Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: more turns per year please?

Libertus

Default more turns per year please?

can a four of two turn per year submod be created? 1 turn per year is a bit too quick for me, it was one of the things that made me dislike rome 2 vanilla

Default Re: more turns per year please?

Because all of packs in MKTW are not yet the final version, you can download and use PackFileManager to modyfy by yourself,
    Open 1212compbuild_v2.pack by PackFileManager and find directory below:

campaigns > main_attila > startpos.esf
    CAMPAIGN > COMPRESSED_DATA > CAMPAIGN_MODEL > CAMPAIGN_CALENDAR

The first line number is the turns/one year,
    for ex. 1 meaning 1 turn/one year
    24 meaning 24 turn/one year

the directory of the pack files is:
    (the installation path of steam)...\Steam\SteamApps\workshop\content\(6 digit number)\(10 digit number)

Live2sculpt's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by dirtytiger View Post
    Because all of packs in MKTW are not yet the final version, you can download and use PackFileManager to modyfy by yourself,
    Open 1212compbuild_v2.pack by PackFileManager and find directory below:

campaigns > main_attila > startpos.esf
    CAMPAIGN > COMPRESSED_DATA > CAMPAIGN_MODEL > CAMPAIGN_CALENDAR

The first line number is the turns/one year,
    for ex. 1 meaning 1 turn/one year
    24 meaning 24 turn/one year
    Thanks Dirtytiger.
    I'm interested in this as well.

Would you know if this change will automatically bring in seasons effects correctly?
    Such as a 12 turns entry resulting in 3 turns in each season, and not 3 cycles of 4 seasons per year.
    If seasons require a startpos edit as well, please let us know the line for that too.

Yes, it does.
    Don't worry about that.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!
    Artifex

How it's going to be in the final version of the TWMK? 1TPY or 2 or 4 ?

1 TPY, I think so.
    But In my opinion, considering that conscription (recruiting and training) and the distance of day's march,
    24 turns is more reasonable.
    one turn=15 days. Two turns=30 days

Quote Originally Posted by dirtytiger View Post
    1 TPY, I think so.
    But In my opinion, considering that conscription (recruiting and training) and the distance of day's march,
    24 turns is more reasonable.
    one turn=15 days. Two turns=30 days
    Given that, why would you say the team has resolved to keep the game at 1TPY instead?
    Is there some other efficiency to it?

Miles

The big problem with 1 tpy is the turnover rate on generals and governors. I'm lucky to get them for 30 turns before they die of old age and I've yet to reach the end of the skill tree on any family member. At the current experience rate it is impossible to get a governor past level 6 or 7 because there simply isn't enough time for them to level before they die of old age.

Quote Originally Posted by Live2sculpt View Post
    Given that, why would you say the team has resolved to keep the game at 1TPY instead?
    Is there some other efficiency to it?

Don't really know, I'm just guessing.

Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Artannis Wolfrunner View Post
    The big problem with 1 tpy is the turnover rate on generals and governors. I'm lucky to get them for 30 turns before they die of old age and I've yet to reach the end of the skill tree on any family member. At the current experience rate it is impossible to get a governor past level 6 or 7 because there simply isn't enough time for them to level before they die of old age.
    Indeed. But it gives also another dimention to the game: you need to choose the part of the skill tree. And there's a change of the generations in the game - in 4TPY it's getting really boring. I think 2TPY is the optimum number for the gameplay.

Miles

I've always found 4 tpy to be perfect. Anything lower - 2, 1 - and the campaign doesn't last long enough for any of my character choices and levelups to feel meaningful since they will be gone soon anyway. Anything higher - 8, 12, 24 - you risk dragging out the campaign and making it feel like I'm either conquering too quickly or turtling for too long. The higher tpy's are also difficult to balance for building and training times, even basic buildings will need very long building times to discourage the player sitting around and playing Simcity for 200 turns. The player is much better at building an economy and empire than the AI, and the more time I have to turtle the greater the gap between the AI and myself will become. With shorter times comes more danger and pressure to act and that pressure is essential for keeping the game interesting.

