Thread: [Questions] Assembly_Kit trouble

Default [Questions] Assembly_Kit trouble

Sorry if this is too out of place, most places I looked were ghost towns, and this started off being a thread announcing a submod I want to start making.

What is the difference between "VariantModels" vs "_VariantModels" in raw_data?

Every time I open a file for TWeak, from double-clicking on it in an Explorer window, I get "Ignoring Unknown Command Line Argument" when TWeak opens no nothing loaded.

In the errors, I also see a lot of:
    "Modifier... used in effect... does not exist in the shader library and thus will not be used."

"Direct3D failed to compile" errors 2, 3, and 10

I downloaded/exported models into raw_data when I opened a definition and many things didn't load. I put some models and definitions in working_data, and no missing torsos. Can't find any answers of where I export, raw or working, it's always left out.

"variantmeshes\_variantmodels\man\armour\(file) could not be opened"

Some model folders have additional folders with models and tex folder. No idea why it's like that so don't know if I should leave it alone or have to transfer out all data for TWeak to register it.

Been struggling to find any answers and want to get this fixed before I start modding my reforms mod so something like losing all my work doesn't happen. I'd also like to find 3D viewer that lets me change the model showing quickly so I can easily move through my mesh database I'm try to create.

Thanks, I'm slowly making my way through Magnar's tutorials on YouTube.
    Last edited by NorthernXY; December 28, 2019 at 12:50 PM.

Default Re: [Questions] Assembly_Kit trouble

First off, are you just looking to modify variantmeshdefinitions or modify actual models?

Just definitions for now, though I don't doubt I'll eventually try to make my own models. I'd rather not unnecessarily have one of raw or working_data be hogging up my hard drive. I've just been exporting everything in the mods I like and some are larger than 1 GB, so it adds up fast, especially with still needing the mod pack file in data to use.

Hmm, I just noticed you use TWeak, which I don't, with the PFM Manager, you can just export the definitions as text files and reimport them or build new ones and import those.

I know Magnar does it that way, but I'm trying to create new units and don't know what the meshes look like. I need at least a good viewer so I can cycle through them quickly.

I want to make a lot of small reforms so factions can trigger more than the none to 3 now. Being that I'm going to be making lots of "What if...?" units, I'm probably going to be constantly looking for inspiration for a units look. Like what if Suebi conquered Gaul and some of Italy, would they adopt more very heavy infantry like Rome, or if they go East, they might get more Germanic steppe horse unit reforms.
    Last edited by NorthernXY; December 28, 2019 at 08:27 PM.

Demosthenes26's Avatar Libertus

I always put new assets in working data, and follow whatever file structure is already there. What I like to do is create a first draft of a unit in assembly kit, and then make tweaks to the same file in pfm as I am testing it ingame. Once I know what everything I'm working with looks like I tend to use pfm, but assembly kit is invaluable for seeing how everything can fit together!

Right now I need to get past what is causing it to crash on me half the time I try to load something. Probably need to rebuild my model library from scratch.

EDIT: Renamed my AK then downloaded a fresh AK, still getting the same errors.

EDIT 2: A couple attic helmet models are shown as strips of graphics while still retaining the shape. In my models_rome2, after extracting it, nearly everything takes up 0 Kb.
    Last edited by NorthernXY; December 31, 2019 at 02:09 AM.

Damn, now I want to start making my own models. Want progression of Greek helmets and armours with reforms. Rome's helmets are just so damn pretty. Completely lost.

This tutorial is the only one I have been able to find for importing new models: https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...-Up-and-Helmet
    I would like to do the same at some point (well edit existing models more than creating entirely new ones) but I haven't started yet so I'm not sure if the steps in the tutorial still work exactly as laid out. Some recent mods such as Benjin's AAA generals mods do add entirely new helmet and armour models, so it is still possible.

EDIT: As for your technical issues, maybe try re-verifying/doing a totally clean install of Rome 2 & the assembly kit? haven''t had that specific issue before myself.

I have had the issue with the wrong texture being applied to helmets- I found that i had my helmet in the unit VMD was a variantmeshdefinintion when it should have been a variantmeshreference (or vice versa) and switching this fixed the weird texture issue.
    Last edited by Demosthenes26; January 08, 2020 at 07:12 PM.

