Thread: How modable is Thrones is Brittania

Linke's Avatar Hazarapatish

Default How modable is Thrones is Brittania

Hello, I'm hoping someone with experience of modding Attila TW and this game can answer.

How does ToB compare to Attila when it comes to modding. Does startpos compiling work the same or not? I don't own the game and I'm not quite clear on if the official mod tools even work.

Happy for answers!

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: How modable is Thrones is Brittania

PFM works, there is oficial Assembly Kit for ToB....so modability is similar to Attila.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Souron's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Linke View Post
    Hello, I'm hoping someone with experience of modding Attila TW and this game can answer.

How does ToB compare to Attila when it comes to modding. Does startpos compiling work the same or not? I don't own the game and I'm not quite clear on if the official mod tools even work.

Happy for answers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post
    PFM works, there is oficial Assembly Kit for ToB....so modability is similar to Attila.
    I am currently working on an full conversion mod in ToB and i haven't come across any Huge issues that you wouldn't already expect from modding Attila. The assembly kit seems to have a fairly common issue when it comes to modding start pos files but once you learn your way around this (it took so long send help!!!!) its not that tricky and i am yet to run into any mod breaking issues.

but i guess time will tell

If you have any questions on modding ToB please feel free to message me and i will try to help as much as i can!

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

The huge issue compared to the Medieval 2 or Rome is possibility to mod the maps. If there're such, there'd be Thrones of Rus or Thrones of Spain etc. The ecosystem would flourish. But it's not.

I'd welcome a really good conversion to ToB, I keep my fingers crossed.
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Souron's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    The huge issue compared to the Medieval 2 or Rome is possibility to mod the maps. If there're such, there'd be Thrones of Rus or Thrones of Spain etc. The ecosystem would flourish. But it's not.

I'd welcome a really good conversion to ToB, I keep my fingers crossed.
    I couldn't agree more on this front. it would amazing to be able to create your own maps to not only recreate places like you have mentioned but also maybe worlds of your own making but alas its not to be. This might very much be the pessimist in me but it almost feels rather intentional from CA's part to not allow these types of edits so that smart modders build future projects that they might have wanted to explore. Speculation of of course

My current project is purely a personal project as of yet but i hope that it will provide players eventually with a completely different experience from what i consider a greatly underappreciated game (more its mechanics than anything else)

if you are interested in the finer details of my plans for this my messages are open