Artifex

I've always found 4 tpy to be perfect. Anything lower - 2, 1 - and the campaign doesn't last long enough for any of my character choices and levelups to feel meaningful since they will be gone soon anyway. Anything higher - 8, 12, 24 - you risk dragging out the campaign and making it feel like I'm either conquering too quickly or turtling for too long. The higher tpy's are also difficult to balance for building and training times, even basic buildings will need very long building times to discourage the player sitting around and playing Simcity for 200 turns. The player is much better at building an economy and empire than the AI, and the more time I have to turtle the greater the gap between the AI and myself will become. With shorter times comes more danger and pressure to act and that pressure is essential for keeping the game interesting.
    One of the questions is: how many turns a player usually plays. I think most games end after between 100 and 200 turns (I might be too optimistic though - most player perhaps drop their games after a dozen ;-) but I'm talking here about players who care about character progression). So if a character becomes adult at 14 (as it should be the case for 13th century) and diest between 50 and 60, it gives him 40 years of living. If you play 4TPY it makes 160 turns. It means you're stuck with the same generation for the whole game. With 1TPY there's indeed too short time have the feeling of character development. All this makes 2TPY a sweet spot for me.
    For those who want to play a historical mod in a medieval setting:
    try the Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project,
    or the Broken Crescent + Buff and Shine (if you'd like to play in Levant).
    ..........................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods: SSHIP (2018), Wrath of the Norsemen (2018), Broken Crescent (2018).
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding.
    Minimods included in the SSHIP 096: Generals' Traits, Provincial Titles, Offices, Crowns.
    Short guides for the SSHIP: population growth, forts and watchtowers.
    Pros and cons of having Merchants in an M2TW mod.
    Home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Dominant strategy in Attila TW and Rome 2 TW: “Sniping groups of armies”.

Miles

One of the questions is: how many turns a player usually plays
    Yes I think this is the most important question in the end. It seems that most play about ~120-150 turns in their campaigns before moving on. There are some who are bored after 50 turns and there are those absolute madmen that go for 400 turns but most of us are in the bottom end of the middle between those two extremes. In my experience with Attila you are almost never recruiting family members in their teens, you'll be lucky to recruit a general in their 20s and the vast majority will be in their 30s and 40s, even 50s rarely. It's not a bad thing to have 1 or 2 young family members that you have for the whole game while you go through a cast of older and lesser lords along the way. Attila is also the total war game with the youngest old age, in other historical TWs like Rome 2 characters are not in danger of dying from old age until they turn 60. In Attila as soon as a family member turns 40 they can die any turn. For me all of these things should be considered and I find that 4 tpy is the perfect setting.

Yes I think this is the most important question in the end. It seems that most play about ~120-150 turns in their campaigns before moving on. There are some who are bored after 50 turns and there are those absolute madmen that go for 400 turns but most of us are in the bottom end of the middle between those two extremes. In my experience with Attila you are almost never recruiting family members in their teens, you'll be lucky to recruit a general in their 20s and the vast majority will be in their 30s and 40s, even 50s rarely. It's not a bad thing to have 1 or 2 young family members that you have for the whole game while you go through a cast of older and lesser lords along the way. Attila is also the total war game with the youngest old age, in other historical TWs like Rome 2 characters are not in danger of dying from old age until they turn 60. In Attila as soon as a family member turns 40 they can die any turn. For me all of these things should be considered and I find that 4 tpy is the perfect setting.
    I would love a 4 TPY.
    If anyone has figured out the modding tools is it possible to release a version on steam or MODDB?

I see the instructions above but I wasn't able to figure it out last night with the suggested program reader (might try again later)...But my free time is limited.

Either way team. The little exposure I've had with this mod is incredible.
    I have not experienced any crashes or major bugs.

Julio-Claudian's Avatar Senator

It should be pretty easy to do a 4tpy submod surely? Just incease building/recruitment/technology times by 4. Unless the scripted events are done by number of turns not the year.

I'd def go for 4 TPY.

Gives more chance of children being born (I always seem to get more daughters than sons)
    Gives faction leaders more time to gain influence by being in the front line and fighting battles.
    I wouldn't necessarily multiply build times for settlement buildings or units by 4 though, max 2.

There's a TPY mod in Steam Workshops. I believe it messes up with the scripts. The great famine appearing in 1247 AD in my case, I played 10-12 turns with 1TPY, after that 4 TPY. I think it should appear in 1315.

So yeah, there's a TPY but scripts are done based on turns apparently, not years?

I used the 4 TPY mod in steam and its gone well. I didn't notice any script issue I think the 5th crusade fired on time. Personally 1 TPY really sapped my enjoyment of the campaign. I ran a Teutonic campaign with the base 1 TPY and it just felt pointless to even look at my tree or pay attention to generals due to quick turnover. Everything felt like a mad dash to expand before I hit the end. I get they want to cover a broad timeline but I think the same thing can be accomplished by different campaign start dates which already looks to be planned. An early, high, and late middle ages start would allow players to experience the whole period and differing units while still taking their time or painting the map if thats what they desire. Its hard to role play with constant family turnover and I have been enjoying my byzantine play through with the 4TPY mod on so much more. Obviously its early state but with the lack of late game unit availability in the campaign it feels silly to be running around with early period knights in 1400.

Please dont take this as a complaint I love the mod and it has given me hope of having a historical total war free of the fantasy elements present in 3K and troy since the warhammer take over. Just some general feedback and thanks for all your hard work!

Quote Originally Posted by Pratticus1990 View Post
    I used the 4 TPY mod in steam and its gone well.
    This is valuable to me. Which steam mod is this exactly? I was searching steam workshop but didn't recognize it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast