn't respond, the US will take it as a sign that they can attack them as they please.

I don't think U.S. will take it as a "sign" that they can do whatever they want, that's not really the paradigm of thought in U.S. military community. From U.S. perspective, this was retaliation. Iran has to respond because its own internal politics likely demand it, not because they are afraid of signalling weakness to United States. Everybody understands that Iran is much weaker than United States. The main challenge for United States in the middle east isn't defeating Iran, it's maintaining a coalition of allies that will follow U.S. demands and certain rules. The United States maintains this hegemony by appearing "fair", and powerful enough to maintain a security arrangement to its liking. Iran's goal is to challenge that idea and show that United States cannot do that.

This heavy-handed "retaliation" can potentially swing this game into Iran's favor. In the eyes of Iranians, the middle east, and other international observers, Iran has a carte blanche to respond in any way it chooses.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanoi View Post
    Lol prevent war? Is that what you are really telling yourself? You seriously think Iran isn't going to retaliate?
    Well, I don't see them escalating to a full scale war, since 1) the US just killed their most capable commander (which certainly took me by surprise, didn't think you people had it in you), and 2) more importantly, their demographics are not suited to such a conflict, unless they draft tens of thousands of bored Afghans and Iraqis with doubtful loyalties. Which would probably be a bad idea for Iran itself.

Default Re: Qassem Soleimani is dead.

The Armenian Issue

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Love Mountain View Post
    I don't think U.S. will take it as a "sign" that they can do whatever they want, that's not really the paradigm of thought in U.S. military community. From U.S. perspective, this was retaliation. Iran has to respond because its own internal politics likely demand it, not because they are afraid of signalling weakness to United States. Everybody understands that Iran is much weaker than United States. The main challenge for United States in the middle east isn't defeating Iran, it's maintaining a coalition of allies that will follow U.S. demands and certain rules. The United States maintains this hegemony by appearing "fair", and powerful enough to maintain a security arrangement to its liking. Iran's goal is to challenge that idea and show that United States cannot do that.

This heavy-handed "retaliation" can potentially swing this game into Iran's favor. In the eyes of Iranians, the middle east, and other international observers, Iran has a carte blanche to respond in any way it chooses.
    Americans do cost benefit analysis like everyone else. Give them a big enough headache and they will remember next time they consider this type of action. Do nothing and they will be more inclined to do a repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    Well, I don't see them escalating to a full scale war, since 1) the US just killed their most capable commander (which certainly took me by surprise, didn't think you people had it in you), and 2) more importantly, their demographics are not suited to such a conflict, unless they draft tens of thousands of bored Afghans and Iraqis with doubtful loyalties. Which would probably be a bad idea for Iran itself.
    Have you missed the last few years? The militias that Iran helped create in Iraq and Syria do include tens of thousands of Afghans and Iraqis.

Trump promised no war so major escalation is a bad thing. Obama used diplomacy so diplomacy is a bad thing. I’m not sure how many more tools he has left.

EDIT: nevermind. Its been confirmed a US strike.
    I'd say that you were at least correct in noting that it was a move right out of the Israeli playbook. In fact, Israel publicly threatened to kill Soleimani somewhat recently.

Lol prevent war? Is that what you are really telling yourself? You seriously think Iran isn't going to retaliate?
    They will feel honor-bound to retaliate in some way, but I don't expect there will be any more of a war than there already is. From the perspective of not expecting any sort of reconciliation in the foreseeable future, I'd say it's a fairly effective approach. That's exactly why the Israelis use it. If anything, the US just gained a degree of respect in the region. I suspect even begrudgingly from the Iranians.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by Coughdrop addict View Post
    When Obama authorized a drone strike on a terrorist the right was horrified and called him a tyrant and murderer just because the terrorist had never officially renounced his US citizenship. I think it's safe to assume that, had Obama taken out Suleimani, the right would mourn him as well.
    Lol no, the right was pointing out how the press and the left completely ignored it but whined like little children when Bush did. It was the hypocrisy that was the issue. Being ineffective though and pushing for War with Syria was another issue.
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    They will feel honor-bound to retaliate in some way, but I don't expect there will be any more of a war than there already is. From the perspective of not expecting any sort of reconciliation in the foreseeable future, I'd say it's a fairly effective approach. That's exactly why the Israelis use it. If anything, the US just gained a degree of respect in the region. I suspect even begrudgingly from the Iranians.
    That is complete bull. Putting aside that we do not know who did that attack that killed the American civilian contractor in an area where a multitude of other forces besides the PMU are active, even ignoring that there have been multiple strikes against Khataib Hezbollah before (the Israeli one was still carried out with American support, so there's really zero difference) and that the entire escalation was entirely avoidable to begin with, the strike killing 25 people did not only kill Kata'ib Hezbollah members, but also members of other groups and members of the REGULAR Iraqi army.
    Not only is this tightening the bonds between the Iraqi Shia and Iran, it's also putting heavy pressure on the Iraqi government to demand the US to leave, and forcing everyone to leave.

No one is doubting American military capabilities and their inclination to use them.

But to behave like the proverbial elephant in a porcelain shop doesn't gain you respect, it just gives you a lot of broken porcelain, and likely some nasty cuts at the elephants feet.

Best outcome of this is that if the Iraqis succeed to expel the Americans, they'll also have to leave Syria. With the Russians to the north and the government to the south, the occupation will become nothing short of untenable.

From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie

we do not know who did that attack that killed the American civilian contractor
    It doesn't even matter. They know why Soleimani was killed.

Not only is this tightening the bonds between the Iraqi Shia and Iran
    As I said, "from the perspective of not expecting any sort of reconciliation in the foreseeable future", this is inevitable.

it's also putting heavy pressure on the Iraqi government to demand the US to leave
    What's the problem?

No one is doubting American military capabilities and their inclination to use them.
    You are mistaken, many doubt the US's inclination to use its military capabilities. In fact, there is quite a bit of frustration among Arabs regarding the US's disinclination to use them against Assad and Iran.

But to behave like the proverbial elephant in a porcelain shop doesn't gain you respect
    Killing Soleimani specifically isn't just some random act of violence. Your reaction comes across like you projecting your feelings and your European sensibilities on the situation, but I appreciate your concern about the implications for our foreign policy. I know you only have America's best interests at heart.
    Last edited by sumskilz; January 03, 2020 at 07:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Citizen

It doesn't even matter. They know why Soleimani was killed.
    Yeah, as knows the rest of the world.

As I said, "from the perspective of not expecting any sort of reconciliation in the foreseeable future", this is inevitable.
    Yeah, so let's have our enemies get as many allies as possible. More targets! Pang pang! Murrica F yeah! Ratttatatttatatah! Booom.
    What's the problem?
    Stupid question.
    You are mistaken, many doubt the US's inclination to use its military capabilities. In fact, there is quite a bit of frustration among Arabs regarding the US's disinclination to use them against Assad and Iran.
    lol no.
    Killing Soleimani specifically isn't just some random act of violence. Your reaction just comes across like you projecting your feelings and your European sensibilities on the situation, but I appreciate your concern about the implications for our foreign policy. I know you only have America's best interests at heart.
    Hey American citizen, last I checked this didn't happen in Texas or in Tel Aviv. This has implications for the whole world, and the whole world is reacting to it. And yeah, it's not a random act of violence, it's an act of war. Also you're one to talk while projecting your Israeli sensibilities on the poor Arab allies, aka the house of Saud. Aww.

nhytgbvfeco2's Avatar Praefectus

Just about everyone in the middle east is (or, was now). That's what happens when an administration draws a red line and does nothing when it is crossed.
    May Suleimani burn in hell.

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

What a story to wake up to. Soleimani, as most here are aware, was essentially the third highest figure in Iranian politics, after Khamenei and Rouhani. Since he was a military target and the attack was on Iraqi soil, this attack is not quite 'a declaration of war' on Iran, but it's pretty close. I'm interested to hear opinions on the following things:

1. How will Iran respond to this? Anything less than a Benghazi 2012-style attack will seem quite muted. But Iran is hardly in a position to go in all guns blazing against the Americans - without their top general, in the wake of more massive street protests against the government in recent weeks, and with the Israelis and Saudis just waiting for any excuse to cripple Iranian operations in the Gulf and Syria/Lebanon, they stand to lose quite a lot in the event of a major escalation. My guess is we'll just see more of the same as we have seen recently with the ship seizures and missile attacks in Saudi Arabia, and perhaps some kind of embassy attack, as well as a ramp up of nuclear program rhetoric. In the long term, we may see a major government-sanctioned terror plot somewhere unexpected (but probably not on American soil). The UAE, perhaps.

2. What will happen in Iraq? I've not been following events there closely, but I know they're at a moment of very high political tension in the wake of protests and the resignation of the PM. Interesting that this BBC video from last week puts the spotlight firmly on Soleimani as the bogeyman for anti-government protestors there. I wonder if this is the prelude for an American attempt to take back control of affairs in Iraq from the Iranians. But it's a dangerous game to be playing, considering the role Soleimani played in suppressing IS, the flagrancy of the attack on Iraqi government personnel, and the level of tensions on both sides. Will we see a major civil war breaking out, maybe even another refugee crisis?

3. What is Trump's strategy here? One always wonders how much his decisions are based on advice and long-term strategy, or just his own 'smart' ideas. Republicans are celebrating the killing, as you'd expect. Of course, his domestic situation must be a major motivating factor here - coming out of an impeachment, and into a reelection campaign. But perhaps it's part of a strategy to initiate a counteroffensive on Iranian hegemony in the Middle East and try to get back on the front foot on the world stage, demonstrating that America still has teeth even if they don't want to get involved in foreign wars. Or perhaps it was just a dumb decision whose consequences were not thought through. Or indeed, all of the above.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."