Thanks, right now I'm learning Blender, a free open-source modeling program. Everybody on these forums seems to have 3Ds Max 20XX, so am relying on YouTube. I have experience writing script with EUIV so modeling is my Moby Dick right now, as well as predicting how factions' unit would progress in order to at least not get conquered by Rome. Example, the Diadochi have pike phalanx as the base of their army, using that as a starting point, from there how could they reform in order to achieve victory. Something similar to Philip taking the hoplite phalanx and converting it to a pike phalanx.

So far been thinking of guisarmes, hook, long spear, perpindicular spike. Hook to pull Roman shields, spear does its job, spike can be brought down over the top of shield onto a helmet if they swing it down.

Other is attaching heavy darts to a shield for use right before they they bring their sarissa down. Light enough though to give some space to bring them down.

A month from posting and I'm now thinking of my own mod, or game. As I'm learning by building my own 3D castle on a local, near perfect spot, I wondered what would it take to breach it. Most battles are sieges in game, of the same city plans. While I was struggling to get a good 3D model of it, I thought it'd be great to get to build a castle anywhere on Earth and have friends try to siege it. Have DLC for new eras and different cultural styles. Have historical castles, maybe fantasy (rights), and community built castles people could choose from if they didn't have one pre-built. Hell, partner with Paradox on CKIII to make war in their games interesting.

A plateau of granite with a divertable stream 4Km away, and it could possibly be diverted as a moat. There's a smaller, but larger plateau beneath the first. Build a city wall from the river to castle, moat running parallel on both sides.
    https://i.imgur.com/mXNLNZ9.jpg

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

As I'm learning by building my own 3D castle...
    Are you talking about a Paradox mod? I don't really think you can add anything to battle maps in Rome 2, they are compeltely unmoddable.
    You should be able to change settlement strat models only.

3Ds Max 20XX/Blender
    Are you sure you can use Blender for Rome2? Maybe by exporting the file into another extension? Dunno.

No, I saw a video of a completely fan made city on the Warhammer forums, but also because I LOVE castles. I've found mod making to be more like the South Park episode they play Warcraft and just spend their whole time doing monotenous task just to play a couple minutes.

It can export .obj files and from there it's not too hard.

As always, appreciate your insight. Just biding my time till 1.7, no pressure though.

Blender is certainly the best freeware 3d modeling program that I know of! But I've stuck mostly to Maya in the past - Youtube tutorials are definitely your friend, and I'm sure there are a wealth of them for Blender. IIRC exporting to .obj meant reassigning textures (but not recreating UV maps, thankfully) but that was with different programs.

Guisarmes would certainly be a potent weapon-polearms in general were king once they were invented. Unfortunately if you try combining a phalanx unit with a missile unit the AI will bug out. But for my Athens mod I'm definitely thinking of combining Thorakitai with Kestrosphendones as a way to hopefully counter Rome.

As much as I wish it wasn't true (I would absolutely love to recreate ancient cities for Rome 2) Jake is right about editing battle maps for Rome 2 specifically. For some reason CA never released a battle map editor for the game, though they did for Attila and apparently the Warhammers.

Patrician

For some reason CA never released a battle map editor for the game, though they did for Attila and apparently the Warhammers.
    Did they? Don't think so. I think it is just some hex editing done by some modders. You can somehow remove parts of the map (like that weird attila lotr mod settled in eurasia...) or even change boundaries (maybe).
    But you can't do a new map from scratch.
    They never released a tool for doing the map you want 'cause it is counterproductive for selling newer games. They noticed the modding boom M2TW had and so they decided to stop "fantasy" worlds.

Hmmm maybe I was wrong, but I thought I had heard there was some sort of battle map (definitely not campaign map) editor for Attila (I think called TED or Terry or something?), and there are certainly mods of custom cities: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil.../?id=564877514
    Last edited by Demosthenes26; January 31, 2020 at 02:21 PM.

Patrician

oh...
    Sorry, I directly changed the argument into campaign map, while you were actually talking about battle map.
    Anyway, thx for sharing it, I wasn't even aware of that TEd thing...
    It seems it is not working for Rome 2, I'll check and ask further info to "sir" Benjin.

also, check here: https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...rojects/page16

@ Northern and Demosthenes:

I've seen you've begun modding, PM me if you're interested into joining a DeI submodder group here in TWC (and discord).
    You'll find some infos/tutorials, a private space and almost everyone who is submodding DeI.
    Last edited by Jake Armitage; February 01, 2020 at 09:18 AM.